Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surreypunter

Smartphone Help

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

New to the forum world but have been reading PN reviews for years.

Have purchased a new smartphone - Motorola Atrix on Orange. Really like the phone but have been unable to download any apps. Have tried a number, to check it wasn't any in particular, but all I keep getting is the same message along the lines of download in progress and download is queued. The status bar at the top has a continuous stream of arrows indicating data is coming in. I have left it like this for up to 4 hours and nothing seems to complete. In the end I cancel the download. Three apps I tried were FB, Angry Birds and a QR reader - all with the same result. Took phone back to orange and i spoke to a call centre who put sent some settings to the phone and then asked for the battery to be removed and then monitor over the next 24 hrs. Nothing has changed, hence my request for help before i take the handset back again. Anybody else experienced this and did they resolve the problem???

Thanks

Surreypunter

if you can find an app then obviously you've set up a gmail account. on first connection to android marketplace you should have received T's & C's which must be agreed to - this has been known to not pop up at times, 2 things to try, from settings find applications >> all applications and select Market, you should have options for 'Force Stop' and 'Clear data' try both in that order, it may warn you of a data delete, accept and try to enter the market again, it should request your gmail sign in, if not you may need a factory reset, depending on your android version this may be in settings >> SD card and phone storage >> factory data reset. or settings >> privacy >> factory data reset.

are you trying over wifi or 3G, if your 3G signal is ridiculously weak it may fail to initiate the download, having both enabled simultaneously can also have issues - try one or the other (wifi/3G)

try initiating an app install from your PC by signing into https://market.android.com/ with your gmail credentials see if it jumps start the whole download.

trial and error I'm afraid - hope it resolves, that's a cracking phone you got

i always download apps overnight while connected to home wifi. seems to work best.

if you can find an app then obviously you've set up a gmail account. on first connection to android marketplace you should have received T's & C's which must be agreed to - this has been known to not pop up at times, 2 things to try, from settings find applications >> all applications and select Market, you should have options for 'Force Stop' and 'Clear data' try both in that order, it may warn you of a data delete, accept and try to enter the market again, it should request your gmail sign in, if not you may need a factory reset, depending on your android version this may be in settings >> SD card and phone storage >> factory data reset. or settings >> privacy >> factory data reset.

are you trying over wifi or 3G, if your 3G signal is ridiculously weak it may fail to initiate the download, having both enabled simultaneously can also have issues - try one or the other (wifi/3G)

try initiating an app install from your PC by signing into https://market.android.com/ with your gmail credentials see if it jumps start the whole download.

trial and error I'm afraid - hope it resolves, that's a cracking phone you got

Hi damien / coventrypunter,

Thanks for the replies (and taking so long to come back).

I tried Force Stop which unfortunately didn't cure the problem but the Factory Reset has done, so many thanks.

Only gripe now is that 3G coverage can still be patchy with Orange, even though you have the T-Mobile network as well. Oh well, can't have everything :-)

Thanks again

surreypunter

Have just upgraded my phone and it was a choice between that and the iPhone 4.

I chose the iPhone 4 but would be really interested to know what you think of the attrix. The iPhone is great in every way but the gps keeps letting me down making my sat nav app a waste of time.

Have just upgraded my phone and it was a choice between that and the iPhone 4.

I chose the iPhone 4 but would be really interested to know what you think of the attrix. The iPhone is great in every way but the gps keeps letting me down making my sat nav app a waste of time.

Hi coffee2sugars,

After a few false starts I'm pretty happy with the attrix. However, i don't have anything to compare it with in terms of previous smartphones as my last phone was a Nokia from 5 or 6 years ago. I've not really tested the sat nav feature to be honest as not been anywhere recently that i needed directions to. Though that feature is fairly battery hungry on any phone and a in-car charger i would say would be a must. I tend to have the GPS on and it's pretty good on picking up my location for things like Facebook check ins. before i got this phone i was adament that i'd avoid blackberrys and iphones but not so sure now. the iphone 4 still seems to be the one to beat and i5 is out in a few months by all accounts. the iphone just seems to work so well straight out of the box and apart from that antenna issue when it first came out everyone seems to love them. Someone has a blackberry torch at work and I have to say i like the look of that with the touchcreen / keyboard combination. I'm still not convinced about touchscreens (doesn't help having chubby fingers) but willing to give them a chance.

As an aside I still sometimes think that its not the phones shortcoming but those of the mobile network providers. I quite often lose my 3G signal and so data transfer is very slow. I'm with orange ans thought with both theirs and t-mobiles network being accessible i would have thought coverage would be near ubiquitous all over. It picks up the wi-fi at home and that is noticebly quicker and I've recently moved to BT b/band so have access to their hotspots when i'm out and about.

Got this phone for another 22 months so plenty of time to get to grips with any foibles it may have. At the end of the day i'm primarily using it for calls, texting, bit of facebook and occasional ad-hoc internet searches for things like trains times etc.

Enjoy the iphone4, i'm sure you have made a good choice.

Surreypunter