Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SashaB

Panorama Appeal

26 posts in this topic

Its a bit pre emptive but given the opportunity I thought I would put out the appeal to see if anyone were prepared to talk to Panorama about the safety, or lack of it of sex workers.

Panorama are working on a piece to look at the changes in the law in 2009 and 2003, how those laws were intended to protect womens safety and to ask weather these laws are doing what they intended or weather they are actually putting women at greater risk.

I am doing an interview with them on Thursday morning (prior to sentencing) but as I may not have the opportunity to put out an appeal before my crunch time thought I would do it now and see if anyone else would be prepared to bite the bullet and speak out. Subject to my sentencing I will either be doing the piece as a shadow or full face (if the worst happens) and the producer has been hugely supportive about my concerns. He has agreed to bring me a statement in writing to confirm how the piece will be used and that they will not reveal my facial identity without my writen consent etc.

Does anyone have experiences that you think need to be told that would highlight the concerns faced by the industry, be it concern about trafficked girls but being frightened to report or ignored when reported or having been a victim of any sort of crime or violence that you were not able to report or even your fear of crime etc. I will obviously be talking to Jim again on Thursday but having briefly discussed the matter with him he has been incredibly accomodating and stressed that he understood the concerns faced by the industry and would happily either fully protect someones identity or even just do an anonomous telephone interview. He stressed the point that he wasnt concerned with identifying anyone but rather being about to tell the stories of an industry that is either unreported or poorly represented.

Anyway, waffle over, I would love to hear if anyone would be interested in talking to them. I know my judgement is questionable sometimes but he really seemed interested in the story to be told and was incredibly sympathetic. Of all the programmes imo Panorama does seem to be more concerned with fact than fiction

I have some ideas/opinions on this subject and would be prepared to communicate these, but I would require some sort of absolute promise my words would not be twisted in any way. Along with complete and utter anonymity.

Oops by posting here I may have lost it!

I have some ideas/opinions on this subject and would be prepared to communicate these, but I would require some sort of absolute promise my words would not be twisted in any way. Along with complete and utter anonymity.

If you don't want to risk having your words twisted then the best way is nto to talk to the media, they will have an agenda and will edit what you say to fit that agenda (if they use it) it is not pleasant but I am afraid it is a fact of life with the media.

Good luck in court.

I'm sure I don't need to remind you to choose your words carefully, so I'll just say thank you for what you're trying to do.

I would be happy to give you my number to call me or I could call you while with Jim so you could talk to him without giving away any personal info. I plan to do this with a couple of girls I know. Alternatively I could give you his number and you could call him from a witheld number. I have the same concerns and really cant stress how accomodating he has been, he has bent over backwards to be helpfull. From what I have seen so far he just wants to hear stories from multiple sources, if they have to be relayed by the presenter so be it, but he needs to back up his position with some facts and statistics even if provided anonomously. He is providing me with a writen guarantee

Go for it Strawberry, no one will realise you are really Gladys Threadneedle, 18 Hooker Gardens, WG-Le-Dale, Cumbria.

Go for it Strawberry, no one will realise you are really Gladys Threadneedle, 18 Hooker Gardens, WG-Le-Dale, Cumbria.

And how many WG-Le-Dale's are there in Cumbria?

Not many.

There resteth my case.

I can see clients cringing in their arm chairs as they hear anything to do with a 'P' in Cumbria.

"Deary, what do yout think about this then?"

"Squawk"

And how many WG-Le-Dale's are there in Cumbria?

Not many.

There resteth my case.

I can see clients cringing in their arm chairs as they hear anything to do with a 'P' in Cumbria.

"Deary, what do yout think about this then?"

"Squawk"

Oh shit, I've outed you, The NOW are on their way WG-Le-Dale, draw your curtains.

If you don't want to risk having your words twisted then the best way is nto to talk to the media, they will have an agenda and will edit what you say to fit that agenda (if they use it) it is not pleasant but I am afraid it is a fact of life with the media.

Dalton, as much as I agree with your general position its also a frustrating one. If anyone talks to the press they need to protect themselves, the greatest part of that is being carefull about who they talk to and despite popular belief not all journalists are in the market of outing people and twisting stories. We arent talking about the NOTW who's business is spin. The agenda in this story, is the story itself.

