Taggart

O2 Age Verification

48 posts in this topic

Just a heads up to some members who use O2, that there are restrictions being imposed on access to age restricted sites.

I've a smartphone, and after a lady had to cancel a booking last week when I was in Chester (due to a family emergency), I tried to find another using the 3G network, but had to call O2 to get the age bar lifted.

It's more of an inconvenince really, and the bar was lifted within an hour.

Just a heads up to some members who use O2, that there are restrictions being imposed on access to age restricted sites.

I've a smartphone, and after a lady had to cancel a booking last week when I was in Chester (due to a family emergency), I tried to find another using the 3G network, but had to call O2 to get the age bar lifted.

It's more of an inconvenince really, and the bar was lifted within an hour.

Did they lift this over the phone without you either having to pay by credit card on their site or like i was told i had to do, go to an o2 shop with age related ID?

I found this while out and about the other day and when trying to get it lifted with the credit card thing was told i'd tried too many times (!) and would have to go into an O2 store.

However, back home it worked fine as I was connected to my wi-fi.

Just tried again by called 61018 for the automated service and got it lifted.

Be warned though you need a credit (not debit) card handy and it basically needs to be visa!

You can either go into a shop or do it online or by calling 61018. Either of the last 2 options mean they take a payment of £1 off your card but then credit £2.50 back off your phone bill. Hmmmmmmm!

I found this while out and about the other day and when trying to get it lifted with the credit card thing was told i'd tried too many times (!) and would have to go into an O2 store.

However, back home it worked fine as I was connected to my wi-fi.

Just tried again by called 61018 for the automated service and got it lifted.

Be warned though you need a credit (not debit) card handy and it basically needs to be visa!

You can either go into a shop or do it online or by calling 61018. Either of the last 2 options mean they take a payment of £1 off your card but then credit £2.50 back off your phone bill. Hmmmmmmm!

They just gave me the credit card option or going into a o2 shop when i rang there customer services, they said under 18s can have debit cards so it wasnt possible to pay with one. As soon as i got home from the o2 store about 15 minutes later the adult site block had been lifted. They also said they will be doing this on a regular basis but now they have seen my ID there is a marker against my account which will mean it wont be blocked again.

Yes, I found this out too this week when I used an O2 dongle that I've had for a few months but hadn't used for a few weeks. When I started the laptop up and went to punternet, I was prompted to go through the age verification process. For some reason after I completed the verification, I was asked a few more times to do it but eventually it seemed to work...

the bar was lifted within an hour.

You did a hell of a lot better than me then. I fell foul of this a couple of weeks ago when my main internet connection was down for a week and my only access to adult sites was via my iPad. Sod's law meant that 24 hours after the iPad became my sole means to access here and the purple site, O2 slapped their age ban on me. The trouble with the iPad is that you can't ring anyone on it and all the numbers I tried would only lift the ban from the phone you rang from. I was banned from adult sites very early in their process and the website that their verification people (Bango) was not yet working. I had to wait 48 hours for the Bango site to become functional and then enter my credit card details (not a Visa btw). After that, it STILL took another 48 hours for the block to be lifted. And god knows if I'll ever get credited the promised £2.50.

What a palaver !

You did a hell of a lot better than me then. I fell foul of this a couple of weeks ago when my main internet connection was down for a week and my only access to adult sites was via my iPad. Sod's law meant that 24 hours after the iPad became my sole means to access here and the purple site, O2 slapped their age ban on me. The trouble with the iPad is that you can't ring anyone on it and all the numbers I tried would only lift the ban from the phone you rang from. I was banned from adult sites very early in their process and the website that their verification people (Bango) was not yet working. I had to wait 48 hours for the Bango site to become functional and then enter my credit card details (not a Visa btw). After that, it STILL took another 48 hours for the block to be lifted. And god knows if I'll ever get credited the promised £2.50.

What a palaver !

What a pain the arse. From first logging online to coming back from an o2 shop took about an hour but in the shop they did say it could take upto 24 hours to get full access back. When i first saw the bango page i thought it was a scam to be honest. :)

i thought it was a scam too as did the many people on a forum I visited to seek clarification.

To be honest, if they are going to keep blocking me after I've already paid a quid to have it unblocked then in my book it blooming well IS a scam - Once they've checked I'm 18 it's not like I'm going to suddenly become 16 is it.

I might march into their store and announce loudly that I'm a prostitute and need to be able to access my bookings and if they don't sort it out I shan't allow their manager to come see me in his lunch hour to be butt fucked with my large strap-on anymore :D

Did they lift this over the phone without you either having to pay by credit card on their site or like i was told i had to do, go to an o2 shop with age related ID?

It was sorted over the phone as I am a contract customer not PAYG. I've been a customer of O2 for a while, and they just asked my DoB. I cant fathom out why they hadn't realised I'd be over 18......

Yes my home wifi was OK, but McDonalds did like access to adult sites.... (:

It was sorted over the phone as I am a contract customer not PAYG. I've been a customer of O2 for a while, and they just asked my DoB. I cant fathom out why they hadn't realised I'd be over 18......

