tugg

Traffickin Raids In South East

15 posts in this topic

BBC London reported as below this evening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13893453

According to the voice over at least one of the girls was with a client when a raid took place. Doesn't appear to have been arrested. Wonder if he was let go or persuaded to accept a caution.

Quite a big affair. 13 sites, 150 officers, 10 counties. But only 9 arrests, 5 girls taken into 'care' so pickings slim considering these were targeted raids base, presumably, on some sort of intel. Didn't hear about any punters being arrested, but the raids were done early morning.

The whole thing has been presented as an anti-trafficking exercise, but we'll see in due course whether there is any evidence of coercive trafficking. I'm not holding my breath.

According to the voice over at least one of the girls was with a client when a raid took place. Doesn't appear to have been arrested. Wonder if he was let go or persuaded to accept a caution.

I'm assuming that he wasn't arrested. I would've thought that if he'd been arrested then it would have been mentioned in the report. He wouldn't have been offered a caution without an admission of guilt in a PACE compliant taped interview. I can't see that happening without his being arrested.

My guess would be that he was probably allowed to leave the brothel, possibly after giving name, address and dob.

I'm assuming that he wasn't arrested. I would've thought that if he'd been arrested then it would have been mentioned in the report. He wouldn't have been offered a caution without an admission of guilt in a PACE compliant taped interview. I can't see that happening without his being arrested.

My guess would be that he was probably allowed to leave the brothel, possibly after giving name, address and dob.

Quite a big affair. 13 sites, 150 officers, 10 counties. But only 9 arrests, 5 girls taken into 'care' so pickings slim considering these were targeted raids base, presumably, on some sort of intel. Didn't hear about any punters being arrested, but the raids were done early morning.

The whole thing has been presented as an anti-trafficking exercise, but we'll see in due course whether there is any evidence of coercive trafficking. I'm not holding my breath.

Personally I think it's good to see the police taking such decisive action. If these are victims of trafficking, then the full force of the law should be brought to bear against these slave traders, be they Chinese or Kosovo Albanian, or whatever else.

The only parlour I'm aware of in Sunbury, is (on Acemassage), and it's called "Asians 4U", and is specifically to provide Chinese or other Asian girls. I did visit the place briefly last year, but I didn't stay, because I felt that the place was exploitative. I even started a thread about it on here, please read it:

It wouldn't take much to persuade me that this was one of the raided premises.

Edited by Kayak

If these are victims of trafficking.

What definition of trafficking are you using? The UK definition - which does not involve any concept of coercion?

The only parlour I'm aware of in Sunbury, is (on Acemassage), and it's called "Asians 4U", and is specifically to provide Chinese or other Asian girls. I did visit the place briefly last year, but I didn't stay, because I felt that the place was exploitative. I even started a thread about it on here, please read it:

Sounds like it.

"A suspected brothel was raided in broad daylight in Sunbury Cross on Thursday, June 23 as part of one of the biggest sex trafficking raids in the UK.

A flat in Staines Road West was one of 13 addresses targeted around the south east of England in a swoop by the UK Border Agency."

http://www.surreyherald.co.uk/surrey-news/news-surrey/2011/06/24/brothel-raided-in-sunbury-cross-in-border-agency-crackdown-86289-28934732/

Sounds like it.

"A suspected brothel was raided in broad daylight in Sunbury Cross on Thursday, June 23 as part of one of the biggest sex trafficking raids in the UK.

A flat in Staines Road West was one of 13 addresses targeted around the south east of England in a swoop by the UK Border Agency."

http://www.surreyherald.co.uk/surrey-news/news-surrey/2011/06/24/brothel-raided-in-sunbury-cross-in-border-agency-crackdown-86289-28934732/

A map of the location from another site

~http://www.acemassage.net/asians4u/map.gif

picture on google earth

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=green+lane&ll=51.420299,-0.427383&spn=0.005058,0.016512&sll=51.420158,-0.425356&sspn=0.010451,0.033023&near=Staines+Rd+W,+Sunbury,+Middlesex+TW16,+UK&geocode=Cagl6And3OnzFf6bEAMddIL5_yntyJ3fh3R2SDHTGpNnAECZyg&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.420172,-0.427147&panoid=ilMT4viwsSKeLbvmwdL03A&cbp=12,333.03,,0,0

their posting on A-W

# 833905

Personally I think it's good to see the police taking such decisive action. If these are victims of trafficking, then the full force of the law should be brought to bear against these slave traders, be they Chinese or Kosovo Albanian, or whatever else.

