Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Strawberry

Emails Disappearing?

7 posts in this topic

I've just had an email enquiry sent straight from someone's email address, marked typed on a Blackberry (I don't think that matters by the way). I replied within 5 minutes only to have it bounced back as undelivered. In the blurb it stated that the person doesn't have a yahoo account. I resent a couple of times with the same results.

Now once upon a time Yahoo would block hotmail accounts, on the grounds of spam prevention. So I went off and tried a temporary email account attached to my ISP account. It's a yahoo.co.uk address and so the same as the senders. Same thing happened, returned undelivered with the following line;

Remote host said: 554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account

I've had the same once or twice in the past too, but not involving a Blackberry (which is why I think it's irrelevant).

Could it be that the sender is using some sort of fake account?or they are shutting it down as soon as they send their email?

I'm not going to chase around trying to find other domains, and before anyone says anything I have had my hotmail account for a number of years and am not interested in having to change it for gmail etc. It is fine apart from this little glitch(which could happen there anyway).

Edited by Strawberry

at the top of the incoming email, look at show details. this shows the email header

if the mailed by value is different from the from value then its probably dodgy. delete the email.

at the top of the incoming email, look at show details. this shows the email header

if the mailed by value is different from the from value then its probably dodgy. delete the email.

I think it looks bona fide, bit difficult with all that technical stuff to read through - but the sender appears to the same as the 'from'.

I remember on one of the previous occasions I had the same situation, the client rang the next day. I said I'd send him a reply to his email then it bounced back again, he never phoned again. Unfortunately in this line you can't tell if it's someone doing something for fun, or getting extreme cold feet.

Anymore ideas anyone?

Edited by Strawberry

Could it be that the sender is using some sort of fake account?or they are shutting it down as soon as they send their email?

I'm not going to chase around trying to find other domains, and before anyone says anything I have had my hotmail account for a number of years and am not interested in having to change it for gmail etc. It is fine apart from this little glitch(which could happen there anyway).

I've got two brats who use gmail, and one who insists on hotmail. The difference is only relevant when it comes to me sending large attachments (photographs, usually) because gmail will receive 25 Mb, whereas hotmail has a much lower limit, other than that, I don't see any difference.

It isn't difficult (for people with more savvy than me) to send e-mails with a "from" address which isn't actually whence the message came. Why, however, anyone should do that to you is beyond me - I'm assuming that the text was of the sort that you might expect, enquiring about some aspect of your service which you have made abundantly clear on your site, and asking after a date/time? Daft!

It is very easy to forge email headers, junk email senders do it all the time.

I've got two brats who use gmail, and one who insists on hotmail. The difference is only relevant when it comes to me sending large attachments (photographs, usually) because gmail will receive 25 Mb, whereas hotmail has a much lower limit, other than that, I don't see any difference.

It isn't difficult (for people with more savvy than me) to send e-mails with a "from" address which isn't actually whence the message came. Why, however, anyone should do that to you is beyond me - I'm assuming that the text was of the sort that you might expect, enquiring about some aspect of your service which you have made abundantly clear on your site, and asking after a date/time? Daft!

Yes annoyingly it's a completely legitmate enquiry, the sender has introduced himself and said he'd very much like to arrange an appointment and would I reply in order to establish contact. No adverts, no nigerian scam (well not unless they are now using Blackberries, claiming to be from small English towns and no longer mentioning God!).

Like I say this has happened before, in one instance where the enquirer phoned I didn't make the link between him and his failed email reply. Was too late when we'd parted, with myself promising to send more detail.

Perhaps it is as simple as them having some odd settings on their inbox facility?

I've had that problem on a webmail account.

Check the senders email address and make sure your email software has not added a full-stop to it. If it has, remove it.

Its good for punctuation protocol, but it will indeed bounce it back as un-sendable