jarevets

Impact Of Fuel Prices

16 posts in this topic

I caught myself thinking twice last week as to whether or not I should see a certain lady who is 20 miles away. In the end I did, 2 days later and after I had thought about what else I could be usefully be doing driving in that direction - all because of the price of fuel. Gents, is the price of fuel impacting your punting preferences? Ladies, are you seeing anything different? and..no I am not a sociologist. Just interested. Have a good weekend all.

£2 extra for petrol for travel costs is hardly likely to affect a punt, when the average cost of a punt is £120.

£2 extra for petrol for travel costs is hardly likely to affect a punt, when the average cost of a punt is £120.

What pisses me off is parking and then the meeting goes over the booked time and in the heat of the moment I either forget about it or miss the SMS and end up paying 60 penalty. Done that a few times :(

Yes, had to rush the end of a punt recently as the start was unavoidably delayed and I had only put 2 hours worth of parking on the ticket. Got away with it thankfully.

Fuel price has not affected my punting.

What pisses me off is parking and then the meeting goes over the booked time and in the heat of the moment I either forget about it or miss the SMS and end up paying 60 penalty. Done that a few times :(

Same here. I ensure i pay for more time than i need now but at parties its sometimes the case i have to move the car to another set of bays or be done for feeding the meter.

As to fuel prices they make no difference, i only punt within about a 50 mile radius of my home.

I tend to punt whilst on route to/from somewhere so extra cost minimal, but then I've always done that so no change, but isn't it time someone investigated the petrol companies - I thought cartels and price fixing was illegal.

The sad thing is, we would be delighted if the fuel prices went back to £1/litre (not that it would ever happen). Yet, when it hit £1 a couple of years back, there was mass demonstrations, campaigns etc.

I long for the days when I started driving and was filling up at 76.9p/litre

I realise that I am in the fortunate position of being able to combine most of my punting activity with business activities, am therefore not using much more fuel than I would otherwise and being able to claim most of it as business mileage. However, a lady in the North East ( 250 miles from me) where I have no business clients,has just come on my radar and I think I'm going to have to pay her a visit. I shall be looking at rail fare agsinst petrol cost / overnight stay.

The sad thing is, we would be delighted if the fuel prices went back to £1/litre (not that it would ever happen). Yet, when it hit £1 a couple of years back, there was mass demonstrations, campaigns etc.

I long for the days when I started driving and was filling up at 76.9p/litre

i worked in a garage in Leeds in 1977 and it was 72p a GALLON!

anyway, i have taken to driving a little slower. makes a huge diff to consumption, and doesnt really affect commuting time.

dont travel far to punts anyway!

It makes you think, not so many years ago I would on the spur of the moment drive from Kent up to Birmingham/Manchester/Nottingham just for a punt, but the last month I have like everyone had to cut back, I now travel to work by train (and seem to have constant coughs and colds...)and by buying a weekly its proving to be cost effective, I have now sussed that if I do the 5 minute walk to the station at week ends jump on the rattler which as I see it "for free" change at East croydon and jump on the Tramlink and head east using my Oystercard think its a couple of quid return and I get off at the station thats about 3 hundred yards from a nice Parlour! Petrol free punting!

Showing my age, I remember when petrol was 3/6 (in old money) for a gallon - so 17.5 in new pennies. Premium was 4 bob (20p to you). I wasn't punting then, as I was only about 7 or 8 years old, but the passing of time changes everything - and not just furl prices.

No I don't - I mean fuel prices.

Never post after a large whisky.........

I combine some punting with business travel but also travel for punts outside of this. I've done a couple of round trips of 160 miles and 75 miles for two recent punts and the thought of the price of petrol never crossed my mind.

No I don't - I mean fuel prices.

Never post after a large whisky.........

Why not? If I do that,I upset people, much more fun!

Due to living in a wg desert, all my punts require a 100 mile round trip, with a fuel cost of £20, my two monthly punts are thus costing me £40 in petrol. If you have unlimited funds it would matter not, but I have a strict budget of £250/month for punting, so it's very relevent to me!

What can be very annoying, is if I go to see a new girl and she decides not to answer her phone, when I've arrived in her street, as happend to me a month or so back!

In an effort to counter higher fuel costs; I now plan on what girl I see, based on whether I have another purpose to visit her town/city. I'm also going to be less fussy, in as much as, I will consider seeing a local girl even if she doesn't tick all my personal preference boxes. I did this in December, the girl I choose was not 100% my type but I had a fantastic time with her, so sometimes things can work out in your favour B)