cumandgo

Getting A New Ip Address

8 posts in this topic

I am a simpleton when it comes to techie issues.

When I access a private forum like this, I tend to use my laptop and not the computer at my work place. However, I believe that currently my laptop gives off the same IP address as the work computer system and I am not happy with this.

Can anyone please advise me, in very simple terms, can I do something or subscribe to something or service where the IP address will be completely different to my home and work computer systems. There is nothing sinister here, I just want things to be separate.

thanks

I am a simpleton when it comes to techie issues.

When I access a private forum like this, I tend to use my laptop and not the computer at my work place. However, I believe that currently my laptop gives off the same IP address as the work computer system and I am not happy with this.

Can anyone please advise me, in very simple terms, can I do something or subscribe to something or service where the IP address will be completely different to my home and work computer systems. There is nothing sinister here, I just want things to be separate.

thanks

The IP address has to be different at work and home. It is not the laptop itself that "gives off" an IP address, rather it is the Router that directly connects to the Internet (eg your BT HomeHub or similar) , which in turn usually allocates generic IP addresses (eg 10.0.1.x or 192,168.0.x) to computers on the network.

The IP address has to be different at work and home. It is not the laptop itself that "gives off" an IP address, rather it is the Router that directly connects to the Internet (eg your BT HomeHub or similar) , which in turn usually allocates generic IP addresses (eg 10.0.1.x or 192,168.0.x) to computers on the network.

Thanks Vin

1. does this mean I when I am using my laptop that I cannot have it showing an IP address different to the home or office IP address ?

2. If the answer is yes to the above --- how can I change say the home IP address ?

1. does this mean I when I am using my laptop that I cannot have it showing an IP address different to the home or office IP address ?

I believe that there are ways to "spoof" IP addresses but they are beyond my technical knowledge - perhaps someone else can weigh in?

2. If the answer is yes to the above --- how can I change say the home IP address ?

Most home internet connections will use a "dynamic" IP address - i.e. one that is randomly assigned to your Router by your ISP, and changes roughly every 24 hours. So, the IP address that you use today could be the one that I have next week.

Businesses that want employees to be able to remotely log in to their systems pay extra to their ISP to have a fixed IP address, i.e. they "own" it and it doesn't change from day to day.

To appear to be accessing a site from a different IP you'll need to either use a proxy or a VPN (virtual private network).

Can't really explain how to use them, I'm not too good at converting tech to english.

I would suggest asking Mr Google about this.

Basically they do pretty much the same thing in slightly different ways.

You are A, you're going to B, using the above essentially you travel A to C to B.

Anybody looking at your traffic history would see that you visited C and not B (however any cookies etc. that B puts on your computer and your cache or history will still give you away)

To the site B it will look as if you are visiting from C and not your home or office.

If you have a dynamic IP you can change it by rebooting the router.

Beware, I recently read (not sure if it was here or elsewhere) somebody saying I want a dynamic IP so that I can't be traced.

Major fail.

Just because your IP is changing doesn't make it any more difficult to identify you.

Your ISP will know and have records of which customer was allocated to which IP at all times.

Hope that helps a bit and doesn't make things even more mysterious.

The bit in bold is very unlikely (unless perhaps you are plugging your home laptop into your work network, which most work networks would disallow).

Visit http://www.whatismyip.com/ on each machine and see if the reported ip addresses differ. Come back and let us know the result.

The bit in bold is very unlikely (unless perhaps you are plugging your home laptop into your work network, which most work networks would disallow).

Unless it is a work laptop that tunnels to the office via a VPN and any Internet accesses the net via that route.

Visit http://www.whatismyip.com/ on each machine and see if the reported ip addresses differ. Come back and let us know the result.

This is the key, do it with each computer and the laptop in all locations.

Your home router will probably change it's IP each time it is booted up.

If it is your laptop a nice little trick.

Load a two Internet Browsers, e.g. Chrome and Firefox.

Use one for all normal traffic, e.g. Chrome.

Set the second browser (e.g. Firefox) to use an anonymous proxy service.

Use only the second browser for your 'suspect' traffic.