Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrPunt

Punting Without A Car?

46 posts in this topic

Do you think you can still punt without having your own transport?

Running your own vehicle is very expensive these day's, with the rising price of petrol, tax, MOT, insurance and not to mention the general maintenance of the car itself.

I know how wonderfully convenient it is to have your own car to get you about whenever you want, however do you think you can punt without a car?

Yes it is more effort to rely on public transport to get you to a punt which usually means more time on public transport, planning and not having the luxury of being in your own domain i.e your car.

The pro's and cons are without a car, you ultimately save a lot of money and using public transport can also be expensive but you don't have to maintain or look after it.

What are your thoughts?

I do drive but I've never driven to an appointment simply because I live in London and most places have decent enough transport links. I can't really be bothered to search for parking and be at the mercy of traffic in the capital.

Also, for those that care, leaving your car parked outside/ near a WGs house might raise questions if someone like the OH, friends, family etc see it.

Do you think you can still punt without having your own transport?

Running your own vehicle is very expensive these day's, with the rising price of petrol, tax, MOT, insurance and not to mention the general maintenance of the car itself.

I know how wonderfully convenient it is to have your own car to get you about whenever you want, however do you think you can punt without a car?

Yes it is more effort to rely on public transport to get you to a punt which usually means more time on public transport, planning and not having the luxury of being in your own domain i.e your car.

The pro's and cons are without a car, you ultimately save a lot of money and using public transport can also be expensive but you don't have to maintain or look after it.

What are your thoughts?

I virtually never punt without using my car to get me there be it central London or not. A cab has been the option on the very rare ocassion or it was within walking distance which the now gone Trine was. I used the tube once, i didnt like it.

I do also like getting back in the car putting the air-con on along with a CD and driving to a fast food shop and stuffing my face. If i didnt have a car i would still punt but fortunately even when i was 19 and first punted i had a car plus the parking was easier in those days. :)

I virtually never punt without using my car to get me there be it central London or not. A cab has been the option on the very rare ocassion or it was within walking distance which the now gone Trine was. I used the tube once, i didnt like it.

I do also like getting back in the car putting the air-con on along with a CD and driving to a fast food shop and stuffing my face. If i didnt have a car i would still punt but fortunately even when i was 19 and first punted i had a car plus the parking was easier in those days. :)

There are at least two working ladies in my apartment block!

Plenty more within walking distance to go with them.

So yes.

I do not drive. That does limit my choices a little but I have never felt it a great restriction.

Edited by DanLeno

I've never driven, and it hasn't caused me a problem. I've found that even little villages in Yorkshire or Suffolk are on bus routes if you're keen enough to get there.

I haven't used a car in the Uk for years. I can only recall one punt I had to reluctantly abandon for that reason.

Quite often my best windows of opportunity for punting are when I don't have access to a car, other means of transport are required. Luckily, most girls in Aberdeen get places just off Union Street, or at least not more than a ten minute walk from it, so normally only one bus is required. Also, when I lived in Glasgow, I lived right in the city centre, so most girls were either within walking distance or easy enough to get to with the train, bus or underground.

It really isn't convenient, though. Jump in your car and you can be there in ten to fifteen minutes and just park in a nearby street. Any bus journey into Aberdeen city centre generally requires you give 20 minutes for the journey, and make sure you are at the bus stop ten minutes early. Add on the time it takes to walk there, and basically you are looking at a one hour punt taking the best part of three hours out of your day to get there and back. Not only that, but any thoughts of getting right into it when you arrive go out the window, as you're guaranteed to need at least a quick shower, and then you sit on the bus all self-conscious, wondering if people can smell that you've just been having sex. It can increase your chances of bumping into someone you know as well, which has happened to me twice, although both times were on the walk from the bus to the lady's flat.