I have spoken to far more journalists in the last 18 months than I would have ever cared to but careful selection has kept me in good stead and not one has gone against what was agreed. The biggest issue is that unless people speak out no one can be heard and nothing will ever change. Im not appealing for everyone to go on film and out themselves in public style, just that if anyone has a story to tell talk to him, anonomously so that he can at least present some information obtained from multiple sources... its called research and doesnt have to appear on film or out anyone in the process.

Its well known Im an idealist and I personally would love nothing more for things to change, imo things desperately need to change but to sit back and expect things to change when no one will speak is just crazy. Government are in a cushy position that because of the stigma of the industry so few speak out that they can blisfully pretend that those working with consent are the minority and the public wont question as there is no evidence to support anything different.

I have stayed in touch with my local outreach worker and she was telling me only the other week that the position of the police recently is that there is no violence against working girls in Surrey, primarily because there arent any working girls so they dont need protecting. At an area meeting thier position was that they were coming down hard on the industry but as far as they were concerned they didnt have a problem. Ignorance is bliss when crime cant be reported as it simply doesnt exist.

We all read the dangerous punter warnings and should be well aware thats just the tip of the iceberg. Im aware of a serious assault only a fortnight ago in which two men while robbing a place beat a girl and a client with a metal pipe. Was it reported, no. A week later (last week) the same gang robbed the place again but they didnt get the same haul they had the week before so waited until the girls left and beat them up. Again, was it reported, no.

I used to sit comfortable assuming that whenever I saw an article in the paper about brothel cases there must have been something to trigger than case, drugs, trafficking etc. The last 18 months have seriously opened my eyes. You only have to read the crimewatch board on the oldest profession to realise how much is going on up and down the coutry and when your dealing with baristers and solicitors you soon realise that there are 4 times as many cases that their crimewatch list misses.

Call me crazy but if anything good can come of our case, Im will be dambed if I will let the opportunity be lost. I have young children so have to be VERY carefull about who I speak to and how, the last thing I want to do is cause them further distress but if no one speaks, nothing will change. If ANYONE is prepared to talk, even if just to me so I can pass on the story it would be greatly appreciated. Im just 1 voice, I can only call on my experiences and Im not ignorant enough to believe that my view is the only one out there. Please dont let the opportunity be lost when there are always options about how to say what you have to say... at the momment imo the most important things is if you have anything to say to speak out, even if just to Jim anonomously, if you want to take it further you can think about how to proceed then, at least then he has some evidence that Im not just a lone quack with a cause.

Edited by SashaB

Its a bit pre emptive but given the opportunity I thought I would put out the appeal to see if anyone were prepared to talk to Panorama about the safety, or lack of it of sex workers.

Does anyone have experiences that you think need to be told ....

Anyway, waffle over, I would love to hear if anyone would be interested in talking to them. I know my judgement is questionable sometimes but he really seemed interested in the story to be told and was incredibly sympathetic. Of all the programmes imo Panorama does seem to be more concerned with fact than fiction

Er, I'm not a WG, so not what you are asking for - if, however, you can drag them into the programme, IMHO, the most significant points to put over are both "not in the syllabus", namely:

POCA - which was sold to the Great British Public as serving to take away from Drug Barons and the Godfathers of Organised Crime, their ill-gotten gains, but which has, actually, served to distort police and prosecutors priorities, towards letting justice look after herself, while they chase some additional resources!

Brothel definition. There has been a raft of new and improved (but badly drafted) legislation on everything sex related, EXCEPT the vital matter of the definition of a brothel, which for no apparent reason has been left with a common law decision from the final chapter in the 1930's of a long line of cases leading from Queen Victoria's glorious (if hypocritical) reign, which simply does not reflect what the vast majority of the population understand by the word, "brothel"!

Edited by Irgendeiner

Generally people know not to trust journalists, it is just the way of life. but what brought my attention to your comment about trusting them and made it stick out perhaps more than others was after reading another article you wrote about how you had a godo relationship etc with the police and trusted them and then they turned on you and you said you had been naive, it just rings of de ja vous, and it's not about anyone else making assumptions but purely on the posts you have made about yoru experiences, in general I would say it is more acceptable in life to trust the police as opposed to a journalist. In no way am I trying to defend any actions of either party as it is not my place to do so and of course we don't have all of the facts.