We'll have to see who is cautioned or charged and prosecuted, and for what exactly. My irritation is that so many of these raids are described as anti-trafficking when so few actually are, such that the debate on the true extent of trafficking is seriously misinformed. Why do they do it? I think that from the police side it ups the profile, and from the media side it is more newsworthy to do so.

I did not see your original thread as I do not read the sensual massage board. But I think that if you had any doubts at all you should have contacted Crimestoppers, and posted your concerns to the main board. As it is we know that forums such as these, as well as the FR's of course, are useful and objective sources of intel for plod. It just may be that your original post put them onto this lot in the first place, and if they are coercively trafficking, then then lets hope they get put away for it.

Sounds like it.

"A Chinese man was arrested at the property at around 1.30pm, on suspicion of managing a brothel, and a woman believed to be a sex worker was found there with a man thought to be a client. " No second woman. Is this technically a brothel (assuming no different girls on other days)?

Edited by tugg

"A Chinese man was arrested at the property at around 1.30pm, on suspicion of managing a brothel, and a woman believed to be a sex worker was found there with a man thought to be a client. "

No second woman. Is this technically a brothel (assuming no different girls on other days)?

On the face of it no, but even the carousel system will constitute a brothel if the changes are frequent enough.

My irritation is that so many of these raids are described as anti-trafficking when so few actually are, such that the debate on the true extent of trafficking is seriously misinformed. Why do they do it? I think that from the police side it ups the profile, and from the media side it is more newsworthy to do so.

When I was no' but awfy wee, Nanny told me that if ever I was lost, I could always ask a Policeman. Then, probably, that was true - today? I doubt it!

Why?

Well, over-time hits Police budgets, so if Surrey says it fears that there may be trafficked women at the premises, they get UKBA heavies in, on someone else's budget! Plus, I think, that while a large majority of thinking people are see no reason to persecute WGs, whether they punt or not, a larger majority have a horror of (sex)(Domestic service)(Agricultural) slavery, so support anti-trafficking activity>

These sauna/massage places that I have been looking at on Google earth.

These are obviously knocking shops of which the Police are well aware, whereas flats and private residences are nowhere near as obvious and it would take some research (purple site, this site) to determine which addresses are 'brothels'.

So, I would conclude that the saunas might be less likely to be raided as they are likely to have cleaned up their act in terms of drink, drugs and trafficked ladies.

The more descrete flats might therefore be more of a target?

Discuss?

The raided Farnborough place has been operating for around 7 years at various premises. This weekend it has an

iron grate over the front door, evidence of the door being broken on Thursday morning. I can believe

that some of the girls that worked there were guilty of visa irregularities, but I would be surprised if

any coercion was involved.

The girls were typically working a week in 1 place, a week in another and some would say 'I'll be back

in 2 months'; they seemed happy enough. The report says 'A Chinese woman was arrested in a raid in

Farnborough on suspicion of being a brothel madam'. This woman (a shy 35 years old), is the 'maid' or

'kitchen girl' as they are sometimes referred to; they typically did 6 month stints. She is surely not

managing the place & I would be surprised if she were charged.

I can imagine the 2 girls being terrified when plod knocked down the front door early in the morning.

Why do they have to do this?

The use of the 'trafficking' word in reports is unhelpful without defining it first.

Around 3 years ago an Oriental place in Farnborough was closed down after complaints from neighbours;

that time it was done quietly, the report siting 'suspected immigration offences'.

So to summarise from my Farnborough viewpoint only, a very expensive and heavy handed approach to

immigration offences.

I can imagine the 2 girls being terrified when plod knocked down the front door early in the morning. Why do they have to do this

Good headlines - probably a meeting of the Police Authority coming up soon. Chief Constable wants something "good" to waffle about, rather than explaining the Milly Dowler mistakes!

The use of the 'trafficking' word in reports is unhelpful without defining it first.

Unhelpful to whom? The more undefined, the better, from their view-point.

Around 3 years ago an Oriental place in Farnborough was closed down after complaints from neighbours;

that time it was done quietly, the report siting 'suspected immigration offences'.

Probably a new "Skipper"!

So to summarise from my Farnborough viewpoint only, a very expensive and heavy handed approach to

immigration offences.

Expensive for whom? Not, IMHO, for the Police, and that is all that matters (to them).