A good example of what can happen if you use public transport for a far away punt: when I lived in Glasgow I once went to Edinburgh to see a lovely Polish girl called Maria for an evening punt. I meant to take my car, but I had put it in for a service that day, and they decided they needed to keep it an extra day - typical of my luck. So I got the train to Edinburgh, which took longer than driving there would have taken, and which was jam-packed with commuters, meaning I spent half the journey standing. ScotRail trains are generally awful anyway, though. Once I arrived at Waverley Station, I then had a 20 minute walk to her flat, and that's flat-out walking, so when I arrived I was dripping with sweat. Anyway, it was a great punt, and we got on so well that after the main deed Maria kept pouring wine and we just sat talking for ages. When I left, I suddenly realised I was going to miss my train, so I ran there, but to no avail. I then tried the bus station, which I thought had late buses, but the bus station was shut too. So I was contemplating getting a taxi back to Glasgow, but ended up getting a room in a Premier Inn instead. I then had to get up super early the next day to get to the train station and get back to Glasgow, have a shower and go to work. All in all, a lot of needless stress that would have been avoided if I'd had my car, as I spent about half an hour pacing around Princes Street trying to decide what to do. Not to mention the £70 I had to shell out for the pleasure of having a hotel room for a mere 6 hours. I had contemplated asking Maria if I could sleep at hers overnight, and I wish I had - the worst she could have said is "no"...

All in all, public transport punting is very possible - it's just a pain in the arse usually, and adds extra stresses to the punt.

I used to push bike to my punts only problem with that is if it is a million miles away you end up hot and sweaty

I'd be tempted to say: that limitation only exists in the mind.

Perfectly possible to punt on Public Transport.

Or "outcall to hotel"

Plenty of quality hotels in walking distance of train/tube stations

Park Plaza and Radisson in Leeds come to mind. Memories!

Hyatt and Crowne Plaza in Brum.

Marriott in Cardiff.

And just about all of central London.

Enjoy!

bugger all buses where i live and fair trek to the train station. so whereever i go i have to get the car out.

once you have the car out there is little incentive to use public transport.

so its the car im afraid. only time i have done public transport was hen i met a girl touring in london so i drove to hounslow and got the tube in.

if i lived in a city praps it would be different.

I do not drive so depend on public transport or taxis to get me places.

I live outside London but work in the centre which enables me to visit a number of places at lunchtime and if I take the afternoon off, there are many places I can get to in outer London, Surrey, Herts etc. It needs a bit more planning, but that's part of the fun.

And I've taken the odd full day off to punt further afield.

Yes, I do get there sweaty sometimes, but there are generally shower facilities, so not a problem.

And I have never been more than a couple of minutes late in 8 years.

.I do also like getting back in the car putting the air-con on along with a CD and driving to a fast food shop and stuffing my face.

Pretty much what i've been doing after every punt! Need to start getting into energetic sex because of those pit stops at Burger King or KFC.

Despite london having great transport links, getting to an unknown place for the first time can still be nightmare. Having a car you can sit and relax/amuse yourself a couple of roads away if you've turned up way early to see a new girl and it is pissing down with rain. Like last week. And in general without the rain. :huh:

Also I don't want to freak out commuters since I've been wearing the biggest smile from my recent punts, must look like i'm high on something...which is kinda true :)

Edited by Antec81

Pretty much what i've been doing after every punt! Need to start getting into energetic sex because of those pit stops at Burger King or KFC.

Despite london having great transport links, getting to an unknown place for the first time can still be nightmare. Having a car you can sit and relax/amuse yourself a couple of roads away if you've turned up way early to see a new girl and it is pissing down with rain. Like last week. And in general without the rain. :huh:

Also I don't want to freak out commuters since I've been wearing the biggest smile from my recent punts, must look like i'm high on something...which is kinda true :)

My ideal is to get to the area early and sit in my car a distance away and chill out before the punt. This did lead to my punt that nearly wasnt where this chilling out resulted in my car battery draining so the car wouldnt start so in the end i flagged another driver down giving him £20 to drive me to the WGs premises which resulted in a great punt and me punting with her 2-3 times a week for a few months afterwards. :)

bugger all buses where i live and fair trek to the train station. so whereever i go i have to get the car out.

once you have the car out there is little incentive to use public transport.

so its the car im afraid. only time i have done public transport was hen i met a girl touring in london so i drove to hounslow and got the tube in.

if i lived in a city praps it would be different.

