Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WykeTyke

Online Privacy Threat

7 posts in this topic

To ensure your privacy you need to be aware of a rising threat. Recently there has been a massive rise in so called 'super cookies' one of the worst of these are flash cookies, but there is now something you can do about these.

Flash Control Panel

Select the second from right 'tab' and delete all.

Select the slider and move to the left, none (no local storage).

To ensure your privacy you need to be aware of a rising threat. Recently there has been a massive rise in so called 'super cookies' one of the worst of these are flash cookies, but there is now something you can do about these.

Flash Control Panel

There's a suggestion that ccleaner gets rid of these f*ckers, is that correct?

Sorry no idea, I know advanced system care clears them up, but the storage slider on that control panel is the only way I've found that seem to inoculate against them.

The other persistent super cookies are the silverlight ones, the only cure against them is make sure silverlight is never installed, which is no great loss, but you can't really get by without flash.

Just a Copy and Paste here;

Cleaning Flash cookies

A Flash cookie (also known as a Local Share Object, or LSO) is a collection of cookie-like data that a Web site running Adobe Flash can place on your hard drive. Like regular cookies, Flash cookies contain information about when you visited the site, and may contain tracking and settings information.

Flash cookies are stealthier than regular cookies. Flash can install cookies on your computer without your permission by default. You can change the default setting for Flash cookies at http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html ("Allow third-party Flash content to store data on your computer.").

Or, you can use CCleaner to clean Flash cookies when it runs. By default, CCleaner is set to leave Flash cookies alone.

To set CCleaner to clean Adobe Flash Cookies:

1.In CCleaner, click the Cleaner icon and then the Applications tab.

2.Under Multimedia, select Adobe Flash Player.

Note: Remember that cookies and Flash cookies are two separate things. Simply clearing the Adobe Flash Player setting will not set CCleaner to clean regular browser cookies.

Edited by Corus Boy

Flash Control Panel

I've just visited this and it shows me as having no websites data saved on my PC, and allocated storage space for such data is 'none', which sounds excellent news. Could this be because I always use Private Browsing mode in Firefox?