SashaB

Suspended Sentence :-)

57 posts in this topic

You will have to forgive me taking up a whole new topic to spread our news but the way I feel right now no one could bring me down :-)

We have just had the day from hell... sentencing began at 11.20am this morning. We heard the judges reasons for not staying the proceeding for the abuse of process argument on 25th February and then proceeded into the prosecution evidence. So much for the pursuit of the truth as it was plain they were presenting snippets extracted from the evidence to show a distorted interpretation of truth but even despite this they were not able to argue that there was any sign of coercion, exploitation and even put forward that there was no question the agency was run as a professional business.

We then moved into the first half of my own mitigation and I really cant stress enough what an AMAZING case our legal team has fought. Anna Morris our barrister put forward a strong argument for mitigation before we were interrupted by lunch. We returned at 2.05pm for Anna to present the rest of my mitigation following which the judge adjourned for 10 minutes so that she could instruct a jury on another case. We returned to hear mitigation from my oh's barrister Peter Clark and finally my colleague and friends Val’s defence barrister. The judge asked us for 15 minutes to prepare her notes at 3.15 and instructed us to return at 3.30pm at which point no one could call which was it was going to go. Both our barristers and solicitor advised us that it could go either way and on returning at 3.30pm waited until 3.45 for the judge to return.

The 3 of us stood awaiting sentence to be passed only to be told to sit while the judge spoke as in her own words, she would be a while. The judge’s comments were highly positive, she fully accepted that unless I had dialled 999 none of us would have been in the position we were that day. She commended the way the agency was run but stressed that it was a criminal enterprise and was against the law. She finally asked me to stand at which point she said that given the mitigation she would impose the most lenient sentence possible of 12 months imprisonment for the brothel keeping charges and a further 12 months imprisonment for the money laundering offences, both sentences to run concurrently. She then went on for what seemed like forever about I’m really not sure what... I was slowly coming to terms with the 12 months custodial sentence I was facing before she finally (it must have been 5 minutes +) said that she would suspend the sentence for 2 years and impose 240 hours community service.

I will freely confess that I didn’t hear half of the rest of it other than that my other half has been given a 12 month suspended sentence for money laundering offences and ordered to do 120 hours community service and Val has received a 18 week prison sentence suspended for 6 months, along with community service and a supervision order.

Im not going to hang around to chat but can’t stress how relieved we are at the judge’s decision. She made us sweat but in light of the charges and the difficulties she faces in imposing the law we all consider she was fair in her judgement. She was very sympathetic in her summary, we all waited for the impending but, but it never came and I fully look forward to publishing the transcripts from the court case and sentencing.

I just wanted to update everyone and send our thanks to everyone who has offered their support in our case. I have been truly touched by the sheer amount of support offered to us and the kind words sent by so many of you and really cant stress how grateful both myself and my family are

Sasha x x

Wow - congratulations!

Sounds like you finally got a little bit of justice at least...

Edited by Tibbs

I'm not sure that "congratulations" are in order, but Phew! I had just been wondering how today went for you, what a massive relief for you all. :)

Congratulations. It's ridiculous this ever come to court in the first place.

yes indeed,you can relax a bit now,thanks for letting us know

I am so pleased for you and that you’re still with your family tonight, you must be so relieved.

Glad this was the outcome I was hoping and expecting. :)

I am sure that we all share your elation. The Judge used common sense "Congratulations" on the way you handled the case. You have tried to do the right thing from the beginning and have earned a deep respect in the process. Best wishes and every success for all you do in the future. x

Super news Sasha !!.Really Pleased for you and your family.

you can start living your life again !!

go for it Gal .......whatever it is. The pause button has been released.

Thank God for that - congratulations, you must be so relieved.

Of course it's shameful that you were dragged through all that purely because you did the right thing, but at least the judge does seem to have shown some understanding of the absurdity of the situation. And given the range of options open to her, basically you've got the right result - or at least about as right as it could be under the current legal circumstances.

Very pleased for you! :)

Congratulations I am happy least something positive came your way. So when is the book due? And have you sold your film rights yet?

That's the best sentence that you could have expected given all the circumstances. I'm pleased for all of you.

A good legal team, guilty pleas and the abuse of process action obviously did the trick.

I was expecting suspended custodial sentences. No doubt the Regional Asset Recovery Team will want their dues under POCA :angry: .

Brilliant news - am excessively pleased for you Sasha. I read this whole episode with disdain and a bad taste in the mouth of true justice. Alas, you got soemthing on your record, but at least you are happy it was non-custodial, and the judge seemed to have a serious degree of sense.

I hope all is well for your future.

Sorry for the hell you have already been through with all the waiting and postponements, but glad you got the outcome you did. You know you did the right thing, it's just such a shame that you had to go through all this because of it. Sleep well with the weight off your shoulders.

Congratulations - have a holiday, smell the coffee and move on x

pleased to hear the good news !

XXX

Well done, that must be a massive relief for you. I doubt this can be called justice given your conviction and the hell you have been through, but at least you can move on with your life now. All the best.

Sounds like the best was made of a bad job. Do you now go for a pardon, on the basis of a bad law?

Does anyone know whether this changes police behaviour going forward? Is it viewed as a success for them? Silverado hinted that they get their hands on some financial assets?

I have nothing but admiration for the dignity you have shown, Sasha, and your commitment to getting the best possible result. Inspirational. So very pleased to hear your good news.

Congrats

I'm looking forward to reading the transcript of the reasons why abuse of process wasn't accepted....

Daffon

Thank you everyone, your kind words are really appreciated. We still feel like we are walking on water and keep having to pinch ourselves to check we are not dreaming. Im afraid that we had come to the conclusion a custodial sentence was inevitable, certainly for me and had made all the appropriate plans on that basis. Despite the way I ran the business we could not forget the scale of the orgonisation which is always an agrevating factor when it comes to sentencing.

The judge was more than fair in her summary and fully acknowledged that there was no exploitation, in her own words she agreed our defence position that we opperated in a format completely opposed to exploitation and that it was clear our focus was both the safety of the girls and thier sexual health. She also acknowledged that from all the evidence she had seen which continued to support her opinion, she could quite imagion it was the type of place where girls wanted to work which was all good. We were however waiting for the sting and Im sure you can imagine my thought process when she started reading sentence thinking that it was all going to go horribly wrong with a big BUT at the end, particuarly when she read the sentence then took so long to say that she would suspend it.

Anyway, its all over now and relief really isnt a strong enough word. We do still have procedes of crime to come and that wont be completed until September. I have little doubt that will be another battle as there are still outstanding issues over my partners legitimate money vs my illegitimate but we really arent concerned with it. I dont wish to sound ignorant about the situation but really cant stress that having gone through such a stressfull experience over the last 18 months you really sit back and remember what is important in life and its not money. We have our family, two beautifull children and our health and would be ungreatful to wish for anything more.

Thank you again everyone for your thoughts and such kind words. They say what doesnt kill you can only make you stronger and despite feeling tender we feel pretty good right now, onwards and upwards as they say.

Sasha x

Fantastic news Sasha, really pleased that the outcome is nowhere near as bad as you had feared.

Fantastic news Sasha, really pleased that the outcome is nowhere near as bad as you had feared.

Delighted Sasha. Anything worse would have been a travesty. Glad the judge showed common sense.

Well done it must be a relief now its all over.

Shelly