chancalot

The Pussy A Misnomer?

44 posts in this topic

As the majority of ladies are now shaven in the vital area, is the name' Pussy' not appropriate any more?.Made more popular on tv by mrs.Slocombe with her references to her cat is it now outdated?.Should we now revert to the good old British name 'Fanny'?

As the majority of ladies are now shaven in the vital area, is the name' Pussy' not appropriate any more?.Made more popular on tv by mrs.Slocombe with her references to her cat is it now outdated?.Should we now revert to the good old British name 'Fanny'?

Pussy is just fine with me and i shall be continuing to use the word. :)

It will confuse our American members:

'AS she left the room he patted her Fanny'.

'He observed the rounded shape of her Fanny cheeks'.

Hate the word fanny personally..

besides, there are hairless cats around :)

sphynx.jpg

Edited by Cora

Can't stand the word fanny- it makes me feel all cringey!

Pussy is fine and I do like the good old fashioned C word!

So that rules out one of Jane Austen's heroines then!

I can't stand the C word. For someone acting like one, maybe, for the delicate, sweet and mysterious pussy/fanny, its too strong to my mind.

Did anyone see the BBC2(?) programme on the English dictionary where, at about 19:00 hours, they had Germaine Greer describing where the word originated from? YEs, it was said, written and spoken a few times.

there is a fanny street in Saltaire near Bradford. But it is named after Titus Salts daughter.

mebbe fanny would be a good working name for some WG!

Londons original dockside red light district had a lane actually named Grope Cunt Lane

there is a fanny street in Saltaire near Bradford. But it is named after Titus Salts daughter.

mebbe fanny would be a good working name for some WG!

I had a great great aunt Fanny once ,didn't know her ,born around 1885!!dont think she was a WG.Pussy is nice,C is pretty vile.

I had a great great aunt Fanny once ,didn't know her ,born around 1885!!dont think she was a WG.Pussy is nice,C is pretty vile.

best name in my tree is tryphinia. where did that come from in Devon in 1930's?

Kudos to Ebony Pussy Lover. It was in the stews of Southwark and located on the Peckham/New Cross border near the top end of the Old Kent Road. I also use the term pussy as a term of abuse with cnut being reserved for someone who clearly is.

Leman Street also describes the services that could be obtained there.

...and I do like the good old fashioned C word!

Me too! :)

I do like the good old fashioned C word!

Me too! :)

I love the word as an insult (in the right company). I don't use it to describe a part of a woman's anatomy though.

I love the word as an insult (in the right company). I don't use it to describe a part of a woman's anatomy though.

I love it when a lady uses it to decribe her own anatomy, but I wouldn't say it unless she'd used the word first - different strokes, eh? ;)

I love that forbidden word if it's during a bdsm meet or if the man is clearly taking charge! Yummy ;)

The derivation is unclear and as likely to have to do with purses as moggies....... and purses are rarely hairy....

pussy (1)

"cat," 1726, dim. of puss (1), also used of a rabbit (1715). As a term of endearment for a girl or woman, from 1580s (also used of effeminate men). Pussy willow is from 1869, on notion of "soft and furry."

pussy (2)

slang for "female pudenda," 1879, but probably older; perhaps from O.N. puss "pocket, pouch" (cf. Low Ger. puse "vulva"), but perhaps instead from the cat word (see pussy (1)) on notion of "soft, warm, furry thing;" cf. Fr. le chat, which also has a double meaning, feline and genital. Earlier uses are difficult to distinguish from pussy (1), e.g.:

The word pussie is now used of a woman [Philip Stubbes, "The Anatomie of Abuses," 1583]

But the use of pussy as a term of endearment argues against the vaginal sense being generally known before late 19c., e.g.:

"What do you think, pussy?" said her father to Eva. [Harriet Beecher Stowe, "Uncle Tom's Cabin," 1852]

From http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=p&p=60

To clarify the use of the C word- I don't like it bandied about as a term of abuse, but if someone has been really really awful I might use it and only ever in company who I know would not be offended by it. In terms of my lady parts/pussy/fanny/vag/minge I like it used sparingly by a lover. Something very erotic (to me) about being asked to show my cnut or told 'I'm going to put my cock in your wet cnut' type thing or (as Grendel said) as a woman I quite like to use it with a man I know well enough to respond happily.

I have a book called Dirty Words- and have looked up where Cunt has come from. (This is very novel, using a booking and typing- it's like ye olden days before the internet and copy/paste!)

Up until the fifteen century cunt was not a taboo word- hence street names such as Gropecuntlane, probably in reference to the brothels in that area. Indeed 11th century church records reveal surnames such as Wydecunte and Clawecunte, these people, or at least their ancestors were probably named for some anatomical abnormality or behavioural tendency. By the 14th century the word was becoming taboo, Chaucer uses cunt, but spells it queynte (Note to self, read The Wife of Bath- she sounds like a right goer!) probably to distance himself from the original form. Alternately Chaucer could have had a notion that cunt was derived from quaint- a word that means (among other things) skillfully designed or cunning.

So, where does it come from? Noone really knows the original source but suggestions are from the latin cunnus which denoted the vaginal regions, in turn cunnus came from cuneus meaning wedge, a supposed resemblence in shape!

On the other hand cunnus could come from the Greek kusos from the Sanskrit cushi meaning ditch!

For reference the book is Dirty Words, The story of sex talk by Mark Morton. Is a fabulous book!

your wet cnut' type thing

I assume this is not King Cnut (aka Canute) who got damp proving that it was not within his powers to tell the tide to go back?

I assume this is not King Cnut (aka Canute) who got damp proving that it was not within his powers to tell the tide to go back?

I was attempting to be polite- God knows why given the nature of this forum!

To clarify the use of the C word- I don't like it bandied about as a term of abuse, but if someone has been really really awful I might use it and only ever in company who I know would not be offended by it. In terms of my lady parts/pussy/fanny/vag/minge I like it used sparingly by a lover. Something very erotic (to me) about being asked to show my cnut or told 'I'm going to put my cock in your wet cnut' type thing or (as Grendel said) as a woman I quite like to use it with a man I know well enough to respond happily.

I use it as a term of abuse about those people generally who i feel are cunts with David Cameron being the biggest one recently for putting his holiday before his country, showing me the utter cunt he truly is.

In punting i sometimes hear or get get asked to talk dirty using words including cunt or fucking fuck me you motherfucking cunt being a recent line by a WG, i did my best to oblige. The very best for me is WGs whispering filth in my ear, one in each ear stereophonically, absolute heaven. :)

That does sound like heaven, stereo sex talk, I try very hard not to use it as a swear word because I love cunts but don't mind using it during sex instead of pussy if the situation feels right.