triple h

Met Policed Launch Sex Slavery/trafficking Hotline

22 posts in this topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13604946

Freephone for trafficking victims The Metropolitan Police Service wants to encourage victims to come forward

A free phone line for the victims of human trafficking has been launched.

The Metropolitan Police Service wants people who have been brought to the UK and forced to work for little or no wages to report the crimes.

The number is featured in a poster campaign produced for the force and the charity Stop The Traffik.

The force's SCD9 unit, which fights human exploitation, has secured 12 convictions in 12 months and a further 20 people are awaiting trial.

Det Ch Supt Richard Martin, head of SCD9, said: "I hope that this poster and the freephone number it shows will encourage and enable victims who are suffering at the hands of traffickers to get in touch with us.

"Since SCD9 was formed in April last year, we have been working to raise awareness and understanding of all aspects of human trafficking, including trafficking for sexual exploitation and trafficking in the context of domestic servitude and forced labour."

Freephone for trafficking victims The Metropolitan Police Service wants to encourage victims to come forward

The Metropolitan Police Service wants people who have been brought to the UK and forced to work for little or no wages to report the crimes.

The number is featured in a poster campaign produced for the force and the charity Stop The Traffik.

The force's SCD9 unit, which fights human exploitation, has secured 12 convictions in 12 months and a further 20 people are awaiting trial.

Det Ch Supt Richard Martin, head of SCD9, said: "I hope that this poster and the freephone number it shows will encourage and enable victims who are suffering at the hands of traffickers to get in touch with us.

"Since SCD9 was formed in April last year, we have been working to raise awareness and understanding of all aspects of human trafficking, including trafficking for sexual exploitation and trafficking in the context of domestic servitude and forced labour."

Do you have an opinion on this Triple ?

This industry like any other has a dark side to it.

Like car ringers, cigarette smugglers, fake pharmaceutical dealers, counterfeit designer ware etc etc. Hopefully such initiatives as Triple has highlighted will encourage people to report the real victims and villains in this industry.

It may seem hypocritical for me to take the moral high ground but lets tell it as it is. You the clients create a demand but it's up to you who you choose to use and if you think they provide a safe a secure environment for yourself and the girl you choose to pay for sex ?

Do you have an opinion on this Triple ?

i think more should be done to encourage people to report traffickers, but many won't for fear of being prosecuted themselves.

maybe if the powers that be made brothels legal there's be no profit for the crimminals

Good to hear about this and if it results in any victims coming forward its worth it in my opinion.

This is the reason why the Met police have lost the plot compared to other forces in this country. I presume the poster is in English yet trafficked women generally will have difficulty in reading the poster. And will the kind trafficker stick one up in the room where the girls service clients. I think not!

Lets not forget the trafficked girls will be brainwashed to the point that if they try to find help they will be killed or deported and their families will be informed of their shame.

If they reached out with an olive branch to us punters who aren't all bad... but pigs will fly! Or is SCD9 trying to escape the chop.

It's well meaning but practically I don't think it's going to make a lot of difference. Punters aren't going to risk the new laws against them about seeing trafficked girls even if they did not realize they were.

i think more should be done to encourage people to report traffickers, but many won't for fear of being prosecuted themselves.

maybe if the powers that be made brothels legal there's be no profit for the crimminals

I believe Redline is for reporting anything like this if you don't want to report it to the police then they do!

I believe Redline is for reporting anything like this if you don't want to report it to the police then they do!

Hi Louisa who are Redline? Do you have a link? Are they like Crimestoppers? Linzi

If it gets a reputation like childline did so that people hear about it and trust it, then I suppose it could be a good thing. In general though it just seems like a high profile thing for show.

From what I've read about SW's anyway a lot of the imported ones have made their own decisions to be in that situation, maybe it was desperation that led to it in the first place or being on the wrong side of the tracks in their country, bad boyfriend etc, but I'm not sure how many of them want to 'escape' or are slaves as such.

From what I have read on other forums there is no point contacting Redline as they have no powers, unlike contacting crimestoppers where each report is acted appon in confidence, they do not ask who you are, they are just after info.

If it gets a reputation like childline did so that people hear about it and trust it, then I suppose it could be a good thing. In general though it just seems like a high profile thing for show.

