Earthpig2011

Gum Or Gp

17 posts in this topic

Hi. Having only just started punting I'm now concerned I might have an STI. I'm in a real quandary about whether to go to a GUM in London where I work or my GP outside of London. The issue with the GP is that my wife and I go there regularly for blood pressure checks, etc.

My punting career has been 4 punts:

July 13 121 covered sex, covered oral, reverse oral

Aug 2 party, covered sex, owo, reverse oral

Aug 5 same as Aug 2

Aug 12 121 covered sex, owo

Saturday just gone I started to experience burning when peeing and later that day early symptoms of conjunctivitis.

Today I've got full blown conjunctivitis and burning when peeing.

The Internet diagnosis says chlamydia or adenovirus.

If there's any chance of the first then I'd rather go to a GUM miles from home. If the latter is the cause then I need to see my GP.

Any thoughts or experience greatly appreciated.

See the GUM clinic to confirm if STI or not. If it is, then they are the experts; if not you can toddle along to the GP happy that it's nothing embarrassing. No logic to doing it the other way round.

Go to the GUM clinic. I've been to GUM about 3 things I thought were STDs and they all turned out to be non-STD conditions. The upside was that they gave me free medication to treat them as opposed to a prescription charge from my GP!

Went to gum clinic local to me this morning as conjunctivitis so bad that couldn't open one eye.

Have to say gum clinic gas put fear of god into me.

Swab showed signs of an NSU which they've given me antibiotics for. Couldn't tell me if it's chlamydia. Advised me to inform partners, etc.

Started telling me about the risks of HIV and hep b from my activity. Will get blood test results back in a week.

My plan is to hold fire on informing wife and WGs until I have test results.

Is this reasonable? Thoughts and experiences again welcome.

Have to say I'm bricking it a bit!

No brainer GUM they will test you for much more than your GP will and you can do it totally anonymous.

Tell them totally honestly what you have been up to and they will give thorough testing including blood work.

They have seen it and heard it all, totally non judgemental.

If they suspect clamydia they'll pop you some strong antibiotics and tell you to avoid sex for a week.

You'll only have got it in your eye if you got semen or vaginal fluid on your fingers and rubbed your eye or got a faceful!

GUM is best, they won't inform your GP unless you say it's okay and even then only if it's something REALLY serious.

And you'll get all the jabs and proper check ups. You do need to get in touch with the previous 4 if possible of it comes back you do have something. Though any girl worth her salt should be having regular check ups and informing you herself if something is amiss.

Though any girl worth her salt should be having regular check ups and informing you herself if something is amiss.

As should punters IMO.

Whether in a relationship or not, a regular visit keeps you aware of your health and you never know when you might get involved in something more serious.

Went to gum clinic local to me this morning as conjunctivitis so bad that couldn't open one eye.

Have to say gum clinic gas put fear of god into me.

Swab showed signs of an NSU which they've given me antibiotics for. Couldn't tell me if it's chlamydia. Advised me to inform partners, etc.

Started telling me about the risks of HIV and hep b from my activity. Will get blood test results back in a week.

My plan is to hold fire on informing wife and WGs until I have test results.

Is this reasonable? Thoughts and experiences again welcome.

Have to say I'm bricking it a bit!

They should be able to tell if it is chlamydia from the urine test. Can one ask what advice you got re the conjunctivitis? That seems a more serious immediate concern than the (pretty minimal) risk of HIV.

They should be able to tell if it is chlamydia from the urine test. Can one ask what advice you got re the conjunctivitis? That seems a more serious immediate concern than the (pretty minimal) risk of HIV.

He didn't do a urine test, it was scrapings from my urethra. Under the microscope he just said it looked like an NSU, but could still be chlamydia.

I got zero advice about the conjunctivitis other than go see your GP. Kept telling me that it might be coincidental. Of course the GP is out of the question for now. Good news is that the doxycycline I've been given is good for UTIs as well so should clear up my problem even if it isn't an STI.

The impression I got was that the nurse wanted to convince me that all of the other party goers were HIV riddled bisexuals. He was also suggesting that I inform my wife prior to receiving the test results and despite the fact that we haven't had sex for nearly six months.

My research indicates that the conjunctivitis should clear up as the underlying infection is dealt with. I've been bathing my eyes in sterile water and they're showing a mild improvement after two days of treatment.

Well, the good news is that my blood test has come back negative for all STI's.

The bad news is that my conjunctivitis has blown up into a full on eye infection. It looks like I've got chlamydia in my eye. So I've had to fess up to the GP and been referred to the local eye hospital. I've been given some fairly strong antibiotic eye drops which will hopefully do the trick.

So the moral of the story, be careful what you get in your eyes! Or wear swimming goggles when you punt!

The bad news is that my conjunctivitis has blown up into a full on eye infection. It looks like I've got chlamydia in my eye. So I've had to fess up to the GP and been referred to the local eye hospital. I've been given some fairly strong antibiotic eye drops which will hopefully do the trick.

So the moral of the story, be careful what you get in your eyes! Or wear swimming goggles when you punt!

You should really have heeded the advice to go to your GP! Very good advice though to be careful about the eyes, I already knew they are a common route for cold viruses to enter the body and being a moist membranous organ susceptible to all sorts of other nasties.

Glad to hear you tested negative for STIs, i hope the eye infection clears up quickly. :)

Looking back to the OP, would it be over the top to conclude that reverse oral was the culprit here..?

Looking back to the OP, would it be over the top to conclude that reverse oral was the culprit here..?

Well it's still not confirmed that my eye infection is chlamydia. It could be completely coincidental. I'll find out tomorrow.

If it is, then it's possible that I got it during RO, but I think unlikely. Far more likely is that I had vaginal fluid on my fingers and touched my eye.

Well it's still not confirmed that my eye infection is chlamydia. It could be completely coincidental. I'll find out tomorrow.

If it is, then it's possible that I got it during RO, but I think unlikely. Far more likely is that I had vaginal fluid on my fingers and touched my eye.

Interesting to read. Even though it's at the expense of your sanity and sight, so sorry about that!

If it was chlamydia in the eye, would it still not have shown up in the blood tests?

I've no idea if you can pick up an eye infection without a corresponding indication in the blood work.

In the end it turned out to be adenovirus. Which is a generic virus that includes colds and can cause uti's and respiratory infections.

It's passed by contact with other people or things like wet towels, etc.

Could have been the party or could equally have been touching a door in the gents after another bloke that didn't wash their hands.

I've no idea if you can pick up an eye infection without a corresponding indication in the blood work.

In the end it turned out to be adenovirus. Which is a generic virus that includes colds and can cause uti's and respiratory infections.

It's passed by contact with other people or things like wet towels, etc.

Could have been the party or could equally have been touching a door in the gents after another bloke that didn't wash their hands.

or that bloke in the pub coughing. we pick up infections all the time.

are you healthy? you should not get eye infections without being under the weather.