Chloe Kisses

O2 Pay As You Go V Greece

20 posts in this topic

Hi...a couple of simple questions..

a) would an iphone 4 on an o2 pay as you go work in the Greek Island's?

B) would an o2 pay as you go mobile broadband dongle work there too?

Do any of you have any experience in this. Obviously I have already looked online and regarding the phone...it SHOULD and regarding the dongle...it SHOULD'NT.

Things arent always the way they are advertised or advised though are they.

Hi...a couple of simple questions..

a) would an iphone 4 on an o2 pay as you go work in the Greek Island's?

B) would an o2 pay as you go mobile broadband dongle work there too?

Do any of you have any experience in this. Obviously I have already looked online and regarding the phone...it SHOULD and regarding the dongle...it SHOULD'NT.

Things arent always the way they are advertised or advised though are they.

Chloe this could workout to be very expensive, is it essential that the o2 number is on whilst in Greece? As for the dongle forget it, if you think making and receiving calls whilst abroad is expensive, you wait until you see a bill for data usage.

I would suggest if you've been wit o2 for more than 3 month and they supplied you with the iPhone that you get them to unlock it, a service that they offer for free. If the phone is already unlocked get a Greek SIM card, you data option for your dongle will be less straight forward unless that to has been unlocked.

Most hotels have wi-fi in Greece now, so it's probably better to use that, than the dongle.

As for making and receiving calls, it is a rip-off in my view :P.

I'd buy a Greek sim card, they are quite cheap, last time I went it was 10euro, but that was a while ago, you might even be able to find some on Ebay (new), I bought my Cyprus one from Ebay.

And if o2, don't unlock your phone you could try http://sim-unlock.net/, I have tried a few phones with them and they have been excellent and safe! Not sure how much an Iphone costs though.

I am just worried that if i use a hotel computer a huge alarm will go off if i enter an 18 adult site lol..ie...my website.x

I am going to be mainly texting anyway or going online from my phone at best for 10 mintutes per day so I think i will just take a shed load of vouchers with me...and be prudent with my phone.x

I am going to be mainly texting anyway or going online from my phone at best for 10 mintutes per day so I think i will just take a shed load of vouchers with me...and be prudent with my phone.x

Chloe with regards to you texting and using data I would strongly suggest that you contact o2 now and let them tell you what you can expect to pay, with regards to being online for 10 minutes from your phone you will be surprised how much using data while roaming costs.

I am just worried that if i use a hotel computer a huge alarm will go off if i enter an 18 adult site lol..ie...my website.x

As suggested Lamwholam most hotels have WiFi in Greece now, so the cheaper option would be to take a laptop or to use your iPhone on their WiFi. You don't even need to have an active SIM card for WiFI to work with your iPhone, and if using your own devices no alarm bells will sound if you go onto any adult sites.

aha now I get it.thankyou.xx

Chloe: if you going to do that, one thing to keep in mind. Once you switch on you phone and it started roaming, all Voice mail messages will be loaded, and you will be charged at around £1.50-£2 per minute for it, even if you not going to listen them. (if you do, that is additional charges on the top) Before you go to Greece, best to turn Voice mail off. Because you are on o2: dial 1760 to deactivate voice mail. When you come back: dial 1750 to activate it again.

I once forgot to switch off my Voice mail off, before going abroad, only put my phone for a about 5 minutes, to sent few texts, and when I come back was present with £70 something bill. That was only charges for voicemail which were left to me, as I never made a single call while I was out of UK.

Chloe: if you going to do that, one thing to keep in mind. Once you switch on you phone and it started roaming, all Voice mail messages will be loaded, and you will be charged at around £1.50-£2 per minute for it, even if you not going to listen them. (if you do, that is additional charges on the top) Before you go to Greece, best to turn Voice mail off. Because you are on o2: dial 1760 to deactivate voice mail. When you come back: dial 1750 to activate it again.

I once forgot to switch off my Voice mail off, before going abroad, only put my phone for a about 5 minutes, to sent few texts, and when I come back was present with £70 something bill. That was only charges for voicemail which were left to me, as I never made a single call while I was out of UK.

Chloe: ignore above. I missed the part when you said that you are on PAYG. I posted it, because I thought your Iphone on contract. Still: might be useful for somebody.

Have a nice holiday Chloe, hope you have a relaxing time . :D

Chloe: ignore above. I missed the part when you said that you are on PAYG. I posted it, because I thought your Iphone on contract. Still: might be useful for somebody.

Well done Xenia I forgot to add that, and even though Chloe is using a PAYG SIM the principal should still be the same if she currently has her voicemail activated.

I shall certainly take your advice re the voicemail Xenia, thankyou. I only had Cuba to go by as far as internet is concerned and they have designated pc's for guests but I have checked and the rooms have wi fi where I am staying thank goodness lol....you would have thought i would consider this wouldnt you when booking but it just flew out of my head.

Thanks everyone.xx

downloaded a translator app and a currency app onto my iphone...amazing what you can do nowadays isnt it...the translator app will actually speak the phrase in the other language so there wont be any cock ups with my dodgy pronunciation lol.x

I shall certainly take your advice re the voicemail Xenia, thankyou. I only had Cuba to go by as far as internet is concerned and they have designated pc's for guests but I have checked and the rooms have wi fi where I am staying thank goodness lol....you would have thought i would consider this wouldnt you when booking but it just flew out of my head.

