Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JamesBG

Why Are Some Brothels Tolerated By The Police

16 posts in this topic

Let me make it clear that I consider the current law on Brothels to be unacceptable and dangerous. It is obvious to any thinking person that two or more ladies working together is safer than one alone.

However, I do not understand how it can be acceptable that effectively brothels in certain police areas are "tolerated" even when they have national recognition, whereas in other areas a couple of ladies working together are prosecuted.

My questions for you who have more knowledge of the law than me, or of brothels (I have never been to one) are:

Do the police have the power to ignore certain crimes?

If so does this not give them the power to effectively create new laws?

I can see that in this case police using their discrection is for the best, but does this not give them too much power?

Would really appreciate hearing the opinions of people who understand these things.

Confused

James

Let me make it clear that I consider the current law on Brothels to be unacceptable and dangerous. It is obvious to any thinking person that two or more ladies working together is safer than one alone.

However, I do not understand how it can be acceptable that effectively brothels in certain police areas are "tolerated" even when they have national recognition, whereas in other areas a couple of ladies working together are prosecuted.

My questions for you who have more knowledge of the law than me, or of brothels (I have never been to one) are:

Do the police have the power to ignore certain crimes?

If so does this not give them the power to effectively create new laws?

I can see that in this case police using their discrection is for the best, but does this not give them too much power?

Would really appreciate hearing the opinions of people who understand these things.

Confused

James

The cynic in me says that if a brothel seems to be successful and no one is being forced etc. then they'll leave it be.......until it's made a load of money for the owner who they then jump on from a great height and take all the money using POCA. No sense shutting them down when there's no money yet.

Part of the pragmatic British way of life.

Before the Sunday Trading laws were changed some local authorities always prosecuted shops that opened on a Sunday whilst others saw the benefit to the local economy and turned a blind eye. In the end the law was changed to stop this nonsense. I doubt if we will see the same common sense approach to brothels.

Part of the pragmatic British way of life.

Before the Sunday Trading laws were changed some local authorities always prosecuted shops that opened on a Sunday whilst others saw the benefit to the local economy and turned a blind eye. In the end the law was changed to stop this nonsense. I doubt if we will see the same common sense approach to brothels.

I guess it depends whether senior coppers are customers at the brothels in question.

I guess it depends whether senior coppers are customers at the brothels in question.

I bet they are well looked after on the house :angry:

Now then, now then!

if the police think there are pimps involved and women are being forced to work they will act and should do. otherwise they are not really bothered, unless they don't like you for some reason. the police will lay down rules sometimes though, e.g no working after a certain time, no drugs, keep noise level low, etc.

this could change very quickly though, if the govt decided to crack down, then the police could do raids.

if the police think there are pimps involved and women are being forced to work they will act and should do. otherwise they are not really bothered, unless they don't like you for some reason. the police will lay down rules sometimes though, e.g no working after a certain time, no drugs, keep noise level low, etc.

this could change very quickly though, if the govt decided to crack down, then the police could do raids.

I'd add "... or if the police suspect, as does happen, that dirty money from some other endevour is being laundered."

The fundamental issue, however, is down to prosecutorial discretion. In some countries, in consequence, usually, of a history, such as the NSDAP period in Germany, when the law was bendable, any complaint MUST lead to a criminal investigation being opened by a magistrate, irrespective of the cost of the proceedings (particularly, today, Poland) and in others, it is entirely up to the police/CPS whether they decide to investigate or not. Personalities, gender prejudice and local politics all play their part.

I'm sure that the OP has been given a gentle warning by a policeman for speeding, or parking etc, once in a while, when they could have made it "official"? And he's been much relieved?

I also think its broader than this

I think its to do with priorities of the police, what else they have on their plate and where it ranks

I suspect a well run house/brothel that is not connected to drugs, traficking is more likly to be left alone

Also places that are sited with consideration for the local area, if you open next door to a school you are gonna get trouble, if you site it in an out of the way area, not near schools/nosey neighbours etc you are more likly to be left alone

I think the more complaints you get and the more "attention" you get the more likly you are to have a visit from plod and plodettes

but run a tight ship, in the right area, not bothering anyone, not being connected to gangs/organised crime/drugs, not money laundering then you are gonna be ok,

snip// the more likly you are to have a visit from plod and plodettes //snip

They visit our local brothels as routine to see if everything is ok and warn of dodgy punters etc

The cynic in me says that if a brothel seems to be successful and no one is being forced etc. then they'll leave it be.......until it's made a load of money for the owner who they then jump on from a great height and take all the money using POCA. No sense shutting them down when there's no money yet.

This is the best reason i have heard although it doesnt explain why this situation was occuring before POCA. There is a certain unescapable logic to it for me and only if a neighbour complains or other evidence comes along in the meantime do the police foreshorten their thinking.

I saw a report on the BBC1 news just now where it said a record £1 billion was seized or frozen last year and the National Crime Agency is looking to do even more in the future so i would guess this will sadly include brothels who dont have trafficked or forced WGs.

I saw a report on the BBC1 news just now where it said a record £1 billion was seized or frozen last year and the National Crime Agency is looking to do even more in the future so i would guess this will sadly include brothels who dont have trafficked or forced WGs.

If I owned a profitable brothel I would be making sure that any assets that I had were well beyond the reach of the Regional Asset Recovery Team.

In my part of the world there's a chain of 6 parlours, all owned by the same married couple who live quite some distance away but still in the UK. They've been operating for at least the last 20 years. The girls who work there are under the impression that the owner is a black guy who lives locally.

Not so. A few searches at the Land Registry and Companies House reveals the true owners, their addresses and the other businesses and companies that they own. The freeholds of all 6 parlours are owned by companies under their control. None of these appear in any way to be beyond the reach of Assets Recovery should the parlours ever be busted. If I can easily unearth the information then I assume that Assets Recovery would be able to do the same. Perhaps though the owners are cleverer than I give them credit for. I'm not so sure though.

If I recall correctly, I understand that a number of Police Authorities adopted the more liberal guidelines issued by the Home Office prior to the Smith days. Presumably, they found them to work effectively for the circumstances in their areas and, having regard to their more urgent priorities, have continued to employ them. Other, less progressive areas, perhaps having officials who are more driven by political or religious agendas, adopt a repressive attitude. It would be interesting to see if the latter are equally zealous with the prosecution of all other law breaking activities e.g. littering, exceeding 30 m.p.h. etc .........I doubt it.

A few months ago, a leading figure in APCO, called for a mature, national debate to arrive at a sensible and practical consensus. So far, from what I can tell, there has been nothing but a deafening silence.

As both the Police and politicians understand that there will never be any compromise between the abolitionists and the liberals, and that society is split 50:50 on the subject, in my opinion, the present situation is likely to continue for the foreseeable future.

I bet they are well looked after on the house :angry:

tut tut...if they did visit parlours I doubt very much they would announce themselves. Jeez.