Guest Xenia

Question About Tv Hard Drive Recorders

9 posts in this topic

I am looking for HD Recorder and also with facility to pause "live TV". However most of those recorders only have freeview/ freviewHD/freesat receivers, and they only can record those output.

I am not interested to record/pause UK Digital or sky channels, I've already had a PVRs for it, as well and sky+ HD box to do it.

I need to find hard drive recorder (not DVD recorder) to connect to my TV and to able to record as well as pause live TV for the Russian channels which I receive through satellite. I've already have a Pioneer recorder (its about 7 years old now with 80 GB space and its just started to develop few faults), which does record Russian programs from the Hotbird satelite, but does not have an ability to pause a live shows.

Since most of the country gone digital now, I have a real difficulty to find HD recorder which can be connected to satelite, or any other set of output apart of analogue/freeview/digital (security camera for example) to be able to record and pause live feed.

I did asked in Maplin if you can use Digital HD recorder for it, but they said you can not. Does anybody know if any product exist which can record and pause live TV, from the satelite receiver? Or is it any other way around it?

Edited by Xenia

Basicly I don't have a clue but could it be worth investigating about using a PC with a some sort of media card? I'm not much help but it might be worth surfing a few techie forums?

Basicly I don't have a clue but could it be worth investigating about using a PC with a some sort of media card? I'm not much help but it might be worth surfing a few techie forums?

That would be my suggestion too as I don't think you'll get a HDD recorder with the capability to record/pause satellite TV. Hauppage do some PC cards with the ability to record/pause satellite TV but you'd have to make sure that the satellite tuner is compatible with the source.

Afterthought: having said that, there may well be PVRs available on the UK market with the capability of receiving Hotbird transmissions for example.

B

Edited by bacchus

Buy a USB TV stick and Windows Media Centre will do the trick - simples

TD

Thank you, Bacchus. Yoy also can order additional 500GB USB hard disk to Techomate for £70.

Do you think something like this would work? Not so grat reviews, but nice price. :-)

Depends on whether it can record from an external source and more importantly, pause it. I doubt it somehow TBH.

B

Depends on whether it can record from an external source and more importantly, pause it. I doubt it somehow TBH.

B

Well, I asume it should record from the satelite, because spec looks very similar to my Pioneer recorder which does record my Russian channels. Its just my Pionner recorder only have 80gb, which not exactly enough, and just started to have few minor but still annoying faults. (timer recording does not work for example all the time).

It does state on the Sony in Sainsbury site, that it can pause live TV, however I don't know if its applies to any source which it connected to.

I have satelite (with two LNBs) and two receivers connected to the two TV sets. Just wanted to get recorder with more HD space and "pause live TV" function to connect to the Sat receiver in other room.

Techomate sounds precisely right, but a bit over ££ what I wanted to spent. It will work almost £300, once you add USB HD to it. Plus I no need various feature on it, which you pay for but never use.

I am to late to order the Sony now, as it gone out of stock now. Should just order it two days ago, tried it, and if it did not do what I wanted, hand it back to Sainsbury. To late now. :-(

Well, I asume it should record from the satelite, because spec looks very similar to my Pioneer recorder which does record my Russian channels. Its just my Pionner recorder only have 80gb, which not exactly enough, and just started to have few minor but still annoying faults. (timer recording does not work for example all the time).

It does state on the Sony in Sainsbury site, that it can pause live TV, however I don't know if its applies to any source which it connected to.

I have satelite (with two LNBs) and two receivers connected to the two TV sets. Just wanted to get recorder with more HD space and "pause live TV" function to connect to the Sat receiver in other room.

Techomate sounds precisely right, but a bit over ££ what I wanted to spent. It will work almost £300, once you add USB HD to it. Plus I no need various feature on it, which you pay for but never use.

I am to late to order the Sony now, as it gone out of stock now. Should just order it two days ago, tried it, and if it did not do what I wanted, hand it back to Sainsbury. To late now. :-(

It might be a bit fiddly, but one option might be to replace the hard disk in your Pioneer recorder with a larger one. It's possible to do this with other devices like a Sky box or Playstation.