Guest Northwinds

Texts On A Go Slow

6 posts in this topic

Just a quick reminder to everyone that text delivery times aren't guaranteed by your network provider and this really became obvious to me yesterday.

I had a much anticipated punt booked for yesterday evening. I sent off the agreed confirmation text at 8:30am. By 3:30pm I had heard nothing back and was getting concerned as the WG is a very good and reliable communicator. I sent another text asking if everything was ok. I pretty shortly got a reply (slightly tetchy in tone) saying that she had sent me two texts that morning, one to confirm from her side and one to cancel due to a very serious emergency. The first was sent at 10:30am and the second at 11:30am.

Well, the missing texts eventually arrived at 4:30pm and 7:00am (yep, the next day), 6 hours and 20 hours late respectively. I can see from the message details that the texts were indeed sent when the WG said they were.

I wondered if this was a common occurence and whether other people were aware of the possibility.

P.S. I managed to secure an alternative booking that more than adequately filled the gap, so alls well that ends well.

Not sure how common it is, but yes it does happen, thats why im always suprised when I see some ladies say "oh if I missed a call within 15 min ill text them back", doesnt look good when the text arrives the next day...

It's not happened with respective bookings (touch wood it never does), but I have on several occasions texted friends only for them to receive them several hours too late and visa versa.

It's not happened with respective bookings (touch wood it never does), but I have on several occasions texted friends only for them to receive them several hours too late and visa versa.

Due to the sheer demand i find this has happened at New Year and also on a rare ocassion when my provider has had a technical problem. :)

Worst delay I've had with a text is 24 hours, not punting related though.

This once happened between myself and a forum member here. I actually favour phone confirmation, however a lot of chaps say they can only text. I suppose everyone has to then accept this risk. I've also had the odd person confirm by email, now in my opinion emails are even less reliable than texts and I often experience delays with them reaching my phone.

By the way always check the number you are using is correct. A few years back I received a confirmation for an appointment that wasn't with myself, the guy had obviously stored two numbers for ladies in the same area and texted the wrong one. Luckily I realised this after he used the girl's name, when insisting he had made an appointment with me and advised him of his error. Good job because it could have caused all sorts of mix ups, and fall outs. Also have had chaps dialling the wrong number all day, and just today someone was trying to get in touch at short notice, realised after a quick email that he'd got one of the digits wrong and thus missed an opportunity.