I am not afraid its the car, i am happy its the car, being a lazy bastard it suits me down to the ground. :)

i've never owned a car and it hasn't stopped me punting at all. INfact, i'd argue it's easier to punt without one. Parking is hell. Walk in, walk out. good day

Depends where you live I suppose. For example, if you live within the M25 area, a car is just a burden for punting, I cannot remember using it once in the last couple of years. OK, you have to plan a bit more, and the journey may (or may not) take a little longer, but you don't have the problems with parking and congestion charges etc, and if you work in the London area you may already have a rail ticket anyway, so it will not cost you anything to travel to your booking.

Even if you venture to the darkest north (Milton Keynes), the trains from London are cheap, fast and frequent - and sometimes even reliable.

Apologies if this sounds like an advert for public transport - Brother Crowe would be proud of me!

Living in a rural village it's the car for me! Need it to get to work, shop, everything - including punting!

Like many have said above, if I lived in town very close to bus stops or train stations I might take public transport - if I wanted to take public transport to get to my workplace, for example, it would take me about 2 and a half hours and a number of swaps to do what I can do in 35-40 minutes in a car - that's too much time I'm afraid for a one-way public transport journey!

Edit: spelling, bloody iPhone predictive text!

Edited by DancinDannyD

To decide whether to use a car or public transport depends on where the WG is located. If the WG is located in a large town or city and is close to train or bus stations and the public transport is regular, then public transport would be the best choice. The main advantage of using public transport is that you don't have the hassle of having to find somewhere to park and it may sometimes be difficult to find somewhere to park. If a WG is located in a rural location away from bus and train stops and public transport is irregular then a car would obviously be the best choice.

It's even worse for us girls.

I don't drive and am very limited now how far I can travel for outcalls as I have to rely on public transport.

It's a nightmare.

It's even worse for us girls.

I don't drive and am very limited now how far I can travel for outcalls as I have to rely on public transport.

It's a nightmare.

Exactly , im learning to drive so hopefully i will be able to do outcalls .. finally :D

one advantage of public transport is not getting a parking/speeding ticket on the way to the punt resulting in questions of what were you doing there...

To decide whether to use a car or public transport depends on where the WG is located. If the WG is located in a large town or city and is close to train or bus stations and the public transport is regular, then public transport would be the best choice. The main advantage of using public transport is that you don't have the hassle of having to find somewhere to park and it may sometimes be difficult to find somewhere to park. If a WG is located in a rural location away from bus and train stops and public transport is irregular then a car would obviously be the best choice.

The best choice in your opinion, not mine, i rarely have problems finding parking in London because i have either checked it out before, online before the punt or as i aim to get to the area early, when i get their, it really isnt difficult and to me is mostly hassle free and far easier than using public transport.

I used to push bike to my punts only problem with that is if it is a million miles away you end up hot and sweaty

I find that after a good bike ride, about 30 miles, apart from being sweaty I also feel very horny.... must be the endorfins released during exercise???

A good shower should be sufficient to freshen you ... maybe a good idea to pre-warn the lady you'll be arriving in your lycras!!

Edited by pythagoras

I know central london can be a different with the CC charge and parking costs, but generally parking is not a problem if you research a little. Most WG seem to give you a road name on your first appointment, so just have a look on the local authority webby and you can see the roads and the parking zones.

My punts around clapham/central croydon have all been made FAR easier, instead of turning up and driving round mad one-way systems to find parking. Parked for free near clapham common and instead of paying £4-ish for an hour walked 2 mins and paid £1 on residential road by east croydon.