From what I've read about SW's anyway a lot of the imported ones have made their own decisions to be in that situation, maybe it was desperation that led to it in the first place or being on the wrong side of the tracks in their country, bad boyfriend etc, but I'm not sure how many of them want to 'escape' or are slaves as such.

Being willingly trafficked is obviously better than being forcibly so but it doesnt make it right in my opinion.

While paying the bond off they are sex slaves, if they got ill or simply decided being a WG wasnt for them there traffickers or associates wouldnt be very happy i wouldnt imagine, who knows what would become of such a WG.

The willingly trafficked ones would not appreciate being rescued, it could mean deportation with whats left over owed on the bond still to pay off, the point is as a punter i havent the insight to know who is or isnt willing so if i felt a WG was unwilling i would want to do something and Crimestoppers would be who i would ring without giving my name.

smiths, I agree it's not good. But realistically I doubt how many of these leads the police are going to follow up if they don't get a clear cut indication from somewhere else that the girl has been forced into slavery.

Can I ask our members to keep on topic and not discuss any thing that may imply crimes may be being committed, or assumed, instead I suggest that you first point of call be "Crimstoppers".

If they reached out with an olive branch to us punters who aren't all bad... but pigs will fly! Or is SCD9 trying to escape the chop.

Why on eath would she reach out to the very men who are joining in and enabling her abusers to profit from her misery. How is she to know who is to be trusted and who is just acting that way. I am sure that a lot of the trafficers were more than charming till the day they revealed their true intent. Clearly for girl's who are allowed no freedom what so ever, the client is the first port of possibility, but only if he lets her know that there is help out there. Not all trafficed girls are on 24hr lock down, some do have a degree of freedom so I agree with the what the other guy said, the posters must be printed in a host of languages so that these girls can read them if there is to be any use to them at all.

I know I just contradicted myself up there a little, but it is not an unomplicated situation is it.

smiths, I agree it's not good. But realistically I doubt how many of these leads the police are going to follow up if they don't get a clear cut indication from somewhere else that the girl has been forced into slavery.

If your concerned there really isnt much else you can do though. Its contact the authorities, risk your own safety or do nothing, i would only consider the former and once i have done so and given them my information its the authorities job to deal with it, its sadly not in my power to make them obviously but i would hope they do look into these kind of allegations. I would say when ringing where i saw her profile/site advertised initially so along with the address they already have a bit to go on.

Edited by smiths

I know I just contradicted myself up there a little, but it is not an unomplicated situation is it.

No, Ma'am, it most certainly is not!

If a monoglot Roumanian, who wanted to go on the game in a London parlour, asked a sophisticated polyglot schyster to buy her a ticket on Ryanair to Gatquick, and find her a room somewhere for a couple of weeks, and she pays him, and he does it for her, then she will, by England&Wales law, be trafficked!

If I were the Met (and I'm not) I think I'd have credit-card sized cards printed in appropriate languages (Roumanian, Albanian, Byelorussian, "Nigerian", Chinese (reformed) for a start) with the message on one side - "If you are doing something you don't want to do, and fear that if you stop, you'll suffer, ring the number on the other side for help. IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU WILL NOT BE DEPORTED". Then I'd distribute these cards, in bulk, round respectable parlours, with the suggestion that receptionists hand them out to the punters, with the suggestion that they pass them on if they ever meet a girl that they think is "unhappy" on the game. This will be in the interests of "respectable" knocking shops, to stop them being under-cut by the outfits that enslave the genuinely trafficked victims.

Edited by Irgendeiner

Hi Louisa who are Redline? Do you have a link? Are they like Crimestoppers? Linzi

I don't have a link no sorry but if you join The LBB forum which is a North West based punting forum you will see the banner on the top, click on it and all the info is there x

From what I have read on other forums there is no point contacting Redline as they have no powers, unlike contacting crimestoppers where each report is acted appon in confidence, they do not ask who you are, they are just after info.

From what I was told at my meeting with the rep from Redline last year in Manchester they do have powers to act on info given and its in exactly the same way as Crimestoppers in that you can if you wish remain anonymous.

I'm a little encouraged that they're asking the victims to report it, rather than deciding for them that they're "trafficked" and then "rescuing" them.

But I'm afraid that even if girls in that position get access to this information and use it, we're as likely to deport them as give them real help. Am I wrong?