Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Helen Jones

Official: A Wg's Life Is Worth 50% Less.

13 posts in this topic

Browsing over the internet checking keywords etc I came across an interview of the Mother of a young WG who was murdered by a deranged client in Liverpool some years ago (2003 I think).

Very sad and the interview was of course bias against prostitution but that is the norm and only to be expected.

What really chilled me to the bone and made me sit up in horror and disgust is the official view of any Woman who becomes a prostitute - which as we all know is perfectly legal in the U.K.

The Crinimal injuries compensation board however believe the life of a woman who is given cash in exchange for sex is worth half of that of a non prostitute....

Not only did Hanan Mum have to face every parents nightmare, but she was then told by the state that her daughter was considered to be worth less because she had accepted cash for sex. Presumably the male offering the cash is not treated similarly and should he be murdered by a lunatic his family would receive their moneys worth of 100%

This is the passage in the article.

" she discovered that she was only going to receive half of what other parents would receive if their daughter had been murdered - because Hanane was a prostitute her life was valued at around 50% of a non-prostitute.

In an internal memo on the subject, a Home Office official wrote: "I do know that the rules of the scheme require CICA to consider making a reduction to the award on the basis of the character of the victim. Criminal convictions can be taken into account in this process. I can understand entirely that this can appear insulting and to have no regard for Hanane and other young women involved in prostitution."

Hanane had become a prostitute to feed her drug addiction. Her mother said she was proud that her daughter had not chosen theft instead.

And people get up in arms over Sharia law !!!!!!!. We have our own similar system right here under our noses practiced and dispensed by faceless unelected (middle aged male?) officials.

You can read the whole article here http://tinyurl.com/3rd626c

http://tinyurl.com/3rd626c

I wonder how much compensation the family of a banker or an accountant would get? Someone whose actions could well have led to several deaths through suicide, break up of families, homelessness etc.?

I wonder how much compensation the family of a banker or an accountant would get? Someone whose actions could well have led to several deaths through suicide, break up of families, homelessness etc.?

CICC's price list has some pretty low ceilings, so I rather doubt that bankers etc., would get too much, but, of course, I'm sure they would carry pretty hefty life insurance (and assurance) cover, so no need for the widows to worry about the school fees....

Reverting to Helen's initial point, I attended a criminal trial a while ago, in another country, where the "victim" had been a pimp. The court assessed his capital value, not very generously, and then opined that "that sort of man" would not have looked after his widowed mother and (rather attractive) sister to any great extent, so reduced the compensation to 10% of the deceased's value....

ah, well...

Edited by Irgendeiner

As a matter for discussion only, but still my opinion, I would say that the girl was not a WG. She was a heroin addict and sold her body on the street to pay for sex. She would have preferred not to do this, so she was not a sex worker in the same way as I am.

Perhaps they decided that in being on the street she put her own life at risk, and therefore devalued herself?

I never ever think of those girls as sex workers, I simply think they are trapped in their addiction and sex work is an end to a means. I feel sorry for her family, but at the same time I also feel sad that money (lowest common denominator) marks out what we think of individuals in a supposedly forward thinking society.

I also think it is not her fault she was on the street, and that there should have been more help for her before she got into that state of having to sell her precious body, but that's just me.

Sobering stuff. Thanks for posting it Helen.

Browsing over the internet checking keywords etc I came across an interview of the Mother of a young WG who was murdered by a deranged client in Liverpool some years ago (2003 I think).

Very sad and the interview was of course bias against prostitution but that is the norm and only to be expected.

What really chilled me to the bone and made me sit up in horror and disgust is the official view of any Woman who becomes a prostitute - which as we all know is perfectly legal in the U.K.

The Crinimal injuries compensation board however believe the life of a woman who is given cash in exchange for sex is worth half of that of a non prostitute....

Not only did Hanan Mum have to face every parents nightmare, but she was then told by the state that her daughter was considered to be worth less because she had accepted cash for sex. Presumably the male offering the cash is not treated similarly and should he be murdered by a lunatic his family would receive their moneys worth of 100%

This is the passage in the article.