Yes my home wifi was OK, but McDonalds did like access to adult sites.... (:

It might of been a blanket block with no exceptions, hopefully when they do this again we will not be included as they said i definately wouldnt be. :)

i thought it was a scam too as did the many people on a forum I visited to seek clarification.

To be honest, if they are going to keep blocking me after I've already paid a quid to have it unblocked then in my book it blooming well IS a scam - Once they've checked I'm 18 it's not like I'm going to suddenly become 16 is it.

I might march into their store and announce loudly that I'm a prostitute and need to be able to access my bookings and if they don't sort it out I shan't allow their manager to come see me in his lunch hour to be butt fucked with my large strap-on anymore :D

That will do the job, and funnily enough the guy in the o2 shop i went to was walking very strangely. :D

Can we all come and watch (you making your announcement in the shop, not the manager being butt fucked!!) ?

It might of been a blanket block with no exceptions, hopefully when they do this again we will not be included as they said i definately wouldnt be. :)

Unlikely as they are using a third party filtering service. These things tend to be quite crude and unsophisticated as to how they categorise sites for blocking.

Unlikely as they are using a third party filtering service. These things tend to be quite crude and unsophisticated as to how they categorise sites for blocking.

Cheers. I just hope when they next do this i am excluded as promised, once fair enough i can accept, but i will not be happy if it happens again. :)

Cheers. I just hope when they next do this i am excluded as promised, once fair enough i can accept, but i will not be happy if it happens again. :)

That's how it should work (in theory.)

There will be a 'white list' of sites that are not blocked and a similar list of users who have passed the age verification.

Even though I passed the online age verification via credit card check, when I restarted my browser as prompted, I was still blocked from accessing adult sites. I had to restart my laptop twice more before it worked. May have been a local problem with my PC, not sure...

That's how it should work (in theory.)

There will be a 'white list' of sites that are not blocked and a similar list of users who have passed the age verification.

Even though I passed the online age verification via credit card check, when I restarted my browser as prompted, I was still blocked from accessing adult sites. I had to restart my laptop twice more before it worked. May have been a local problem with my PC, not sure...

Thanks again. :)

Fucking O2 :angry: ! I'm getting really hacked off with them.

Having been through the age verification nause once (see above) with them a couple of weeks ago, I assumed everything would be hunky dory from know on. Oh, no ! I was casually browsing this afternoon when out of the blue I get "due to technical problems we are unable to verify your age, please contact ......".

God I'm pissed off, especially as the number they give doesn't work for iPads.

Grrrrrrr.

Fucking O2 :angry: ! I'm getting really hacked off with them.

Having been through the age verification nause once (see above) with them a couple of weeks ago, I assumed everything would be hunky dory from know on. Oh, no ! I was casually browsing this afternoon when out of the blue I get "due to technical problems we are unable to verify your age, please contact ......".

God I'm pissed off, especially as the number they give doesn't work for iPads.

Grrrrrrr.

I ring them on 0161 7055000 which is one of their UK based switchboards. :)

I ring them on 0161 7055000 which is one of their UK based switchboards. :)

Cheers smiths. If it's not cleared itself by tomorrow I'll give them a ring.

Mind you I still like the idea of going round to the local store with MinxyLILF :D !

Cheers smiths. If it's not cleared itself by tomorrow I'll give them a ring.

Mind you I still like the idea of going round to the local store with MinxyLILF :D !

I had the same age verification page come up today, rang o2 and they said i had to pay on a credit card or go to a o2 shop again as there was no record of me already verifying my age. I then spoke to a manager who confirmed there is a marker and apoligised for their technical error and general incompetence.

A clueless bunch of ***** who bring this in and even after verifying age, might not stop it happening again.

I wonder if Watchdog would do a feature on this for us :D

I had the same age verification page come up today, rang o2 and they said i had to pay on a credit card or go to a o2 shop again as there was no record of me already verifying my age. I then spoke to a manager who confirmed there is a marker and apoligised for their technical error and general incompetence.

A clueless bunch of ***** who bring this in and even after verifying age, might not stop it happening again.

Although it didn't seem to work straight after the initial age verification, it's worked since. However mobile networks, telcos and other technology companies are well known for their clunky and unreliable software.

I am with O2 and have no problems whatsoever, could this be because I am under contract with them?

I am with O2 and have no problems whatsoever, could this be because I am under contract with them?

The OP is on a contract Strawberry and had the same thing as me and i am PAYG. o2 told me it was across the board but i now know they havent a clue what they are doing so what they say i no longer trust. Pvcman gives good info above.:)

Edited by smiths

Although it didn't seem to work straight after the initial age verification, it's worked since. However mobile networks, telcos and other technology companies are well known for their clunky and unreliable software.

O2 outsource their age verification to an outfit called Bango who seem remarkably amatuerish to me for such an important sub-contract.

When the Bango site/server is down, the O2 age verification check comes back as unknown and hence you are defaulted to "unable to see adult sites", regardless of whether you have registered or not. The only option then is to wait until the Bango cowboys get their site back up and running.