Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pinkshirt

Letting A Room Legit Or Not?

5 posts in this topic

Occassionally I've come across WGs looking for a room or flat to either work from or work and live from.

And as I'm soon to let somewhere out I'm curious (probably for curiosities sake) would a landlord who knowingly lets a space for prostitution be breaking the law?

From my limited understanding living on the earnings of prostitution is no longer illegal but control of prostitution for gain is.

So if you were to receive rent, particularly if that was even slightly above market rates to compensate for any perceived higher risk, which was to your knowledge paid for by prostitution would that be deemed control for gain?

Would it make a difference if the premises was used bybthw WG solely for work or also a residence?

The circumstances described by you wouldn't be controlling for gain because of the lack of "control".

Possible offences would be:

Section 34 SOA 1956, a landlord letting premises for use as a brothel;

Section 35, a tenant permitting premises to be used as a brothel.

Section 36, a tenant permitting premises to be used for prostitution

If the room was only used by no more than one girl then it can't be a brothel and so sections 34 or 35 can't apply.

Section 36 can only apply if you are a tenant.

So if you own the freehold (and are not therefore a tenant) and let to only one girl then there is no criminal offence.

You may though be in breach of any mortgage terms.

Why dont you get your weekly 1 hour session for free with the WG :)

The circumstances described by you wouldn't be controlling for gain because of the lack of "control".

Possible offences would be:

Section 34 SOA 1956, a landlord letting premises for use as a brothel;

Section 35, a tenant permitting premises to be used as a brothel.

Section 36, a tenant permitting premises to be used for prostitution

If the room was only used by no more than one girl then it can't be a brothel and so sections 34 or 35 can't apply.

Section 36 can only apply if you are a tenant.

So if you own the freehold (and are not therefore a tenant) and let to only one girl then there is no criminal offence.

You may though be in breach of any mortgage terms.

Thats so long as she never ever lets a wg friend use the space when she is out or away. Once she does this then it becomes a brothel by default as more than one wg have used it as a place of work in agreement with each other....especially if her friend pays for the privilage.x

There isn't a huge difference between control for gain and living off.... in my opinion anyway.

I have occasionally been asked if my second bedroom can be rented out to another girl... I always say no.

Aside from the legality of it all I think my discretion and safety ( and that of my precious possessions )

would be put at risk.

I could half my monthly bills if I allowed another lady to share or part share.... but the answer is still no.

Many people get away with it but there is always a risk that neighbours or others could cotton on and complain.

Even just letting a girlfriend use the room without taking any payment is very risky and not strictly legal either.