Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zeugma

Surabaya

10 posts in this topic

Anyone been to Surabaya in Indonesia? I have to go there later in the year, and hear that Dolly Street is one of Indonesia's "most notorious" RLDs. Is it worth sampling?

Thanks

Funny you should mention It, no I haven't been, but I'm planning to.

Surabaya Is Indo's second city, from what I've read on WSG there Is a thriving sex scene there.

Funny you should mention It, no I haven't been, but I'm planning to.

Surabaya Is Indo's second city, from what I've read on WSG there Is a thriving sex scene there.

I couldn't have fingered it on the map, but the Brecht/Weil song from MackieMesser about Surabaya Johnnie is still ringing in my ears!

Nearest I got thither was Tawau in Sabah!

Surayabaya is yet another once excellent destination which has seen better dayz n is now going to the dogs :(

4 or 5 years ago you could get laid in-house for as little as $7! :o

But from what I hear, many of the "houses" are being forced to close down, prices are up to around 100,000 rupiahs ($12 which is still good I guess) but quality is way down and 2 b honest it woz never that good n e way.

Any taxi driver will take you there, you then walk around teh village and hope to find something decent.

Good luck n pls write a report ;)

Surayabaya is yet another once excellent destination which has seen better dayz n is now going to the dogs :(

4 or 5 years ago you could get laid in-house for as little as $7! :o

But from what I hear, many of the "houses" are being forced to close down, prices are up to around 100,000 rupiahs ($12 which is still good I guess) but quality is way down and 2 b honest it woz never that good n e way.

Any taxi driver will take you there, you then walk around teh village and hope to find something decent.

Good luck n pls write a report ;)

I'll be there in late October. If I get anything interesting, I'll post in early November.

Well, I never got to do anything interesting in Surabaya, not least because my hosts were very attentive, and it was difficult to get away. And I didn't find it a comfortable city to be in, so the mood wasn't strong enough to make me break away and go out looking.

Glad to be back in the UK, where I'll catch up with some quality punts!

Well, I never got to do anything interesting in Surabaya, not least because my hosts were very attentive, and it was difficult to get away. And I didn't find it a comfortable city to be in, so the mood wasn't strong enough to make me break away and go out looking.

Glad to be back in the UK, where I'll catch up with some quality punts!

Thanx 4 keeping your promise to post :)

I dont think you missed much. Surabaya is not a comfortable place to be in as you said. Jakarta is chaotic but much nicer

Thanx 4 keeping your promise to post :)

I dont think you missed much. Surabaya is not a comfortable place to be in as you said. Jakarta is chaotic but much nicer

So why Is It not comfortable?

So why Is It not comfortable?

A sprawling town where it is not easy to walk around - lack of pavements, which is an Indonesian trait. And it's not somewhere that I felt safe on my own at night, unlike Singapore or Hong Kong, or even Malaysia. Taking taxis to an RLD is not my style - I prefer to make a more anonymous, oblique approach. Bolder spirits might have no difficulty, but I couldn't get the vibe.

A sprawling town where it is not easy to walk around - lack of pavements, which is an Indonesian trait. And it's not somewhere that I felt safe on my own at night, unlike Singapore or Hong Kong, or even Malaysia. Taking taxis to an RLD is not my style - I prefer to make a more anonymous, oblique approach. Bolder spirits might have no difficulty, but I couldn't get the vibe.

I dont think it's dangerous although I occasionally hear of trouble between locals and westerners in bars. Crossing the road is a pain in the baht since they keep the traffic moving by having as few traffic lites as possible