nntt

Has Anyone Used Creatine?

15 posts in this topic

I guess for those into fitness, but I just wondered if anyone has any experience of creatine?

I'm just finishing a month's cycle. Some very strange results.

I've yet to do my stats, but a quick measurement and it seems I have gained almost a stone (6kg) in "weight" in 4 weeks, yet my waist remains at 31". I feel fuller in my muscles and it seems I have gained a lot of lean mass in those 4 weeks. This was my first cycle of creatine (with all other things being equal) and although some of this will be water retention no doubt, it is quite a remarkable (but not uncommon as I understand) result.

Downsides seems to be I have become much more irratable. Also although it has enabled me to exercise more, I have felt very fatigued at times. My sex drive seems to have increased, but I feel "too weak" at the same time, a very strange feeling.

Has anyone any experience?

There are many articles on it on Google Scholar and I've read a few of them. Some general things that have been documented are..

1. Water retention, about 1-2kg can be added in water weight. This also increases dehydration rates, so you need to drink a lot, which could explain why you sometimes feel weak. You are a little bit dehydrated perhaps?

2. Increased testosterone, which may explain your mood

3. Can be bad for those with asthma; if you ever experience chest pains while on it, you should stop as it is a sign of allergic reaction

4. Only has an effect on those who are low on Creatine in their diet to start with. Those with adequate Creatine levels only see modest results if any but one study had some users getting up to 15% increase in their power and strength tests.

5. Liver function issues were dispelled by a study a few years ago

6. Creatine absorption can be increased if you take a glucose drink or similar after ingesting.

I've used Creatine a few times in the past and personally I never felt the mood change you speak of, but I did notice some increase in power and strength but not by a large amount.

I dunno what you do, I'm guessing body building? I do boxing in which I only do modest amounts of weight lifting but I noticed an increase in my explosive exercises and heavy bag work.

not tried it but have heard from others that once you stop taking it you only retain about 40% of the increased mass gained while on it. There's also evidence that prolonged or excessive intake can cause liver and kidney damage

I used it for about 6 months whilst on a HIT programme but to be honest I found that it made me feel bloated after training and I no longer use it.

AFAIAC most if not all supplements are a waste of money.

Eat well - little and often - with enough protein will suffice !:)B)

I used it in the early 90's when I was still playing rugby. I was also a bit of a gym bunny. I did see some strength gains and I also experienced the weight gain (not an issue for a prop).

I'm not sure if the creatine was 100% responsible for my improvements as there may have been a placebo effect of using a new supplement and expecting to see gains.

Unless you're an elite sportsman there's no real need to take this supplement IMHO

From what I remember from about 8 yrs ago, Creatine monohydrate (CM) is a precursor to the ATP energy source stored within the muscles.

CM is available in musclemeats and is created naturally within our own bodies but of minimal amounts.

You would normally load up for a month or so, ie saturate your system with an abundance of the stuff. I cant remember exactly how much, I think it was 5g - 4 times a day particularly before training. Just follow the directions on the tin.

After this loading period, you lower the amount to a maintenance dose, ie, 5g once a day before training. Its best to take mixed with grape juice (very sugary) so it can enter your bloodstream quickly. Its also a good idea to have your protein shakes, simple carbs, nutrients, etc, straight after a workout due to the fact that you have a 30 min or so window of opportunity where your exhausted system is crying out for replenishment.

I personally didn't seem to notice any significant difference, maybe a slight burst of extra energy here and there but that might have been all in the mind. I was expecting cramps, a side effect of this product, but didn't get any. I remember a slight gain or feel of muscle fullness but this is really the CM in the system allowing more water to surround/attach to the cells, (water retention).

I actually believe now, after general research into various forms of exercise, stress, nutrition, etc:-

1. You are better to achieve your natural lean body weight throughout your lifetime (a 19st body builder has similar hip, knee and ankle joints as the next man. Also this type of excessive training can cause the body to be in a stressful state far more than it should be, putting a lot of pressure on the heart).

2. You may want to consider a martial art type way of exercising the body, concentrating on breathing, for internal energy, stretching the muscles and strengthening of the bones, joints, tendons and ligaments. All these are a hell of a lot stronger than over inflated muscles without a doubt).

3. Eat simple, unproccessed foods, ie fruit, veg, nuts, wholemeal & whole wheat products, varied sources of proteins, etc.

4. Get enough sleep, not too much, 7 hrs is considered the "right" amount, you will know what is and isn't good for you.

Good luck

Horrible stuff, do not use!

I used it in the early 90's when I was still playing rugby. I was also a bit of a gym bunny. I did see some strength gains and I also experienced the weight gain (not an issue for a prop).

I'm not sure if the creatine was 100% responsible for my improvements as there may have been a placebo effect of using a new supplement and expecting to see gains.

Unless you're an elite sportsman there's no real need to take this supplement IMHO

I was the same as Ray, however a load of us found it caused us issues with muscle tears, which stopped when we didn't take the creatine any more.

I have tried it several times in the past, it never did very much for me when I was an athlete. Over-rated. Decent diet and training schedule works wonders, either that or use full blown AAS.

L-glutamine in high doses is about the only natural supplement that does make a difference - once on optimum diet & exercise regime that is!

I guess for those into fitness, but I just wondered if anyone has any experience of creatine?

I'm just finishing a month's cycle. Some very strange results.

I've yet to do my stats, but a quick measurement and it seems I have gained almost a stone (6kg) in "weight" in 4 weeks, yet my waist remains at 31". I feel fuller in my muscles and it seems I have gained a lot of lean mass in those 4 weeks. This was my first cycle of creatine (with all other things being equal) and although some of this will be water retention no doubt, it is quite a remarkable (but not uncommon as I understand) result.

Downsides seems to be I have become much more irratable. Also although it has enabled me to exercise more, I have felt very fatigued at times. My sex drive seems to have increased, but I feel "too weak" at the same time, a very strange feeling.

Has anyone any experience?

I'd love to find a formula that would help me LOOSE 6kg in 4 weeks, never mind gain it.

I'd love to find a formula that would help me LOOSE 6kg in 4 weeks, never mind gain it.

See Here

Thanks everyone for replying.

Maybe I didn't stay hydrated enough in the cycle.

I used creatine to help support my training. Pretty much I'm doing either cardio or resistance everyday, sometimes both on the same day (push, pull split and cycling) and just thought I'd try a few various supplements to support what I'm doing.

Creatine seems to have worked for me and I will cycle it again although expect less of a return in cycle two.

I do take an all in one powder (whey, BCAA, etc), standard whey, a multivitamin and now have introduced creatine (as a cycle) and my latest is now ZMA (which I'll report back on). My diet is also pretty good.

5-htp