smiths

Help.

9 posts in this topic

Help. i have a technical problem and cant even send a PM to admin to alert them.

When i post a hashtag 20310 message comes up which says;

"Your secure key used to verify you are posting the topic did not match the one submitted" What does this mean please anybody and what do i have to do to get it sorted out? I am a technical idiot so it needs to be explained in basic plain terms. Thanks.

I'm not a tech idiot but only a few steps up......

Basically it means that the board can't confirm that it's you posting.

A few things which may be causing it....

Your browsers become a bit corrupted - try....

navigate away from the board

clear out your cache and cookies

come back (you should have to login again)

Your isp is directing you here through a proxy**

Copy your reply to your clipboard go away then come back to the thread and login

Paste your reply and it should work (seems a workaround that has worked on some other boards)

hope this helps if it doesn't don't know what to suggest.

If this is the case it would seem that pnet has been added to the governments list of banned sites which may cause problems for everyone as the list propogates around the various isps

I'm not a tech idiot but only a few steps up......

Basically it means that the board can't confirm that it's you posting.

A few things which may be causing it....

Your browsers become a bit corrupted - try....

navigate away from the board

clear out your cache and cookies

come back (you should have to login again)

Your isp is directing you here through a proxy**

Copy your reply to your clipboard go away then come back to the thread and login

Paste your reply and it should work (seems a workaround that has worked on some other boards)

hope this helps if it doesn't don't know what to suggest.

If this is the case it would seem that pnet has been added to the governments list of banned sites which may cause problems for everyone as the list propogates around the various isps

Cheers for your advice. I have done most of this and it has cut down the frequency of this happening but it still is on ocassion.

I have already been through the age verification process with my ISP so iits not that and i am only having problems on here.

Edited by smiths

Sorry I couldn't be of help.

The proxy thing I was rambling on about has nowt to do with any age verification process. It's the way you access the web via your ISP (at least with most of them, 95% or so, here in the UK).

Although not yet required by law Isps are strongly encouraged to filter traffic to certain websites.

They do this by seeing what pages you are going to and comparing them against a list generated by the IWF.

This process is not meant to affect traffic going to "legit" sites - it's called a transparent proxy.

It doesn't always work.

If somebody screws up the coding it can stop your computer and the host server (Pnet) talking to eachother correctly - specifically exchanging and verification of certain tokens that identify your validity.

I'm dumbing it down because basically I don't fully understand; although a major geeky-type once explained it to me in some obscure variant of English.

Hopefully this isn't the case and what your expeiencing is just one of those minor hiccups that resolve itself and once again you'll be able to experience the full witchcraft that is the internet again.

More info about how our leaders are protecting us all from seeing what we shouldn't can be found over here.

Just to add a small bit of further paranoia....

Pnet is hosted on servers based in the US and as such under the terms of the Patriot act it's records can be accessed at any time without given reason by named US government agencies.

Only about 200 of them at the moment!

Oh and the UK census, don't panic about some nerdy 19yo hacking that.

Collected by a US company (McDonnal-Douglas if I remember) subject to the same patriot act.

Help. i have a technical problem and cant even send a PM to admin to alert them.

When i post a hashtag 20310 message comes up which says;

"Your secure key used to verify you are posting the topic did not match the one submitted" What does this mean please anybody and what do i have to do to get it sorted out? I am a technical idiot so it needs to be explained in basic plain terms. Thanks.

I got this for the first time in my life yesterday smiths. I was trying to post something from my iPad at the time. After a couple of abortive attempts, I closed the browser, reopened it, rewrote my post and it went up fine.

I'm guessing it's a forum bug. I am sure Galahad will be along later to confirm one way or another.

P.S. I also got a "you are not authorised to vote in this poll" message when I tried to (you guessed it) vote in a poll earlier today. Weird !!

Edited by Northwinds

I got this for the first time in my life yesterday smiths. I was trying to post something from my iPad at the time. After a couple of abortive attempts, I closed the browser, reopened it, rewrote my post and it went up fine.

I'm guessing it's a forum bug. I am sure Galahad will be along later to confirm one way or another.

I got this tonight and emailed admin

Reply: Try signing out of the forum completely, closing and restarting your browser, then signing back in. You may also need to clear your browser cache.

Regards,

G

I did this and cleared my cache.

No problems since.

Just got the error message replying here. Thanks for the feedback as it shows its not just me. Despite clearing my cache and closing my browser its happening about every other post and is sometimes logging me out.

It's happened to me again once today. Closing the browser did fix it for me.

Oddly, I am now having problems sending PMs. I'll check on another computer tonight, but it does seem as if the forum is behaving weirdly at the moment. You (smiths) mentioned that you also were having PM problems in your OP. Is that still manifesting ?

Edited by Northwinds

It's happened to me again once today. Closing the browser did fix it for me.

Oddly, I am now having problems sending PMs. I'll check on another computer tonight, but it does seem as if the forum is behaving weirdly at the moment. You (smiths) mentioned that you also were having PM problems in your OP. Is that still manifesting ?

With PMs the error message coming up was hash2012 saying "the link you followed appears to be badly formed"

Touch wood and without counting my chickens i havent had any problems in the last couple of hours. :)