JKay

I'm In Pain

13 posts in this topic

Any advice, feels like I have pulled a ham string, it feels a bit like cramp, hurts like hell, knee has gone stiff and feels tight and my foot has slight pins'n'needles, have to work, no sickies for me, whats the panels views on this and and any help will be extremly welcome.

PS, a visit to the Docs this week is not possible unless I'm dying.

Sorry if this is really obvious, but you are probably much better off taking ibuprofen than paracetamol for an injury like this.

Sorry if this is really obvious, but you are probably much better off taking ibuprofen than paracetamol for an injury like this.

Would it help to bandage it up to restrict movement or keep it moving but take it easy?

I'm not really qualified to say, but I'd not bandage it and just stay off it! Ibuprofen is better for muscular injuries, it will reduce swelling more, take the max dosage too. Doctor told me I could take 2 grammes a day for short periods, when I pulled a muscle in my back, but something like 6 X 200mg per 24 hours is probably a safer option. You could try Ibuprofen gel too, I found Tesco own brand is the best...just rub it in , where it hurts.

I know a couple of ladies who may be of some help with some massage, I'll try anything at the moment!

Being self-employed in construction I work through all sorts of shit, rare that anything gets to me, but this has, just driving the car home had me gritting my teeth, but now I'm home sitting in my nice cumfy swivel chair I find that will the leg tucked under the seat does help it some what. I need a desk job!

Massage helped, but then the money ran out. be interesting if I last the day at work tomorrow.

Massage helped, but then the money ran out. be interesting if I last the day at work tomorrow.

If the back of your thigh is swollen then you need to apply ice packs and rest the leg.

Also a compress bandage would help to keep the swelling down. Gentle stretching of the hamstrings may help.

You should not be doing anything strenuous at this time.

You probably need a prescription of dicloflenac sodium tablets (voltarol) from your GP to help with the pain an inflamation.

If the back of your thigh is swollen then you need to apply ice packs and rest the leg.

Also a compress bandage would help to keep the swelling down. Gentle stretching of the hamstrings may help.

You should not be doing anything strenuous at this time.

You probably need a prescription of dicloflenac sodium tablets (voltarol) from your GP to help with the pain an inflamation.

You can get Voltarol gel (to rub in) over the counter without a prescription.

Any advice, feels like I have pulled a ham string, it feels a bit like cramp, hurts like hell, knee has gone stiff and feels tight and my foot has slight pins'n'needles, have to work, no sickies for me, whats the panels views on this and and any help will be extremly welcome.

PS, a visit to the Docs this week is not possible unless I'm dying.

I would strongly recommend a visit to the doc. In the long run it will be better for you.

The symptoms you describe are unlike any hamstring injury I have ever suffered; I'm especially worried about the stiffness in the knee and the pins and needles sensations in the foot.

First treatment should be R.I.C.E. - Rest Ice Compression Elevation. Ibuprofen is a good anti-inflamotory but beware of over medication as it can create stomach problems.

Next get yourself down to A&E for a professional diagnosis, there could be deeper damage which if left undetected will take much, much longer to clear up.

You can buy Voltarol tablets over the counter too. They really worked for me last week with a badly sprained ankle. Took the swelling down and eased the ache of the sprain.

You can get Voltarol gel (to rub in) over the counter without a prescription.

My GP told me that the gel is not that effective compared to the tablets and told me not to waste my money on it.

Get it checked - the pins and needlesmay indicate a DVT ( Deep vein thrombosis).

If it is and the clot decides to travel.........

Just to add to this if you can get to a Sports Therapist, whilst not qualified to make medical diagnoses are usually very knowledgeable where muscles and joints are concerned.

From above RICE and stretching (if you know how to perform a hamstring stretch properly) are good self-help methods, plus ibuprofen for the swelling/pain.