WykeTyke

Firefox 4

26 posts in this topic

Download the latest version of Firefox, V4 is faster and prevents flash crashing the browser all the time.

Also download the Flashblock addon, Ad-block Plus and the Colorful Tabs - they will really enhance your surfing experience.

anyone know of a nice style with a menubar you can read?

default seems to be grey on grey :(

Don't forget to download 'extra privacy' as well https://addons.mozil.../betterprivacy/

I recently downloaded that, but I've been finding it a bit too active, as it seems to remove useful info as well as intrusive stuff. Still persevering with it though.

Edited by Jimmy Bond

Download the latest version of Firefox, V4 is faster and prevents flash crashing the browser all the time.

Was that something only happening in later versions? I've been using FF for several years (back to v 1.x) but noticed it seems to have become a bit temperamental since I moved to v 3.6... as a result I have switched to using Chrome more now.

Was that something only happening in later versions? I've been using FF for several years (back to v 1.x) but noticed it seems to have become a bit temperamental since I moved to v 3.6... as a result I have switched to using Chrome more now.

Since downloading FF4 , I didnt like it and had lot of crashes with it so have moved completely to Chrome now. I'm afraid Mozilla made bad move with FF V4

Since downloading FF4 , I didnt like it and had lot of crashes with it so have moved completely to Chrome now. I'm afraid Mozilla made bad move with FF V4

I've now uninstalled v4 as I had crashes all of the time, tabs would not close, menus would not appear, etc etc. I'm now back to v3.6 and everything back to normal.

Is this the issue where it becomes unresponsive and firefox is using approx 50% cpu in task manager?

I upgraded to FF4 but I noticed that the back and forward arrow buttons no longer have a drop down list to show the pages recently visited.

Is there a setting to get that back please?

I concur. That's not a progression.

I upgraded to FF4 but I noticed that the back and forward arrow buttons no longer have a drop down list to show the pages recently visited.

Is there a setting to get that back please?

Right click the button and they pop up.

I'm going to give Chrome a go until Firefox 4 is fixed. Even on my uber downstairs machine (6Gb Ram etc etc etc) FF runs like a dog.

Right click the button and they pop up.

Great, thanks!

I've now uninstalled v4 as I had crashes all of the time, tabs would not close, menus would not appear, etc etc. I'm now back to v3.6 and everything back to normal.

Still catching up!

Whenever I load Firefox I get the message that my version (3.6 I believe) is no longer protected against internet attacks, and I'm told to install Version4, which a few of you are not too enthusiastic about. Just to add to my reluctance I was going to install the said version when a box came up suggesting it would take 1hr plus to download. Living in the sticks my pc gets little better than dial up speeds by way of broadband and the idea of hanging around for that length of time for something I'm not sure of didn't appeal.

I'm with BT and connect at present via their set up, but, please, what would be the best alternative if I don't use Firefox?

I tried FF4 and went back to FF3.6. Not compatible with Norton (Symantic) plus it had other quirky things with it. May try it again in a couple of months when the bugs are out of it!

I'm with BT and connect at present via their set up, but, please, what would be the best alternative if I don't use Firefox?

The other good option is Google's Chrome which has a download of about half the size of Firefox.

Opera is another decent choice.

The other good option is Google's Chrome which has a download of about half the size of Firefox.

Opera is another decent choice.

Many thanks.

I am now being offered FF 5.0. Anyone using it yet? If so, with what results?

I am now being offered FF 5.0. Anyone using it yet? If so, with what results?

Not yet but it's interesting to see FF speeding up the frequency of new releases. Microsoft and Google seem to be doing the same too - IE10 has been announced only a few weeks after the full release of IE9.

I wonder if you are better off staying with a more stable earlier version...?

Personally I found FF4 to be slower than 3.6 and so happily upgraded to v5 when it popped up and so far it has proved to be noticeably quicker on my laptop anyway.

Yup - 4 was horribly slow on my ageing laptop. Moving to 5 has been a marked improvement.

Had it installed on my laptop and desktop for a couple of days now.

Not sure why they've gone a full version up, it is an evolution of V4 rather than a substantial rewrite, main improvements are optimised and enhanced html5 support.

Anyone having memory issues with firefox 3.6. Not enough of my addons work with 4.0 and i'm waiting to see if 5.0 improves compatibility.

Memory issues i mean are that FF when left alone with about 20 tabs open will crash after hitting 1.5gbs of ram usage.

Opera is a good back up browser but it takes a while to get used to it, different shortcuts and layouts. And no bloody reload button!

Chrome is great, very quick but my addons are too important to give up.

FF 5 seems a marked improvement on 4.

No additional addons redundant and found a few to replace those that were lost with the upgrade to 4.

No cosmetic changes it's all "under the hood stuff"

Seems marginally faster and best of all finally after god knows how long seem to have solved the memory hog problem

ie. after having the required gazillion tabs open and building up the mem usage to 1.5gbs, previously when closing most of them a large chunk of that mem would remain in use

now it seems to all be released

hopefully the "building memory problem" (leave a few tabs open go away for a few hours and see the footprint massively increased) will have been fixed too (havn't monitored it yet).

Opera reload button is available.....

Menu - Appearence - Toolbars - Buttons

FF 5 seems a marked improvement on 4.

No additional addons redundant and found a few to replace those that were lost with the upgrade to 4.

No cosmetic changes it's all "under the hood stuff"

Seems marginally faster and best of all finally after god knows how long seem to have solved the memory hog problem

ie. after having the required gazillion tabs open and building up the mem usage to 1.5gbs, previously when closing most of them a large chunk of that mem would remain in use

now it seems to all be released

hopefully the "building memory problem" (leave a few tabs open go away for a few hours and see the footprint massively increased) will have been fixed too (havn't monitored it yet).

Opera reload button is available.....

Menu - Appearence - Toolbars - Buttons

Thx man about the button! Will be great to hear if the "memory building" issue has been solved. My computer is always on, so every 2-3 days, i need to shut down firefox before the memory usage has hit 1.4-1.5. It is more an inconvenience having to re-log into various websites and such.