Billionaire

When did condoms start to be used all the time?

37 posts in this topic

I have only been paying for sex since the 90's and its always been a rubber raincoat in this time period. I know bareback sex has always been available if you wanted it and know the right people. But I am wondering when did condom use become the norm instead of the exception?

I have only been paying for sex since the 90's and its always been a rubber raincoat in this time period. I know bareback sex has always been available if you wanted it and know the right people. But I am wondering when did condom use become the norm instead of the exception?

as jon bon jovi would say ... ''ALWAYS'':cool:

It became the norm when people started dying of Aids.

It became the norm when GUM clinics were inundated with STD's.

It became the norm when the NHS have been spending a lot of money for treating blood borne viruses.

People forget over time and things have become complacent as their is presently a lack of media interest and STD's HIV or Aids awareness have received less funding towards awareness raising, education, training and support etc etc.I'd say in the 1980's there was a shift in attitude there began to be more national campaigns. There became more education in schools. It was recognised people were dying and prevention was viewed as being the cure so condom use was encouraged.

Some people choose to take unnecessary risks and remain ignorant and we are in 2009.

as jon bon jovi would say ... ''ALWAYS'':cool:

I thought that was Aerosmith?

not in the 70's it wasnt. It was considered the girls responsibility to be on the pill.

it all changed with the govt campaign on aids. in late 70's

dunno if wg's used em before that or of BB was the rule.

still pleanty of Gonhorrea and syphallis then but WTF, there is antibiotics.

Was standard in the UK in the late 70s and early 80s-- the first period when I punted..... but not in France.

not in the 70's it wasnt. It was considered the girls responsibility to be on the pill.

it all changed with the govt campaign on aids. in late 70's

dunno if wg's used em before that or of BB was the rule.

still pleanty of Gonhorrea and syphallis then but WTF, there is antibiotics.

Some civilian ladies used to say you dont have to use a jonny as long as you pull out in time as i recall from the late 70s. It was up to the lady to have taken precautions in those days as you say. I started punting just post AIDS which i think was early 80s not late 70s Kinky, so always used a durex as it was referred to, changing to the word condom later on if i remember rightly.

To be honest i do recall some WGs insisting on johns as we were known in my area putting 2 condoms on when AIDS first became mainstream. Obviously didnt get as much sensation and along with no kissing let alone DFK, it was a world away from today.:(

Condoms have been used by WGs since way back. It was not AIDS that resulted in WGs using them but the claps (various).

Bareback was never the norm.

......... always used a durex as it was referred to, changing to the word condom later on if i remember rightly

True, as I recall, Durex was the common term in the 70s, but is a trade name. When the govt started its information campaign on AIDs/HIV in the 80s they couldn't use the name of one manufacturer's product and so resurrected 'condom', a rather old term.

The start to my punting career was in Soho walk-ups in about '85. Back then, it tended to be '10 pounds with, 15 without' (or 15/20, I can't remember).

Gladly, I was sober enough to choose with.

AIDS came to the fore around 1987.

A few years earlier than that, about 25 years ago. It would be interesting to review the projections of its spread, both on a regional and country-by-country basis, at that time and compare them with current data and current projections for the next quarter century.

A few years earlier than that, about 25 years ago. It would be interesting to review the projections of its spread, both on a regional and country-by-country basis, at that time and compare them with current data and current projections for the next quarter century.

First government campaign was in 1986 i believe but i first heard of AIDS through the marvellous Terrence Higgins Trust when it started in 1982.

First government campaign was in 1986 i believe but i first heard of AIDS through the marvellous Terrence Higgins Trust when it started in 1982.
I remember having my first VD check-up ever in 1984, at an out-patient hospital clinic in Bangkok. I was absolutely petrified while waiting for the (negative) results!:(

I agree that condoms became almost universal with arrival of AIDS. In 1960s & 70s they were nevertheless in common use except by the French girls in Soho and Shepherds Market who would sit you over a bidet, inspect you, wash you (in some cases with diluted Dettol) and then let you proceed as nature intended. Happy, carefree days!

when i first started using the walk ups in jan 2007 i asked one of the girls do i wear one and she said yes so i was relieved as i was going to pop my cherry.

I fucked quite a few girls in Soho without a condom in the 80s.

It all changed in '86 however, and I've used them ever since.

Pity really. It's so much better without one.

What's more remarkable is that condoms didn't become 'mandatory' much earlier. Penicillin only came in the mid-1940s; prior to that therapy for gonorrhoea and syphilis was unpleasant and unreliable. Syphilis was an incredibly unpleasant disease, slowing killing about 30% of those who caught it.

Yet cheap mass-produced condoms had been available from the 20s, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condom, with reusable ones available long before that. The understanding that condoms could prevent infection had existed from the 1500s and Boswell describes using them in the 18th Century, with an inference that the girl sometimes (if unreliably) provided this 'armour' - http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WIUOAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=boswell+thus+armoured&source=bl&ots=bDhl4aqv_b&sig=DvaoXIHyWrU0LWZLwQdCte4tXA0&hl=en&ei=jpGbSvWXNM7RjAf7xuC8Bg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8#v=onepage&q=&f=false

There seems to have been a wilful determination on the part of churches and governments in the US and UK to prevent dissemination of information on condoms as prevention for STIs, as encouraging lewdness. Some took the view that STIs were God's judgement for promiscuity and some doctors maybe thought they'd lose a source of income if infections were prevented. But none of this explains why condoms weren't encouraged in brothels in those countries -e.g. France- where these were licensed and regulated.

evidently a century ago 10% of population had syphallis (See Martin Freemans Who do you think you are). so i suppose condons were not used much then

I can just imagine what it was like in the old centries when they were made out of animal skins the condom shop in Amsterdam has the history about the condom i found that in a travel book.I dont mind wearing condoms its more sexy when the wg puts it on.

AIDS came to the fore around 1987.

I thought it got the the rear first. :):D

Punting in London in the early to mid-1970s there was a mixed picture. With the Brit girls, condom usage seemed automatic. At that time, however, there were quote a few French and other South European girls around and the drill with them was very much different. After money had changed hands, you would undress and the girl would take you to the bathroom. First off, she would examine your equipment for any obvious signs of disease. If you passed this first hurdle she would then wash your meat and two veg with soap and water in either the bidet, if it was a posh flat or the wash basin if it was less well appointed.

Battle would then be joined, without condom and at the end of the process, there would be a further round of washing. The worst aspect of this was if the lady was an unskilled washer and she got the soap in your jap's eye. You would be stinging for the rest of the day.

WW

evidently a century ago 10% of population had syphallis (See Martin Freemans Who do you think you are). so i suppose condons were not used much then

It cut a terrible swathe---Wikipedia lists the following as famous victims--- though some, like Hilter & Henry VIII strike me as pretty speculative

Keys: S

Byron can be added to that list also, as a famous sufferer at least, although it didn't actually kill him. Not that surprising that he should suffer from several std's tbh given his promiscuity.