" she discovered that she was only going to receive half of what other parents would receive if their daughter had been murdered - because Hanane was a prostitute her life was valued at around 50% of a non-prostitute.

In an internal memo on the subject, a Home Office official wrote: "I do know that the rules of the scheme require CICA to consider making a reduction to the award on the basis of the character of the victim. Criminal convictions can be taken into account in this process. I can understand entirely that this can appear insulting and to have no regard for Hanane and other young women involved in prostitution."

Hanane had become a prostitute to feed her drug addiction. Her mother said she was proud that her daughter had not chosen theft instead.

And people get up in arms over Sharia law !!!!!!!. We have our own similar system right here under our noses practiced and dispensed by faceless unelected (middle aged male?) officials.

You can read the whole article here http://tinyurl.com/3rd626c

http://tinyurl.com/3rd626c

Outrageous. Talk about kicking someone when they are down, this will have added to the mothers anguish.

"could well have led" - and here was me thinking that this board actually had people who could think for themselves. Lets get some guns and start shooting journalists!!!

I'm sorry Helen for going off topic on what I agree is a very worthwhile thread.

Shock, horror, anger, despair, I don't have the eloquence to put my feelings into words while reading that.

I want to do something but the only thing I can think to do is try and tell the world that this is just wrong, it did occur to me that we could start one of the new e-petitions mentioned in other thread, "Prostitutes are People" I know it's really inadequate response but what else... it makes me feel lost and hopeless.

This story makes me sick to my core. WG's regardless of where they have come from in life or where they wish to go are still human beings and deserve to be treated with the same care and respect as other humans beings in my opinion.

This story makes me sick to my core. WG's regardless of where they have come from in life or where they wish to go are still human beings and deserve to be treated with the same care and respect as other humans beings in my opinion.

One of my ladies was raped anally and went to the Police. I have posted this before; they took it very seriously, she offers anal, but said no this time and investigated and made the arrests. They didn;t treat her any different to any other person. Eventually they advised that they would not pursue it as it would be her word agains this.

I can try and find the e-mails if anyone is interested in her story.

And i'd suspect that in the eyes of the Government, the life of a British soldier is worth considerably less than 50%

This is really awful, but really pleased you posted it Helen. A human life should surely be worth the same, would the same principle apply I wonder to someone who died of an obesity related disorder? (One could say putting themself at risk as a drug addicted street walker, albeit in a different manner?)

As a matter for discussion only, but still my opinion, I would say that the girl was not a WG. She was a heroin addict and sold her body on the street to pay for sex. She would have preferred not to do this, so she was not a sex worker in the same way as I am.

Perhaps they decided that in being on the street she put her own life at risk, and therefore devalued herself?

I never ever think of those girls as sex workers, I simply think they are trapped in their addiction and sex work is an end to a means. I feel sorry for her family, but at the same time I also feel sad that money (lowest common denominator) marks out what we think of individuals in a supposedly forward thinking society.

I also think it is not her fault she was on the street, and that there should have been more help for her before she got into that state of having to sell her precious body, but that's just me.

I am sure everyone will have different views on this, but I couldnt agree with you more Sarah. I know there is a vast difference to this type of 'sex work' to choosing it as a valid career path, as I would imagine most of the WG's on here have. If Sarah or I were to meet an untimely end through a client, I wonder if our different way of working to Hanane's would make any difference at all to our payouts?

This is really awful, but really pleased you posted it Helen. A human life should surely be worth the same, would the same principle apply I wonder to someone who died of an obesity related disorder?

I agree about what about if someone died due to an obesity related disorder, the same could be said for smokers, people who get their thrills doing dangerous sport etc.

Surely compensation should be fixed in a perfect world, since it is not we can draw our own conclusions. It is hard enough to loose a daughter but to have to go through that sort of character assassination as well is not part of the caring society we may think we are part of. I am tempted to think that the judge was basing his comments on Hanane's profession but using her addiction to work out the deduction.

I know a working girl who uses the money to put her two children through private school. The same judge would have to come up with a different story if compensation was to be paid out on her, heaven forbid.