mega

35 posts in this topic

A POCA hearing has ordered a brothel owner to pay £2 million in six months or face an extra seven years in jail. It might be worthwhile noting that in this case "seven years" means "seven years"; there isn't the facility for serving half your sentence and then being released.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/8209458.stm

hope he goes abroad somewhere where he can't be traced

Poetic justice

I agree he was an arsehole for not paying tax but didn't the mother of Baby P get 5 years where is the justice there ?

hope he goes abroad somewhere where he can't be traced

Why?? :rolleyes::confused:

I agree he was an arsehole for not paying tax but didn't the mother of Baby P get 5 years where is the justice there ?

A POCA hearing determines what assets a person has; this man will not have been ordered to pay £2,000,000 if he hadn't got assets of that amount. The justice is that before this act people could be sentenced to prison yet still come out having benefitted from their criminality (whatever that was).

A recent ruling stated:-

The legislation is intended to deprive defendants of the benefit they have gained from relevant criminal conduct, whether or not they have retained such benefit, within the limits of their available means. It does not provide for confiscation in the sense understood by schoolchildren and others, but nor does it operate by way of fine. The benefit gained is the total value of the property or advantage obtained, not the defendant’s net profit after deduction of expenses or any amounts payable to co-conspirators.

The courts will have heard that the defendant in this case has assets of £2 million; the six months grace will be to realise those assets (eg a house) & repay the amount. The sentencing for this has nothing to do with the original case for which the defendant received 21 months compared with the five years in the Baby P case.

Was the crime committed one of tax evasion or actually profiting from a brothel. If so why do other brothels operate legitimately? It's plainly obvious those that run brothels are profiting from people other than themselves providing sexual services in return for pay. Why the loophole and why not a level playing field?

Anyone who doesn't pay income tax and then has the temerity to drive around in a Ferrari is fair game. He gets no sympathy from me.

Was the crime committed one of tax evasion or actually profiting from a brothel. If so why do other brothels operate legitimately?

No brothels operate "legitimately" but in the vast majority of cases the authorities turn a blind eye, maybe they don't see it as a high priority.:rolleyes:

Anyone who doesn't pay income tax and then has the temerity to drive around in a Ferrari is fair game. He gets no sympathy from me.

Yes, spot on.

When you are obtaining large amounts of untaxed income you should keep a very low profile ------ not drive around in a Ferrari, that is simply taking the piss.

many brothel owners do pay tax yet still end up being prosecuted so why pay tax?

you may as well be hung for a fox than a sheep.

will those mps fiddling their expenses be prosecuted? doubt it

many brothel owners do pay tax yet still end up being prosecuted so why pay tax?

the vast majority of brothels get left alone, if you pay no tax at all it is hard to buy property etc.

will those mps fiddling their expenses be prosecuted? Doubt it

only a handful of mp's could be prosecuted, most were simply taking advantage of "the system" -------- immoral maybe but not illegal.

xxxxxxxxxx

To earn £2m legitimately after tax, he would have to earn £3.3m taxable in 7 years, or £476,190 per annum.

I think I would take the seven years if my money were safe, put my feet up, and learn a few foreign languages at HM's expense.

To earn £2m legitimately after tax, he would have to earn £3.3m taxable in 7 years, or £476,190 per annum.

I think I would take the seven years if my money were safe, put my feet up, and learn a few foreign languages at HM's expense.

Lester Piggott chose prison rather than pay his taxes.

I wonder if he would have to actually serve 7 years, unlikely I would have thought. :cool:

How could you guarantee that cash would stay safe for 7 years?

Running a brothel cannot be the most challenging of pursuits. If anything you can sit back and count the money while others do the work for you. The only gripe and dilemma seems to be the laundry. It surprises me that brothels are not run like co-operatives and perhaps make a percentage donation to charities that help the victims of prostitution.

How could you guarantee that cash would stay safe for 7 years?

Where do you put large amounts of spare money? You either invest in property, invest in shares, or keep it in cash either in the bank or safety deposit boxes.

My betting is the money is in a bank overseas, or in safety deposit boxes.

Whoever has the bank deposit numbers, or keys, he will have to trust while he eats porridge.

Where do you put large amounts of spare money? You either invest in property, invest in shares, or keep it in cash either in the bank or safety deposit boxes.

Property and shares would leave a "paper trail" ------- if either were traced they could be confisgated as "proceeds of crime".

I would go for the safety deposit box option, not just one box, maybe half a dozen. :cool:

Property and shares would leave a "paper trail" ------- if either were traced they could be confisgated as "proceeds of crime".

I would go for the safety deposit box option, not just one box, maybe half a dozen. :cool:

But who hold the keys, or who has the ID to access them. Seven years is a long time to contemplate "just where did I put that key", or "where did I hide those numbers".

Meanwhile Ronnie Biggs' friends have leased a cafe 2 doors away and are tunnelling into the bank vault.

Not a relaxing 7 years, especially if the house where you hid the keys is sold.

With so much money involved, trust normally gets replaced by the person with no scruples. Now where is my canoe?

Meanwhile Ronnie Biggs' friends have leased a cafe 2 doors away and are tunnelling into the bank vault.

I thought of that which is why I said use half a dozen boxes (in different banks). :cool:

But who hold the keys, or who has the ID to access them. Seven years is a long time to contemplate "just where did I put that key", or "where did I hide those numbers".

Not a relaxing 7 years, especially if the house where you hid the keys is sold.

With so much money involved, trust normally gets replaced by the person with no scruples. Now where is my canoe?

Being in a cell for just 4 hours is frustrating enough when you cant get to a phone to sort minor problems.

7 years worrying about 2 million. Sod that. He should do a runner.

I thought of that which is why I said use half a dozen boxes (in different banks). :cool:

From the film "Bank Job". Excellent film. They nick a load of money from the vaults which belongs to serious criminals, so the seriuos criminals start asking around to find who has done the digging.

A lot of tongues start wagging when serious violence is threatened on those in the know. Organised criminals can solve crime far quicker than the police can.

Mind you, when a friend of mine who was in the Flying Squad retired, I asked him about his pension. He said with a wink in his eye, with my address book, I don't need a pension.

Most definitely in different banks and deposit locations and overseas as well. And absolutely no id or dna in the box. It was last year the police opened all the deposit boxes in some London depository. If you wanted the contents you had to go to the police and ask for them back. The police decided all the deposit boxes were being used to hide proceeds of crime.

http://cms.met.police.uk/news/major_operational_announcements/raid_on_safety_depository_business_leads_to_over_1000_investigations

Being in a cell for just 4 hours is frustrating enough when you cant get to a phone to sort minor problems.

7 years worrying about 2 million. Sod that. He should do a runner.

He is not worrying about £2m. He has to pay £2m to HMG to stop going to jail and start worrying about unknown proceeds of crime.

Most definitely in different banks and deposit locations and overseas as well. And absolutely no id or dna in the box. It was last year the police opened all the deposit boxes in some London depository. If you wanted the contents you had to go to the police and ask for them back. The police decided all the deposit boxes were being used to hide proceeds of crime.

http://cms.met.police.uk/news/major_operational_announcements/raid_on_safety_depository_business_leads_to_over_1000_investigations

Anyone would think we live in a police state. ;):eek:

It looks like we do. :cool: