Galahad

Trying Out New Chat Room Software

39 posts in this topic

I've got a 30 day trial of 123flashchat, which is being considered as a possible replacement for addonchat. It gains some features, and loses some.. of course nothing is perfect.

There is a link at the top of the forum ("123FlashChat") which will open the chat room in the current window, as well as a list of rooms at the bottom of the main forum page - currently there is only one, The Lounge - clicking on that link will open a small popup chat window.

One big difference is that there are both "personal" and "private" messages - don't get them confused and say something in public that you meant to be private! "personal" is a publicly viewable message directed at a specific user. "Private" really is private.

Please try it out and post here with your comments and suggestions.. thanks!

I like it, it has some good features.

I like it! Been in there all day so far! It just needs a Slush Puppie machine and its perfect! :)

had a go last evening.

the icons need to go or the chat scrols up the page too fast.

had a go last evening.

the icons need to go or the chat scrols up the page too fast.

Agreed - the avatars were a waste of space and have been disabled.

any chance of putting a number of chatters active like the old chatroom?

any chance of putting a number of chatters active like the old chatroom?

The "old" chat room no longer works for me - is that the same for everyone ?

The "old" chat room no longer works for me - is that the same for everyone ?

works for me...

The new Flash room does not work for me. I get an almost blank screen

Uncle Pokey

The new Flash room does not work for me. I get an almost blank screen

Uncle Pokey

Sounds like a problem with your Flash player. Suggest you go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer and update your system to the latest. You might also try a different browser.

i has a problem after playing an embedded video on another blog.

but restarting computer fixed that. i suspect the video was corrupted.

but i keep getting asked if i want to save the video by real player????

I tried 123 Chat for the first time last night. Enjoyed it. Two things: 1) it would be good to see who's in the Lounge before coming in; 2) Do you guarantee that what we write disappears for good after we log out?

hi G I love it, it is much more up to date and like the msn live chat ...it will be a bit of a mare every time someone new comes in and try's out all the stuff but if you take it away there will be no fun in it at all, just a different shape chat box so it MUST STAY lol..xx

in fact I am in there right now talking to myself lol..where ARE you .x

sorry but the load time makes it a pain. think the old one was better.

and i have had interference when movies may be paying in other firefox tabs.

and you cant float it

I have tried the new 123 flashchat. I think its vwet good better than the old chat

Not that keen. Don't like the look and no floating possible. Don't see it as an improvement.

Not that keen. Don't like the look and no floating possible. Don't see it as an improvement.

fuck me. prof and me agreeing on something.

You cant float on the new version that G installed a while ago either, you still have to right click to open a separate window anyway, so what is the difference between doing this with chat and new chat?

I tried 123 Chat for the first time last night. Enjoyed it. Two things: 1) it would be good to see who's in the Lounge before coming in; 2) Do you guarantee that what we write disappears for good after we log out?

But it doesnt disappear with the chat we already have, its still there for everyone to see after you log out.x

While the new chat room has a more attractive look and feel, it has several major shortcomings when compared to the old chat room, such as the inability to create a separate chat room on the fly and no link back to users' forum profiles.

Also, addonchat has just released a new version which has now corrected the copy/paste issue (my main complaint), so at this point it looks like we will be sticking with the old chat room.

While the new chat room has a more attractive look and feel

Just goes to show how much beauty is in the eye of the beholder! ;)

The 123flashchat software proved inadequate, so it has been removed from the system. Thanks to everyone who tried it out and posted their comments!

The copy/paste issue with addonchat has been resolved, you should now be able to paste into chat using the right-click menu.

Galahad, I'm having trouble getting into chat room now. Seems to be very slow and unwilling to move forward. Is it me?