Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
met012

Police...

8 posts in this topic

In the distant past when the fool of the Home Secretary was David Blunkett, suggestions of Tolerance zones and the decriminalisation of a place with more than 1 women. Police were if I remember keen on the idea.(even politicians:eek:)

I remember talking to some brothel owners who had very positive comments about the police and how they use to pop in for a coffee/tea. Make sure everything was okay.

Fast forward a few years and another fool of Home Secretary Jacqui Smith(gone). Now the police are all for criminalise clients(probably don't want to go after gun totting Snakehead or EE gangs who are trigger happy) in the name of trafficking.

Any area with a senior female chief and all the brothels are generally closed down. Any street wg killed the same. Money laundering legislation used for this purpose instead of stopping 'Muslim' terrorism.

And why the change of tune from the force. Are they now nothing more than an arm of the tax office.

Are the police instead of the solution now part of the problem?

And why the change of tune from the force

I would hazard a guess that career-minded police officers see which way the wind is blowing and cut their cloth accordingly (excuse the mixed metaphor).

I would hazard a guess that career-minded police officers see which way the wind is blowing and cut their cloth accordingly (excuse the mixed metaphor).

Yet this is the management in Police who have all of sudden said, "Lets criminalise clients. Sounds like a fine and dandy idea. Lets pander to the neighbourhood and shut down illegal brothels. Lets confiscate the proceeds and use the Money Laundering Act."

Than these career minded officers are part of the problem.

To an extent yes.

The days of Chiefs running fiefdoms as they see fit are ending. They are much more accountable these days, but the corollary is that they become much more 'political'. They will have had to have been to get to the top of the greasy pole in the first place.

Very few will have the moral strength to take a view that is widely divergent from that of their political overseers. Of course they have to enforce enacted law, but they can influence the process in terms of resource deployment, justifying their positions in terms of successful prosecutions or lack thereof.

As for female chiefs they may well have the knee-jerk dislike of prostitution that senior female politicos have.

As noted in another thread current policing is mostly commonsensical, ensuring no illegals, no class A drugs, throwing the book at traffickers when they do occasionally come across them, moving establishments on if the neighbours are complaining and the bothel doesn't/can't resolve the problems.

Problem for brothels is that a discreet address limits risk of neighbour-grief and having to be moved on, but lays them more open to opportunistic theft of cash.

I should have added that they have an influence on the design of laws because they are sounded out beforehand on matters such as the practical enforcibility of proposed legislation.

Have to say that I am sorry that more didn't come out against the proposed law changes in this industry. Generally they seemed to approve them but this may be because of the extension of powers it will give them, rather than because they especially plan to exercise those powers.

Some forces could find it becoming a rod for their own back if they have a female-dominated police authority which insists on regular crack-downs, tying up resources needed for real policing.

and the decriminalisation of a place with more than 1 women.

I think that the dropping of the proposed legislation concerning a classification of brothels (less than 4 prostitutes = legal, more than 3 prostitutes = illegal, for example) was in some ways a fairly sensible move because it could have been a nightmare to control/police, you can guarantee that every brothel owner in this green and pleasant land would have been furiously investigating every nook and cranny in order to find ways of retaining their same amount of business but making it legal, and that would have increased the complexity of investigations, and all that that implies. As we post there will be many who are dissatisfied with the current legislation regarding brothels, but it does have the benefit of being simple and relatively straightforward leaving both sides in no doubt as to where they stand.

Another way of looking at this is not at the top of the Police , but at the bottom.

With the development of 'neighbourhood ' policing all that needs to trigger action by a local policing team is a couple of complaints from locals who live near the Parlour/brothel.

Neighbourhood Policing now means Police run round at the whim of a relatively vocal but small group of people who can be arsed to turn up at community forums and shout the most.

To an extent yes.

The days of Chiefs running fiefdoms as they see fit are ending. They are much more accountable these days, but the corollary is that they become much more 'political'. They will have had to have been to get to the top of the greasy pole in the first place.

I really do not see any sign of "accountability". The Police Authorities have no say over operational matters, just finance. Once the money has been provided the Chief Constable can allocate it as he wishes.

The stroke of ACPO is growing but their is no real political control.

I suspect that the real motor behind the police concentration on prostitution is money. It's a cash business; they can raid a premise or a house, having pre-warned a friendly journo, find a couple of scantily clad women and an embarassed punter, and be sure there will at least be enough cash to make a profit on the day and if lucky get enough info to lead them to the safe deposit box.