gari36

Are Most Punters Rich?

45 posts in this topic

Firstly I apologise if anyone finds this intrusive, but I've heard people on here talking about having 1,2,3 punts weekly or having had 100's over the years and was just wondering if this is due to preference or just having lots of disposable income. Basicly what I'm asking is do you think that earnings play a part in the likelyhood that someone would become a punter? How much do most guys on here earn?

Myself I'm very new to this but aim to punt about 10 times a year. I earn about £30k but I'm not sure wether this plays any part in the descision.

Firstly I apologise if anyone finds this intrusive, but I've heard people on here talking about having 1,2,3 punts weekly or having had 100's over the years and was just wondering if this is due to preference or just having lots of disposable income. Basicly what I'm asking is do you think that earnings play a part in the likelyhood that someone would become a punter? How much do most guys on here earn?

Myself I'm very new to this but aim to punt about 10 times a year. I earn about £30k but I'm not sure wether this plays any part in the descision.

Yes, I think you do have to have a fair bit of disposable income. An hour's punt costs around the same as a Michelin-starred dinner for two with wine, and anyone indulging in that a couple of times a month you would expect to be wealthy.

It's an interesting idea about high earnings leading one into punting - reminds me of that saying that Cocaine is God's way of telling you that you earn too much money. In my own case I could only punt as long as I feel that my families needs are being fully catered for, but if there is surplus cash available after that then it's OK for me to indulge myself a little.

I earn about the same as you and for the past two years I've done two 1 hour punts a month, approx. cost £250/month. I view most of it as money well spent, I'd sooner have the memories of the experiences I've had, than the money back.

This year, I've decided that I don't want to spend such a big chunk of my disposable income on punting and will probably cut it down to something like 18-20 punts for the year! If I earnt more I'd punt more, but I do wonder if my infrequent punting does meen I enjoy it more when I do go!?

I am semi-retard and punt 2 times, maybe 3 times a month at the local parlour for £60 a go. Total yearly cost perhaps £1800. Money well spent in my opinion. Some folks would spend that on a 2 week holiday, playing golf every weekend or sailing at the local yacht club. I don't consider myself rich by any stretch of the imagination but punting gives me more of a buzz than any of the aforementioned hobbies.

I don't think *most* punters are rich. I don't think wealth leads people to punting necessarily either. People punt for many different reasons. Wealth just perhaps leads to MORE punting!

I do know of some guys that steer a bit clear of forums because they find all the talk of guys and their prolific punting/spending to be a bit intimidating.

I meant retired !

no I'm not a retard...... :)

I do know of some guys that steer a bit clear of forums because they find all the talk of guys and their prolific punting/spending to be a bit intimidating.

It's worse on Twitter!

It is my view that punters merely choose to spend their disposable income on pleasures of the flesh.

Golf as a hobby in the South East, for instance would cost c£3K per annum

It's a matter of choice

I meant retired !

The best laugh I've had this week

:D:D:D :D

Doesn't it come later in your retirement years

I spend about £3600 a year on punting which I can just afford (about 2 punts a month).

But then I dont have a mortgage anymore and I dont drive a fancy car, go out for expensive meals or go on exotic holidays.

I shall be retiring soon so I am going to have to cut back on punting as my disposal income is going to be reduced.

This is not so much about wealth but disposable income.

If you can meet all your bills and have, say £300 per month spare than you can afford to punt on a fairly regular basis.

If you have to watch your pennies than you can't. There is no place here, or anywhere else for the guy who puts his punting ahead of managing his finances.

It is my view that punters merely choose to spend their disposable income on pleasures of the flesh.

Golf as a hobby in the South East, for instance would cost c£3K per annum

It's a matter of choice

I agree. I view punting as my favorite pastime and for me whatever i spend on good or better punts is money very well spent giving me memories that are priceless.

The best laugh I've had this week

:D:D:D :D

Doesn't it come later in your retirement years

Reminiscent of the Borat movie - ' My husband is retired - he doesn't do anything'........ Yes my brother he also retard he doesn't do anything - we keep him in a cage...

