JKay

Fcuked Up My New Pc

22 posts in this topic

Bollox.

Just had to fiddle with it, was thinking about upgrading the graphics card so I took it out to make a note of serial numbers, lot of good that was, nothing made sense, but its a MSI passive jobbie, anyhow put it back in and nothing, screen blank, energy saving logo comes on then screen button goes into sleep mode....then after a few minutes I get one long bleep followed by 3 short beeps, the ASUS website says its graphic card problem, so I swapped it with one from my back up PC and it still gives same beeps, what have I done? screwed up the motherboard?

Got a model number for the MB? If it beeps it usually isn't screwed.

Maybe due to the graphics card being incorrectly inserted into the board. Sometimes when inserting mine I need to support the other end of the board. The end away from the back panel as it bends and the card doesn't sit properly in the slot.

MB is ASUS M4N78SE.

I tried using the graphics card from my back up PC and nothing happened just the beeps, I have now put "newer" card from my new PC into my old PC and it works fine, so card is good, I'm now going to look for any signs of damage to MB PCIexpress socket.

This may sound silly, just looked at that MB and it has on-board video. You are plugging the monitor cable into the pci card output not the socket on the motherboard? Alternatively try the on-board video to see if that works.

That MB includes a built on NVIDIA nForce 720D graphics, have you tried using that ?

I gather you had an extra high performance graphics card installed in the long blue slot ?

Make sure that graphics card is properly seated, don't force it, it will require strong finger pressure but no more, there is normally a clip on the inner-most end of the slot, make sure that is securing the card. If that additional graphics card is very high performance it my required addition power lead from the PSU. Make sure that is secure.

"Energy saving logo" is probably produced by the monitor, do you get a BIOS screen when you boot up?

Carefully check that you have not disturbed any of the other wires.

Edited by WykeTyke

Put it all back together and take it back to PC World (or wherever) and ask for a new one.

Remember - if it aint broke don't fix it.

Put it all back together and take it back to PC World (or wherever) and ask for a new one.

Remember - if it aint broke don't fix it.

I sincerely hope it's "wherever"!

That MB includes a built on NVIDIA nForce 720D graphics, have you tried using that ?

I gather you had an extra high performance graphics card installed in the long blue slot ?

Make sure that graphics card is properly seated, don't force it, it will require strong finger pressure but no more, there is normally a clip on the inner-most end of the slot, make sure that is securing the card. If that additional graphics card is very high performance it my required addition power lead from the PSU. Make sure that is secure.

"Energy saving logo" is probably produced by the monitor, do you get a BIOS screen when you boot up?

Carefully check that you have not disturbed any of the other wires.

No bios screen, nothing from PC at all. the 720D is not a built in graphics, its just a chipset, there is not video output socket.

The MSI card is not powered externaly.

the PCI express socket (blue) has a locking tab thats fitting ok.

Tried to re-sit the memory (RAM) .

Some one gave me a laptop with black screen that wont start, I took the rams out and re-sit them .

It works ever since .

You may have lossened the rams slots .

Tried to re-sit the memory (RAM) .

Some one gave me a laptop with black screen that wont start, I took the rams out and re-sit them .

It works ever since .

You may have lossened the rams slots .

Not if the beeps from the MB are indicating a graphics problem.

Are you absolutely sure that it's seated properly and there aren't any extra leads you've forgotten? Have you checked the socket yet?

No bios screen, nothing from PC at all. the 720D is not a built in graphics, its just a chipset, there is not video output socket.

The MSI card is not powered externaly.

the PCI express socket (blue) has a locking tab thats fitting ok.

Ah. Take it back to the shop or kill it with fire. Both valid options.

Ah. Take it back to the shop or kill it with fire. Both valid options.

I bought all the parts about 16 months ago, never got around to building it untill a few months ago, its a shame it was a real flyer! so on the look out for a low cost AM3 board. I know whats coming next, my Windows 7 is going to ask to be reactivated and as its OEM I bet they want me to buy a fresh copy......

I bought all the parts about 16 months ago, never got around to building it untill a few months ago, its a shame it was a real flyer! so on the look out for a low cost AM3 board. I know whats coming next, my Windows 7 is going to ask to be reactivated and as its OEM I bet they want me to buy a fresh copy......

I have installed my OEM copy of Win7 on several different MB's after PC rebuilds and never had a problem. If you do have to buy a new copy go to http://www.software4students.co.uk/

TD

Edited by The Dentist

As daft as this sounds. Spray the slot with some spray clean or vacuum the slot out. I have seen this issue a few times both when you change memory (it gives diff bleeps then) and with graphics cards lots of times. I remember it well when AGP first came out it was a big issue then they introduced the little latches to the slot to lock the graphics card in.

Failing that check that the card is seated all in line make sure the gold bits are the same across the card all the way along sometimes if the slot gets worn or warped all the points don’t make contact with the slot so it throws its toys out of the pram. The card is working in your other pc and you have had it working in this one up till now so you will know all about your connections etc.

I have installed my OEM copy of Win7 on several different MB's after PC rebuilds and never had a problem. If you do have to buy a new copy go to http://www.software4students.co.uk/

TD

Whats the catch? Office 2010 pro for 40quid? do you have to prove you are a student?

Whats the catch? Office 2010 pro for 40quid? do you have to prove you are a student?

You have to declare your a student (think its tick a box) and im sure when I bought office from them I had to give them the name of the school I was at *cough* but thats as far as it goes re validation. To be honest I think MS are just happy getting some money rather than you running to the nearest pirate site.

Edited by anjali

You have to declare your a student (think its tick a box) and im sure when I bought office from them I had to give them the name of the school I was at *cough* but thats as far as it goes re validation. To be honest I think MS are just happy getting some money rather than you running to the nearest pirate site.

Try Open Office from OPEN OFFICE Free and very good.

You'd be better off posting your problem here, than on these boards.

Edit to deleted, miss-posted.

Edited by WykeTyke

Well, decided to replace the board, nothing on Ebay, YoYotech up the Tottenham court road have it listed but out of stock, thats easy to get to if they can get one in, or a place in Slough kikatek that lists it in stock, £48 so its the easy option just swop it out, no messing with software or W7 installs.

No MB's in stock, slightly different one are, but some good news I have found the old retail box and guess what, it came with a 3 year warrenty!! only problem it has to go back to the retailer, but that was from the Computer fair in Stratford, I dont have the reciept but I reckon the guy is still in the same corner so will have a chat tomorrow morning. To buy a new board of the same spec is about 50 to 60 quid so if I can send it for repair for free its got to be worth a punt!