Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elrond

Where does the 4000 estimate of trafficked women come from

17 posts in this topic

The majority of users on this board have suspected for years that the figures were bogus, and used to (a) prove a point and make guys feel guilty, and (:D raid parlours to gain evidence to support the bogus figures.

In both cases the authorities failed - miserably.:P

And wasn't the invasion of Iraq based on the existence of WMDs that were never found and probably never existed.

And do you recall the kerfuffle last year when it was revealed to publish MPs expenses because many knew they'd been fiddling the figures.

Plus the Government has been caught out with fiddled figures on knife crime, NHS waiting lists, crime, new railway carriages - need I go on?

Time for Ms Harman and all her cronies to sit down and shut up.

The majority of users on this board have suspected for years that the figures were bogus, and used to (a) prove a point and make guys feel guilty, and (:D raid parlours to gain evidence to support the bogus figures.

In both cases the authorities failed - miserably.:P

And wasn't the invasion of Iraq based on the existence of WMDs that were never found and probably never existed.

And do you recall the kerfuffle last year when it was revealed to publish MPs expenses because many knew they'd been fiddling the figures.

Plus the Government has been caught out with fiddled figures on knife crime, NHS waiting lists, crime, new railway carriages - need I go on?

Time for Ms Harman and all her cronies to sit down and shut up.

Mis Harmen seems more interested with the judges of Stricly come dancing (arlene philips) than anything more important

http://www.supanet.com/entertainment/mp-calls-for-strictly-judge-return-25178p1.html

well the governments estimates on growth were just crap, so why should any other figures be accurate?

Well its a nice round figure isn,t it!?

So much better to estimate than actually getting of their overpaid backsides and counting each one!

Whenever the government release figures its always a figure ending in 00/000/0000,you get my drift.

10,000 people eat cheese on a sunday,500,000 men close their eyes when kissing,0 people take any notice of government figures.

Has either the IUSW or ECP tried lodging a Freedom of Information request with the Home Office on the provenance of the 4000?

Has either the IUSW or ECP tried lodging a Freedom of Information request with the Home Office on the provenance of the 4000?

The information in stephenpetersons post points to a pdf copy of the document. I know the IUSW saw the document when they spoke with some civil servant in whitehall.

I know the IUSW saw the document when they spoke with some civil servant in whitehall.

In that case -- unless it is asserted to be a state secret , it should be possible to force it into the public domian under a FOI request. Certainly worth trying--- I've been assured, in a completely different context, that anyone can lodge an FOI request and that Govt Depts are obliged to respond.

In that case -- unless it is asserted to be a state secret , it should be possible to force it into the public domian under a FOI request. Certainly worth trying--- I've been assured, in a completely different context, that anyone can lodge an FOI request and that Govt Depts are obliged to respond.

I sent a couple to a government department - their reply to one was absolute drivel; the other did give the info but then proceeded to add excuses to why the statistics were as they were.

I sent a couple to a government department - their reply to one was absolute drivel; the other did give the info but then proceeded to add excuses to why the statistics were as they were.

The second response reveals that they know those stats are weak...... that, of itself, is worth knowing

These, like the alcohol units ration, are numbers picked out of thin air, to justify pre-existing prejudices.

The Economist, a newspaper not often here quoted, but probably read by a good few, did a few months back a quick study of the trafficed, and, with the help of un-named senior Met people, concluded that there are very few in the UK.

These, like the alcohol units ration, are numbers picked out of thin air, to justify pre-existing prejudices.

The Economist, a newspaper not often here quoted, but probably read by a good few, did a few months back a quick study of the trafficed, and, with the help of un-named senior Met people, concluded that there are very few in the UK.

Have you a link for that article by any chance?

I Googled Economist and Trafficking but couldn't find it.

Tx in anticipation

Have you a link for that article by any chance?

I Googled Economist and Trafficking but couldn't find it.

Tx in anticipation

Oooops! Sorry! I, and Firefox seem to have forgotten my Economist.com password!

Will these two help, while I'm trying to get back in?

http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12637017

http://www.economist.com/world/international/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12516582

Maybe a look at the figures from Operation Pentameter 2 would show us more realistic figures ------

822 premises raided

167 "victims" identified ----------- I would be interested to know how many of these so called "victims" were actually working of their own free will, albeit illegally.

http://www.policeoracle.com/news/Pentameter-Facts-and-Figures_16691.html

255 during both Operation Pentameters 1 and 2 according to the OPs linked article, 6% of the 4000 figure used, an absolutely disgraceful inaccuracy IMO, but no surprise with this bunch.

255 during both Operation Pentameters 1 and 2 according to the OPs linked article, 6% of the 4000 figure used, an absolutely disgraceful inaccuracy IMO, but no surprise with this bunch.

I think they might be working on the "Weapons of mass destruction" principle, it's not that they don't exist, it's just that they haven't found them yet.

Oooops! Sorry! I, and Firefox seem to have forgotten my Economist.com password!

Will these two help, while I'm trying to get back in?

http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12637017

http://www.economist.com/world/international/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12516582

Tx

I found the latter article in my google search but not the former which was nonetheless of interest.

What interests me about the one you referred to originally was that it was the Economist forming this opinion having spoken off the record to Senior plod.