Kayak

Iphone Or Blackberry On Payg For Punting?

9 posts in this topic

I've got a work Blackberry, and for a few years I've not had to pay (or even see) a mobile phone bill! (which has been great). But, I realise that I'm starting to behave a little dangerously with my work Blackberry, by using it to access my gmail account which I have set up, dedicated to managing my punting. I don't know if these mails can be read by people who work in my IT department, but I really think it's a risk, and I don't want to lose my job and wife by being caught out.

So, I've been thinking about getting a new smartphone for this purpose, (I already have an old pay as you go phone that I use to call ladies when I make appointments, which I top up by about £10 every 2 months or so), but I fancy getting an Iphone as a personal - non work, smartphone.

Any recommendations for where to buy one cheaply for Pay as you go? and what would be a good network bundle, presumably on pay as you go, for mostly data usage? Thanks for reading.

Iphone 4 are overpriced and after sales market for apps also costs loads, try looking for android phones with loads of free apps. Currently the Iphone4 topper is Samsung galaxy S2, If you are after deals i.e line rental & a smartphone look in Hotukdeals.com

Unfortunately iPhone and cheap are not synonomous! If you really 'need' one but don't need the latest iPhone 4 and can make do with the previous 3GS model, you can pick them up on eBay unlocked for about £150-200. Then you can buy a PAYG iPhone SIM from around £15. Not bad value for what is still a good phone. You could as RamRod suggests buy a cheaper Android phone though.

Unfortunately iPhone and cheap are not synonomous! If you really 'need' one but don't need the latest iPhone 4 and can make do with the previous 3GS model, you can pick them up on eBay unlocked for about £150-200. Then you can buy a PAYG iPhone SIM from around £15. Not bad value for what is still a good phone. You could as RamRod suggests buy a cheaper Android phone though.

Cheers PVCMan, sounds tempting to me.

HTC have just updated their range of phones with the Wildfire S and Desire S. The older but still capable models are still available at discounted rates.

The HTC Wildfire is around £100 plus top-up on 3. The Wildfire S is around £200 plus top-up.

Topping up that regularly, you should be able to get a good deal on data with 3.

Edited by Freddie68

Agreed. If you want iphone, you can get used 3G/3Gs for under £150 fro ebay, or from one of those "pawn" shops.

As for the cheapest SIM, the best ones is the GiffGaff(Don't pay attention to the silly name, lol, and they are piggybacking on the o2 network). £10 per month for 250 min, unlimited text and most importantly unlimited data (though I think its actually 1gb, which is still more then enough). However they dont officially provide microSIMs (to use in Iphone4/Ipad only), but will cut it for your for free when they feel like it, lol from here.

Androids phones are sound, but my favorite Bubble Burst game is constantly lagging on my Samsung Gallxy S2. :( (not that you going to bother about it, but its vastly annoying for me ;-()

I used to have an Android phone but got fed up of having to take it back to the shop at least once a month to have it repaired.

Best way to check is do a YouTube search for 'HTC faults', iPhone faults' and 'Blackberry faults' and work out which of those is going to limit your use more than the others, especially as you're looking for a PAYG phone.

Presuming that you find the Blackberry to be the most reliable in terms of non-lagging and reliability, and seeing as you're looking for mainly internet use, T-Mobile have a six-month Blackberry booster offer on at the moment - £20 for six months unlimited BBmail and internet.

Androids phones are sound, but my favorite Bubble Burst game is constantly lagging on my Samsung Gallxy S2. :( (not that you going to bother about it, but its vastly annoying for me ;-()

Any other issues with the S2? I'm due for an upgrade on Tuesday and was considering this ahead of the Iphone.

Never knew what the fuss was until I bought a 2nd hand iPhone 3GS on Vodafone. Same as the OP I havn't seen a mobile bill in years.slotted my work sim in and the rest is history. Great phones that just work!

We are getting Samsung galaxy S2's in May for work so I'll be using the iPhone for punting. Does anyone know if it's easy to "unlock" an iPhone so I can use "3"?