Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beenaboutabit

Phone Call From Technical Support

16 posts in this topic

On Saturday 4th June a.m I received a call from a woman with an almost impenetrable Indian accent saying she was calling from BT Technical Support and my PC/Internet had been noticed to be working slowly; she wanted me to switch the PC and Broadband on and let her guide me through a process of remedial adjustments to put things right.

I declined and tried to send an email to BT asking for confirmation, but found that to be like trying to get a call into God, so rather than run the gauntlet of BT's menu driven phone service I waited for them to contact me either by email or postal mail. I've had nothing from them and assume the call had been a deliberate attempt to get into my PC.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Edited by Beenaboutabit

On Saturday 4th June a.m I received a call from a woman with an almost impenetrable Indian accent saying she was calling from BT Technical Support and my PC/Internet had been noticed to be working slowly; she wanted me to switch the PC and Broadband on and let her guide me through a process of remedial adjustments to put things right.

I declined and tried to send an email to BT asking for confirmation, but found that to be like trying to get a call into God, so rather than run the gauntlet of BT's menu driven phone service I waited for them to contact me either by email or postal mail. I've had nothing from them and assume the call had been a deliberate attempt to get into my PC.

Anyone had a similar experience?

I have had several phone calls of this nature claiming to have discovered faults on my computer.I counter this by saying that i do not have a computer and usually get the reaction 'oh'.They then cut off the call.

I have had several phone calls of this nature claiming to have discovered faults on my computer.I counter this by saying that i do not have a computer and usually get the reaction 'oh'.They then cut off the call.

I had something similar last week. The number displayed indicated the call was UK based, but I suspect they had spoofed the system as the accent indicated some overseas call centre. I think I threw the caller off his script by asking him for his name, the offered answer was characteristically implausible.

He went on to resume stumbling through his script telling me that they had detected a malware infection on my computer. There then followed an interesting exchange where he struggled to understand what I meant when I said to him that I thought he was a crook. After he asked for clarification I used the word criminal instead, and strangely the call finished abruptly.

I have heard of this scam - basically they are trying to get you to sign up to a monthly Support Agreement for some ridiculous amount. Not so different to PC World/Currys I suppose, except they are cold-calling at random.

I have heard of this scam - basically they are trying to get you to sign up to a monthly Support Agreement for some ridiculous amount. Not so different to PC World/Currys I suppose, except they are cold-calling at random.

The variant that I have heard described involves conning you into downloading a virus to "clean up" a mythical malware infection. What the person does once they have your PC under their control I'm not sure, but I guess they would have plenty of options, all of them costly to the victim.

I'm sure there are many different versions of this scam.

simple rule on this

if anyone calls you asking for personal details ask them for a number to call em back

if they give you a number, google it before calling.

but i bet they put the phone down on you.

How long before the Nigerians perfect this scam?

This is an on going scam for years and there are many versions carried out at varies levels of sophistication.

The organisation they will claim to work for varies, it might be BT, Microsoft or other well known technology company. This is a lie. If you receive this type of unsolicited phone call from customer support. Say you will call back on the official number.

They generally want you to either download some software or enable the remote maintenance features built into windows and install it them selves. They will describe it as mainternace/fix-it/tune-up software. It is not it is malware or spyware. Sometimes this is lockout your computer and hold you to ransom, sometimes it will try key log passwords for identify & CC fraud.

Sometimes they will try to charge you a fee for the fix service via CC, these are often very high and when (if) the person complains they will be offered a special customer discount to get your credit card details.

Telephone wise they are actually using voice over the internet service (VOIP) for the international part of the call and what called a breaking out service so they only pay for a local phone call (this is similar to Skype when you call a land line). So there number may appear to be local, but will sometimes be number withheld.

...and I had it this evening - caller wasn't quite sure whether he was BT-Internet or Microsoft, but either way he was technical support eager to help me. Prat!

Edited by Irgendeiner

I now play a game of seeing how long I can keep them chatting.

The last was 18 minutes and the callers parting words were 'Why don't you hang up you bast****'

Many thanks for the replies. As my pc was running at the time of the call and was right next to me, albeit not signed into the internet, I was still slightly concerned that somehow it may have been possible to have accessed information from folders I keep on the screen. (As you will appreciate I am a techie dinosaur!)

Amidst the gibberish there were references to both BT and Microsoft. However I'd no idea of the precise origins of the call (other than the accent) and a 1471 query met with a negative.

I've been away from the Internet for over a year and only recently returned, this time with BT, thus the call had some relevance due to teething problems I have had.

Cheers to all of you, I feel better for the reassurance.

Many thanks for the replies. As my pc was running at the time of the call and was right next to me, albeit not signed into the internet, I was still slightly concerned that somehow it may have been possible to have accessed information from folders I keep on the screen. (As you will appreciate I am a techie dinosaur!)

Amidst the gibberish there were references to both BT and Microsoft. However I'd no idea of the precise origins of the call (other than the accent) and a 1471 query met with a negative.

I've been away from the Internet for over a year and only recently returned, this time with BT, thus the call had some relevance due to teething problems I have had.

Cheers to all of you, I feel better for the reassurance.

I think it was a good thing that you started this thread :)

It seems that there are some serious attempts by malicious persons/organisations trying to inveigle their way onto PCs to cause disruption and distress.

Even for the tech savvy it can catch you off guard, so hopefully this thread will alert the unwary to this potential danger.

I've had 2 such calls in the last week the last one this afternoon. I just hang up nowadays ( I used to be polite on the phone with everyone, now I can't be bothered)

Their number usually shows up on caller ID as 0000000

I've just finished talking to a mate about this, his mother a pensioner has fallen for this scam earlier this afternoon, after a few crossed phone calls the end result is:

They called her up and said hackers were in her computer.

They said it would cost her £19.99 to fix.

She gave them her debit card details, got some mumbo jumbo about a remote fix installed at it was fixed.

She immediately spoke to her son who called me, because of my IT expertise.

I said to call the Bank immediately and cancel/stop the transaction. She called them less than 20 minutes afterwards and found out they've charged her nearly £1,600 (Yes 16 hundred pounds) which has practically cleared out her current account. The Bank say because she used her debit card they can do nothing about it (I know this is not strictly true but it is going to be a major hassle to sort out).

SO please everybody make sure your friends and family know all about this scam, especially anybody that is bit naive or ignorant regarding computers.