But my comment would be you say you got burned once and well be careful, as for Panorama it is well known for putting a spin on a story to suit their agenda, that you will find acceptable of course if the agenda matches yours, but if different then you and other contributors may well have regrets, but I suppose at least if anonimity is assured it is not a real problem.

As for listing Alleged crimes that have not been reported, that simply creates a negative outlook, a good basis for judgement of any crime is if it wasn't reported it did not happen or the victim was also involved in a crime.

Dalton, as much as I agree with your general position its also a frustrating one. If anyone talks to the press they need to protect themselves, the greatest part of that is being carefull about who they talk to and despite popular belief not all journalists are in the market of outing people and twisting stories. We arent talking about the NOTW who's business is spin. The agenda in this story, is the story itself.

I have spoken to far more journalists in the last 18 months than I would have ever cared to but careful selection has kept me in good stead and not one has gone against what was agreed. The biggest issue is that unless people speak out no one can be heard and nothing will ever change. Im not appealing for everyone to go on film and out themselves in public style, just that if anyone has a story to tell talk to him, anonomously so that he can at least present some information obtained from multiple sources... its called research and doesnt have to appear on film or out anyone in the process.

Its well known Im an idealist and I personally would love nothing more for things to change, imo things desperately need to change but to sit back and expect things to change when no one will speak is just crazy. Government are in a cushy position that because of the stigma of the industry so few speak out that they can blisfully pretend that those working with consent are the minority and the public wont question as there is no evidence to support anything different.

I have stayed in touch with my local outreach worker and she was telling me only the other week that the position of the police recently is that there is no violence against working girls in Surrey, primarily because there arent any working girls so they dont need protecting. At an area meeting thier position was that they were coming down hard on the industry but as far as they were concerned they didnt have a problem. Ignorance is bliss when crime cant be reported as it simply doesnt exist.

We all read the dangerous punter warnings and should be well aware thats just the tip of the iceberg. Im aware of a serious assault only a fortnight ago in which two men while robbing a place beat a girl and a client with a metal pipe. Was it reported, no. A week later (last week) the same gang robbed the place again but they didnt get the same haul they had the week before so waited until the girls left and beat them up. Again, was it reported, no.

I used to sit comfortable assuming that whenever I saw an article in the paper about brothel cases there must have been something to trigger than case, drugs, trafficking etc. The last 18 months have seriously opened my eyes. You only have to read the crimewatch board on the oldest profession to realise how much is going on up and down the coutry and when your dealing with baristers and solicitors you soon realise that there are 4 times as many cases that their crimewatch list misses.

Call me crazy but if anything good can come of our case, Im will be dambed if I will let the opportunity be lost. I have young children so have to be VERY carefull about who I speak to and how, the last thing I want to do is cause them further distress but if no one speaks, nothing will change. If ANYONE is prepared to talk, even if just to me so I can pass on the story it would be greatly appreciated. Im just 1 voice, I can only call on my experiences and Im not ignorant enough to believe that my view is the only one out there. Please dont let the opportunity be lost when there are always options about how to say what you have to say... at the momment imo the most important things is if you have anything to say to speak out, even if just to Jim anonomously, if you want to take it further you can think about how to proceed then, at least then he has some evidence that Im not just a lone quack with a cause.

Panorama are working on a piece to look at the changes in the law in 2009 and 2003, how those laws were intended to protect womens safety and to ask weather these laws are doing what they intended or weather they are actually putting women at greater risk.

I am doing an interview with them on Thursday morning (prior to sentencing) but as I may not have the opportunity to put out an appeal before my crunch time thought I would do it now and see if anyone else would be prepared to bite the bullet and speak out. Subject to my sentencing I will either be doing the piece as a shadow or full face (if the worst happens) and the producer has been hugely supportive about my concerns. He has agreed to bring me a statement in writing to confirm how the piece will be used and that they will not reveal my facial identity without my writen consent etc.

Does anyone have experiences that you think need to be told that would highlight the concerns faced by the industry, be it concern about trafficked girls but being frightened to report or ignored when reported or having been a victim of any sort of crime or violence that you were not able to report or even your fear of crime etc. I will obviously be talking to Jim again on Thursday but having briefly discussed the matter with him he has been incredibly accomodating and stressed that he understood the concerns faced by the industry and would happily either fully protect someones identity or even just do an anonomous telephone interview. He stressed the point that he wasnt concerned with identifying anyone but rather being about to tell the stories of an industry that is either unreported or poorly represented.

