Helen Jones

Broken Router

6 posts in this topic

I thought my router had died after I lost my connection with the internet. It lit up and looked fine but I couldnt get online and consigned myself to buying a new one @ £50 plus.

Someone suggested I replace the ADSL filter ( the plug that goes into phone junction box and takes the router and phone cables and separates the data and voice signals) first as these were prone to breakdown.

I checked on the internet (using my mobile phone WIFI hotspot app, and found one at Maplins priced at £13+ which is a lot less than the £50+ I was expecting to pay. I called into an Asda supermarket for a CD and passed the same ADSL filter on sale at just £3- which was a lot less than the £13 I expected to pay : My connection is now fine thanks to my Asdaprice ADS filter.

So if you're having problems with connection try replacing the ADSL filter with an Asda £3 replacement filter

Edited by Helen Jones

Nice save! shame I paid a tenner for one at PC world.

Always handy to have a spare and at £3 its worth it.

Helen - that's a good tip for those people still using old phone line technology ;)

Not so useful for those of us using super-duper fast fibre optic broadband :D

It's amazing how sometimes you can find little bits of kit or accessories so much cheaper than the likes of PC World. I bought a four port USB hub for £1 from one of those Pound Shops. The cheapest non-branded equivalent in PC World is 10 times more expensive!

Helen - that's a good tip for those people still using old phone line technology ;)

Not so useful for those of us using super-duper fast fibre optic broadband :D

It's amazing how sometimes you can find little bits of kit or accessories so much cheaper than the likes of PC World. I bought a four port USB hub for £1 from one of those Pound Shops. The cheapest non-branded equivalent in PC World is 10 times more expensive!

Superspeed is it !

I was very suprised at the speeds I got on my laptop from my wireless connection via the mobile phone. I supposedly have 'unlimited' broadband with my mobile but in reality have an allowance of 1g per month, most of which I used up faffing about when my BB went down!

... when my BB went down!

i thought BB was banned here..... :)

I've started using MyFi from '3' and am amazed at the speed increase from the O2 dongle I was using. Only £25 of 7GB of data, and it's valid for 3 months.