Thanks everyone.xx

downloaded a translator app and a currency app onto my iphone...amazing what you can do nowadays isnt it...the translator app will actually speak the phrase in the other language so there wont be any cock ups with my dodgy pronunciation lol.x

Chloe: Are you sure that there is a wifi in your hotel in Cuba? I've been in Cuba in June this year, and its only few 5 stars hotels (mainly in Havana, and around regions have a wifi). Its still not free and it will cost you at around 12Cuc per hour (around £8),plus its constantly get disconnected. Incredibly unreliable.

As for the rest of the Cuba: forget it, lol. Dial up access, in the designated Internet cafes in the hotel, and it will take you around 20 min to sent an email, and I am not exaggerating, lol (make sure you write it first while offline). Don't even attempt any browsing.

Yes, Cuba rather in Jurassic era with the Internet access, but such an amazing country with the most kind, relaxed and happy local people. (even though, its not a lot to be happy about at the present). You would love it! One of the 2 countries where I definitely come back again. (I usually don't like to visit the same country more then once). Please tip them generously. This people deserve it!

Edited by Xenia

Chloe: Are you sure that there is a wifi in your hotel in Cuba? I've been in Cuba in June this year, and its only few 5 stars hotels (mainly in Havana, and around regions have a wifi). Its still not free and it will cost you at around 12Cuc per hour (around £8),plus its constantly get disconnected. Incredibly unreliable.

As for the rest of the Cuba: forget it, lol. Dial up access, in the designated Internet cafes in the hotel, and it will take you around 20 min to sent an email, and I am not exaggerating, lol (make sure you write it first while offline). Don't even attempt any browsing.

Yes, Cuba rather in Jurassic era with the Internet access, but such an amazing country with the most kind, relaxed and happy local people. (even though, its not a lot to be happy about at the present). You would love it! One of the 2 countries where I definitely come back again. (I usually don't like to visit the same country more then once). Please tip them generously. This people deserve it!

Xenia I believe Chloe Is off to Greece for her holidays.

The problem with modern smart phones when roaming they will automatically download data unless you turn It off, have heard stories of ppl getting big bills after a foreign trip.

I always get a local pay-asU-go Sim whatever country I'm In, as the hotel has wi-fi no problem there.

Xenia i already went to Cuba earlier this year and for the first time two years ago. you are right though the internet there is slooowww even when not dial up. The hotels have designated computers in the lobby and mine was a 5 star also. There was a little lady at a desk with perfect view of every screen and we were not allowed the volume up or to use headphones with the volume down :o :o . One of the reps there told me that the only way a Cuban person can get wifi in their home is if a forgeign national working there buys a broadband package from the government and then rents out the use of his wifi to Cubans, even then the rep says every time he loads a page he can literally go off, make a cup of tea, have a chat with his wife and then come back in time for the page to appear...shocking really tbh. I did manage to browse but try getting onto any social network sites and a big message comes up saying that this site is not recognised, so they even filter which sites you can actually access at all.

I am going to Zante this time and yes there is wifi access, I checked on the internet :D

Xenia i already went to Cuba earlier this year and for the first time two years ago. you are right though the internet there is slooowww even when not dial up. The hotels have designated computers in the lobby and mine was a 5 star also. There was a little lady at a desk with perfect view of every screen and we were not allowed the volume up or to use headphones with the volume down :o :o . One of the reps there told me that the only way a Cuban person can get wifi in their home is if a forgeign national working there buys a broadband package from the government and then rents out the use of his wifi to Cubans, even then the rep says every time he loads a page he can literally go off, make a cup of tea, have a chat with his wife and then come back in time for the page to appear...shocking really tbh. I did manage to browse but try getting onto any social network sites and a big message comes up saying that this site is not recognised, so they even filter which sites you can actually access at all.

I am going to Zante this time and yes there is wifi access, I checked on the internet :D

Chloe can you pick me up a Greek Godess plz? They must be going cheap now. :)

Whenever you go abroad, make sure you have a tri-band phone and buy a local pay as you blab sim.

This is much cheaper than paying roaming charges. I have a Thai simcard and it costs a fraction of what it would cost me to roam.

As above!

I was told to turn off all data services, and VM when taking my phone abroad. Sure enough you safer with PAYG however you don't want your top-up to be swallowed as soon as you switch it on! Yes you are charged for any messages left on your voicemail, and I think before you even listen to them because you are still effectively receiving a call whilst roaming. How about you simply turn the phone off and do without internet/texting for a week or however long? I managed it once.

Edited by Strawberry

Well my calls were 35p per min incoming and outgoing and texts were 11p so tbh I was happy with that as I took £60. top ups with me and used 40 with plenty left on my phone when I returned home. The hotel had wi fi that i had to pay for at €5 per hour so extortionate but it was enough to buy an hour each day to do the essentials, all in all I was happy and very relieved as my o2 sim didnt have any problems making any calls other than some mobile numbers went straight through and some I had to affix the +44 to.x