rankine

Kyoto

11 posts in this topic

I will be visiting Kyoto in June. Does anyone know of good places where to have some fun at night? I have heard that punting in Japan is hard for a non-Japanese. Any hint would be appreciated! :)

I will be visiting Kyoto in June. Does anyone know of good places where to have some fun at night? I have heard that punting in Japan is hard for a non-Japanese. Any hint would be appreciated! :)

To be honest I think you'd be lucky. I wasn't seriously looking while I was out there a few years ago, but the only places I could find advertised were filled with Russians and Thais.

Your chances of punting with a Japanese lady without knowing a Japanese man to grease the way is very very low. You'd have a better chance of picking up a Japanese Office Lady in a bar, which I must say I'd have fancied my chances of doing had I had the opportunity.

Of course you're in Kyoto, home of the Geisha (and I did get a very brief glimpse of one before a door was quickly slammed shut and I was herded off private property <_<) and your chances of seeing one of those is nil.

There r a few Brit-style pubs where you may be able to meet J-women on a good nite. Try the Pig & Whistle, also the Hub. You'll find directions on the net. Dont bother trying to get into pink salons (BBBJ bars) coz they wont let gaijins in :angry: Kyoto is the main destination for western tourists in Japan and as a bona-fide tourist you will get treated well

That doesn't sound too good but thanks both for your advices!

so besides punting, the western charm doesn't work in Japan? ;) I heard many diverse stories about this.

How about the Nuru massage? would it be just a dream for us, poor westerner ? (my feeling is that if it is in London, it wouldn't have the same effect as in Japan)

That doesn't sound too good but thanks both for your advices!

so besides punting, the western charm doesn't work in Japan? ;) I heard many diverse stories about this.

How about the Nuru massage? would it be just a dream for us, poor westerner ? (my feeling is that if it is in London, it wouldn't have the same effect as in Japan)

The western charm still works if you are new to the country and do not speak the language :)

As for nuru massage, it did not apparently origin8 in Japan although the name is Japanese. Most Japanese you ask have never even heard of the expression :blink:

However one thing I have noticed since the earthquake is that there has been an explosion of masssage joints in the Tokyo area such as this one

http://kw-macherie.jp/

The authorities are so tied up with post-earthquake reconstruction and electricity power cuts that the yakusa are taking advantage of the confusion

The good news is that they let foreigeners in! :lol: Havent had time or opportunity to explore yet but in Kyoto go down to the Gion area at nite and nose around, you may find something similar :D

The western charm still works if you are new to the country and do not speak the language :)

As for nuru massage, it did not apparently origin8 in Japan although the name is Japanese. Most Japanese you ask have never even heard of the expression :blink:

However one thing I have noticed since the earthquake is that there has been an explosion of masssage joints in the Tokyo area such as this one

http://kw-macherie.jp/

The authorities are so tied up with post-earthquake reconstruction and electricity power cuts that the yakusa are taking advantage of the confusion

The good news is that they let foreigeners in! :lol: Havent had time or opportunity to explore yet but in Kyoto go down to the Gion area at nite and nose around, you may find something similar :D

Thanks very much for the very useful information!!!

The website you sent me look great, although I could only understand what google translate was able to understand out of it. So can I just a walk in a place like that ? (there is a map somewhere).

Did you have a chance to try any of these places? are they safe?

So can I just a walk in a place like that ? (there is a map somewhere).

Did you have a chance to try any of these places? are they safe?

Nowhere in Japan is dangerous. The days of ripping off unsuspecting punters are over (with the exception of the Nigerian-run strip clubs in places like Tokyo Roppongi and Kabukicho). All these places have a set system which is usually written outside and you often pay in advance. The problem with getting in is that they may not let you in if you do not speak Japanese :(

The places with photos of girls outside and a price list with prices which increase as it gets later are hostess bars. You get to talk to nice-looking girls but apart from that it's a waste of money. Typically 4000 - 7000 yen per hour with free Japanese whisky. Also, avoid any place where the girls cater for foreigners - there are 1 or 2 in Kyoto coz I've seen them advertized. Expensive hostess bars and no more.

One place you may wish to check out if you have money to burn and feel adventurous is this :

http://www.love-kyoto.net/

This is the latest thing in Japan - date cafes! Girls get in free. Men have to pay a 5000 yen joining fee. There are magazines and internet. There is a 2 way mirror so that the men can see the girls but not the other way round. If you want to choose a girl, you have to pay 3000 yen to talk to her in private. If she agres to go with you, you pay a 3000 yen barfine. So 11,000 just for a date but usually the girl will expect you to take her to a love hotel for sex (add another 3000 yen for 2 hours). I have not had the opportunity to try out one of these places yet but I rang 2 already in Tokyo area and they said gaijins are welcum if they speak Japanese. If you can find some Japanese speaker to go with, that would be the way to go.

Here is a site for Kyoto area "delivery health." You choose a girl from her foto on the net and she comes round to your hotel/room. Difficult for gaijins to get access here even with Japanese.

If you happen to be in Tokyo area send us a PM B)

Edited by Furyogaijin

To be honest I think you'd be lucky. I wasn't seriously looking while I was out there a few years ago, but the only places I could find advertised were filled with Russians and Thais.

Your chances of punting with a Japanese lady without knowing a Japanese man to grease the way is very very low. You'd have a better chance of picking up a Japanese Office Lady in a bar, which I must say I'd have fancied my chances of doing had I had the opportunity.

Of course you're in Kyoto, home of the Geisha (and I did get a very brief glimpse of one before a door was quickly slammed shut and I was herded off private property <_<) and your chances of seeing one of those is nil.

Actually you can sometimes spot one walking down the street, in the area where most of the geisha places are. We saw one get off a bus....

As a (young) western guy you can meet Japanese girls as described, but paid stuff you can forget

The places with photos of girls outside and a price list with prices which increase as it gets later are hostess bars. You get to talk to nice-looking girls but apart from that it's a waste of money. Typically 4000 - 7000 yen per hour with free Japanese whisky. Also, avoid any place where the girls cater for foreigners - there are 1 or 2 in Kyoto coz I've seen them advertized. Expensive hostess bars and no more.

And you say Japan is not a dangerous place? ;)

Edited by one eyed panda

Thanks again for the useful advices... I will probably giving up the idea of punting.

How about just normal massages? any advice for kyoto?

Even more important... where to use my "western charm"? ;) any advice on places where to go to find (not working, but easy) girls?

If you happen to be in Tokyo area send us a PM B)

Thanks! I will definitely send you a PM :)