simplesimon

Guardian Article 6th Aug.

22 posts in this topic

My link

interesting read but since most of us here have heard it and seen it all before there is nothing new here.

My link

interesting read but since most of us here have heard it and seen it all before there is nothing new here.

When they started talking about crack cocaine in the second paragraph, I rolled my eyes. But the rest of the article isn't too bad, for the Guardian.

When they started talking about crack cocaine in the second paragraph, I rolled my eyes

Why?

Don't you think that it crops up so often because such a large number of working girls DO do it to feed a habit?

Why?

Don't you think that it crops up so often because such a large number of working girls DO do it to feed a habit?

It is a a cliché and unnecessary negative stereotype that re-enforces prejudice.

It conflates cause and effect that the radfems like spread claiming that prostitution causes drug addiction.

It is a a cliché and unnecessary negative stereotype that re-enforces prejudice.

It conflates cause and effect that the radfems like spread claiming that prostitution causes drug addiction.

i thought drug addiction causes prostitution (accoring to radfems)

It's a space filler. None of the interviewees says anything very original or insightful, and there is no evidence that this tiny sample is any more representative than 3 buyers and sellers in a fishmarket. As a student project it'd warrant a bare pass....but as an item of journalism, D-.

No. It crops up so often because anti-prostitution activists want to make the link between crack cocaine & prostitution - irrespective of whether the link is correct.

If you believe that "a large number of working girls DO do it to feed a habit", then please provide some evidence for your assertion.

No doubt that drug use plays a significant role on the street scene, but that makes up a very small part of prostitution in general.

What a day to see that hackneyed old rubbish. The world's facing possible economic meltdown or a savage double recession that could last for many years, and the old grey Grauniad digs up that drivel.

Mind you, most of its daily readership looks like it has also just been dug up from what I observe, in which case a matter of horses for courses?

It's a space filler. None of the interviewees says anything very original or insightful, and there is no evidence that this tiny sample is any more representative than 3 buyers and sellers in a fishmarket. As a student project it'd warrant a bare pass....but as an item of journalism, D-.

The prices mentioned do for once bear some relation to reality as we know it, until we get on to the guy at the end paying £3k for overnights :o

There are some really good pieces on the Blogs referenced: http://lettersfromjohns.blogspot.com/

Edited by Vin DaLoo

It's a load of cliched, tired old drivel.

There are interviews with three women - one of whom is a crack addict, another who feels 'dirty' by what she's done, and another who says half of her clients ask for sex without a condom, which in my experience is nowhere near this number.

As for the men, one describes how he hands the cash to a 'drug-addicted, Marlboro-reeking' service provider, whilst the other one is apparently paying £3K for an overnighter. The only interview in which the women are described in terms befitting normal human beings is the one with the 34-year-old virgin.

another who says half of her clients ask for sex without a condom, which in my experience is nowhere near this number.

Yes, that sounds like a load of crap; one of the biggest fears of punters is catching something and passing it on to their other half (and judging by previous polls at least 50% of punters have a partner); grief, there's even a thread on here about the risks of catching something from a handjob!

Edited by Vin DaLoo

Shame on the Gruniad for regurgitating this stereotypical shite.

Look at the cliches.... crack addiction, parents divorce, 12 men a day, unprotected aex.....need I go on?

And how can you detect 'nervousness' from a text message. what fcking tripe.

As for the sado who paid £3,000 a night for a student, words fail me. Another delusioned punter with more money than sense.

As for the sado who paid £3,000 a night for a student, words fail me. Another delusioned punter with more money than sense.

...if it's true.

Yes, that sounds like a load of crap

It does, yes. In fact the more I think about it, I can actually only ever remember one client who 'suggested' we do away with the condom. How any lady can say in all honesty that 50% of clients don't want to wear a condom is beyond me. That's if any lady actually said this... (and if she did, she needs to quickly assess why she's attracting such an inordinate amount of idiot clients!)

Compelling article, but typically Guardian, I mean their never going to run a positive perspective on the trade are they?..

Ah, now I see both written by the same person

What a day to see that hackneyed old rubbish. The world's facing possible economic meltdown or a savage double recession that could last for many years, and the old grey Grauniad digs up that drivel.

Mind you, most of its daily readership looks like it has also just been dug up from what I observe, in which case a matter of horses for courses?

This is the same Guardian that gots its teeth into the hacking story and wouldn't let it go until everything came out. The same Guardian that discredited the trafficking statistics. Without the Guardian and the Independent, our press would be a haven of enlightened, truthful, and thoughtful journalism, wouldn't it?

This is the same Guardian that gots its teeth into the hacking story and wouldn't let it go until everything came out. The same Guardian that discredited the trafficking statistics. Without the Guardian and the Independent, our press would be a haven of enlightened, truthful, and thoughtful journalism, wouldn't it?

Reading a newspaper isn't like supporting a football team. You are allowed to agree with some of its reporting, whilst disagreeing with others.

Just because they did a good job on the hacking story, doesn't take away from the fact that their coverage of prostitution has been largely clichéd and one-sided. Yes, a Guardian journalist did valiantly discredit the trafficking statistics, however 95% of their articles on prostitution push the notion that all prostitutes are drug-addled-illiterate-exploited-trafficked-child-sex-abuse-victims, and ignore that good journalist's work.

This attitude does a great disservice to the majority of prostitutes in this country, and is an attitude that is leading to prostituton being pushed further underground, to everyone's detriment.

A few months since the Guardian referred to "prostituted women". I wrote and complained that no evidence was provided that the women concerned were in any way coerced and the correct term should be "prostitutes".

And the only letter they print in reply in yesterday's magazine is from "Charlotte Stretch Via email" and says (as printed in full):

The Payoff (August 6) depicted prostitution as an exchange that occurs exclusively between educated, middle-class individuals. Surely any investigation of why prostitution occurs has a responsibility to address the more disturbing reality: that a huge proportion of sex workers aren't bored women with degrees, but illegally trafficked girls being exploited and raped on a daily basis.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!