Sent you a PM Sasha

Sent you a PM Sasha

Thank you x

How come you are in court??

Brothel Keeping and Money Laundering... its a long story x

Sasha, whatever happens tomorrow "Good Luck" and" Stay Strong". Not had the pleasure of meeting you but you come across as a really caring and supportive person and I feel really sad that you are in your current situation. Thank you. !

Oh wow is it illegal to keep brothels, what about the hundreds others across the uk? will you go to prison?

Oh wow is it illegal to keep brothels, what about the hundreds others across the uk? will you go to prison?

Im going to let someone else answer that as Im really not sure if your taking the piddle or being sincere

Im going to let someone else answer that as Im really not sure if your taking the piddle or being sincere

No im not taking the "piddle", i just thought if ur charged for keeping a brothel then why arent they charging everyone else?

Also what will ur punishment be?

No im not taking the "piddle", i just thought if ur charged for keeping a brothel then why arent they charging everyone else?

Also what will ur punishment be?

Your guess is as good as mine, and its one of the questions I have never had answered. It was a competitor that was responsible for the attack against us and as much as the last thing I want to see is police procecuting more brothel keeping cases I will make an exception in that one case. Why prosecute us yet allow them to trade? 18 months on and I still dont have an answer, nor do I think I will ever get one.

Im praying for a suspended sentence but am not holding out much hope... with the way our luck has gone so far Im convinced I must have been hitler in a former life. In all seriousness, sentencing guidelines start at 2 years, less 25% for an early plea and then Im praying for the judge to be in a good mood when it comes to our mitigation. Im looking at about 12 months and as I said praying the judge will suspend it but according to the baristers its 50/50. Everything I have seen of late leads me to believe Im looking at time

Your guess is as good as mine, and its one of the questions I have never had answered. It was a competitor that was responsible for the attack against us and as much as the last thing I want to see is police procecuting more brothel keeping cases I will make an exception in that one case. Why prosecute us yet allow them to trade? 18 months on and I still dont have an answer, nor do I think I will ever get one.

Im praying for a suspended sentence but am not holding out much hope... with the way our luck has gone so far Im convinced I must have been hitler in a former life. In all seriousness, sentencing guidelines start at 2 years, less 25% for an early plea and then Im praying for the judge to be in a good mood when it comes to our mitigation. Im looking at about 12 months and as I said praying the judge will suspend it but according to the baristers its 50/50. Everything I have seen of late leads me to believe Im looking at time

Really hope it's suspended. You've done nothing wrong, you've tried to protect a girl who'd had a terrible experience and in the process you fell foul of an exceptionally stupid and counter-productive law, and if the judge really can't see that... well... :angry:

I appreciate that it doesn't really help much, but I know we'll all be keeping our fingers crossed for you.

Edited by Beauregard

I appreciate that it doesn't really help much, but I know we'll all be keeping our fingers crossed for you.

Thank you, that really means a lot. Just to update everyone incase I dont get the chance, Panorama have sadly dropped the piece, they didnt have enough to fill a 30 minute slot putting the argument they wanted. I have just gotten back from an interview with newsnight though... it went well but put me infront of a camera and I forget how to talk, what order words go in or what I wanted to say. They assure me they will edit it down to get a condensed version of what I said rather than the hour waffle I gave them. My points were not as hard hitting as I would have liked as my mind really went blank but Im hoping I got in some key points. Typically they turned the camera off and I got my voice back... TV is definately not for me.

On top of that have done an edgier piece for Womens Hour that I believe is planned for Tuesday. I certainly wasnt short of something to say but she did come up with a tough line of questioning so Im hoping that comes over ok.. they were very much on the angle that I had broken the law full stop so was a defensive piece... how they will chose to run it remains to be seen.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all your kind thoughts and words, we are praying for a posative outcome tomorrow but who knows, I have lost all faith in the system and all bets are off, it wouldnt even suprise me if we get there only to be sent away as the court doesnt have enough time to hear us... who knows. Thanks again

Sasha x x

Every Good wish for tomorrow Sasha

Lets hope the legal system has an ounce or two of sense ( reading todays papers one does wonder !!....real crooks ... drug dealers seem to get off scot free !!)

One can but hope though and keep Fingers Crossed.

Thinking of you and your family tomorrow !

how did it go, guilty or not guilty?