No..unemployed now, and have been for a few years.

During the 90`s and early noughties I was having 20-30 punts a year and it money well spent.Better than wasting it on holidays.

Only had 10 in the last 3 years. :(

So it`s very much a `considered` purchase these days.

I used to put aside a fair amount a month for holidays but after 20 years of this, it was becoming less exciting and quite routine. For the same money, I prefer to punt, which is always exciting and fun.

I'm not rich but my approach was to run a car into the ground to ensure I could have my holidays, and now in order to punt. Many guys will spend much more than I do on punting just to keep a fairly modest, but newish car, on the road.

I get much more pleasure and excitement from punting than I would ever get from having a car that was a few years newer than the one I have.

Edited by quitetallman

I used to put aside a fair amount a month for holidays but after 20 years of this, it was becoming less exciting and quite routine. For the same money, I prefer to punt, which is always exciting and fun.

I'm not rich but my approach was to run a car into the ground to ensure I could have my holidays, and now in order to punt. Many guys will spend much more than I do on punting just to keep a fairly modest, but newish car, on the road.

I get much more pleasure and excitement from punting than I would ever get from having a car that was a few years newer than the one I have.

Quite right !, buy a £20k car and it depreciates to like £10 or less within 3 years. I'd rather run an older car (which nowadays are perfectly reliable and rust free) and spend the balance on punting.

I meant retired !

Lol - I did wonder what you meant.

You should think about what percentage of your earnings you can justify spending on punting. If that's 10% of £24k net, you set a budget of £200pcm. I try to stick to my monthly budget and if I don't use it all, I roll it into the next month for a bonus. When I started, I experimented with what worked best for me for my monthly budget - higher end girls for 1 hour sessions, or cheaper parlours for 30 minutes, etc.

I have increased the percentage I set aside for punting over the years because I enjoy it so much and never feel that it was wasted money (can't say the same for the thousands I've wasted on kitchens and bathrooms!)

I think rich is quite a subjective word. I don't think I'm rich, but I earn much more than the national average wage, which is £26k gross. To someone struggling to support a family on minimum wage, I am rich.

In an absolute sense, I would imagine that that vast majority punters are on more than average wage, and much more than minimum wage, especially those who can afford the 'standard' hourly rate of £150. At that point, we probably count as rich.

I think rich is quite a subjective word. I don't think I'm rich, but I earn much more than the national average wage, which is £26k gross. To someone struggling to support a family on minimum wage, I am rich.

In an absolute sense, I would imagine that that vast majority punters are on more than average wage, and much more than minimum wage, especially those who can afford the 'standard' hourly rate of £150. At that point, we probably count as rich.

How much does a smoker or a serious drinker spend a month, probably a lot more than me on punting.

I meant retired !

just leaked wee laughing at that one!

Its really about disposable income. If you stick to parlours, and if poss, come to an arrangement, you can keep the price down. There are some seriously rich punters, but the majority seem middle-aged and confortable, for a small minority, its a big percentage of their income.

Quite right !, buy a £20k car and it depreciates to like £10 or less within 3 years. I'd rather run an older car (which nowadays are perfectly reliable and rust free) and spend the balance on punting.

Yes punting is financed by choices, in which, oddly, punting was not a factor.

I never smoked, have never (yet) got to 5 figures on a car, spent my life in a job that included ALL the visits to airports I could stand, and that job meant no wine or women for half each year. Result a surplus available to fill a need when it arose.

I think with anything else in life some are rich and some are not.

Judging by the amount of half hour's I have done over the year's I would say no, most punter's are not rich, but then, rich is different depending on which angle you are looking at it.

I think with anything else in life some are rich and some are not.

Judging by the amount of half hour's I have done over the year's I would say no, most punter's are not rich, but then, rich is different depending on which angle you are looking at it.

Its probable that some rich punters prefer 30minute punts. I think the amount of time you book may not always depend on whether you are rich or not.