jerboa

Getting Football On Satelite?

24 posts in this topic

A friend of mine runs a barber shop, so he works on Saturday afternoons, now he wants to watch the Saturday afternoon matches there, obviously If he gets Sky they will charge him commercial rates.

I know a little bit about foreign satellite channels, anyone know If It's worth subscribing to a foreign sports channel, or can you still get pirate cards? ;)

maybe espn on freeview may be cheaper?

A friend of mine runs a barber shop, so he works on Saturday afternoons, now he wants to watch the Saturday afternoon matches there, obviously If he gets Sky they will charge him commercial rates.

I know a little bit about foreign satellite channels, anyone know If It's worth subscribing to a foreign sports channel, or can you still get pirate cards? ;)

The pirate cards have mostly been displaced by STBs that manage grey-market subscriptions over the internet. To use one of those he needs broadband internet access.

The pirate cards have mostly been displaced by STBs that manage grey-market subscriptions over the internet. To use one of those he needs broadband internet access.

What's a STB? Yes maybe Internet Is the way to go.

Most of the non-chain pubs where I live appear to have Set Top Boxes with either Tring (cheapest, only SD afaik), Al-Jazeera or ViaSat (both HD) cards.

All are considerably cheaper than Sky' commercial rates and (unlike Sky Sports) are able to show most of the 3pm matches live too!

Most of the non-chain pubs where I live appear to have Set Top Boxes with either Tring (cheapest, only SD afaik), Al-Jazeera or ViaSat (both HD) cards.

All are considerably cheaper than Sky' commercial rates and (unlike Sky Sports) are able to show most of the 3pm matches live too!

Is ViaSat the Scandanavian network? Funny that the rest of the world can see many of the Saturday matches, but we can't.

Pirate cards! You are taking a chance with the Punternet moral police by suggesting something illegal like that :rolleyes: There's a lot of them about!

Not knowing the layout of the premises its difficult to suggest anything but if there are living quarters or there is a private room for tea breaks / lunch then couldn't he have it installed there as a private installation? Do these video transmitters you see work?

Or use "myp2p.eu" to get most of the games streamed to a PC for free.

Edited by bigjohn9

Is ViaSat the Scandanavian network? Funny that the rest of the world can see many of the Saturday matches, but we can't.

Yeah. A local bar has it (Norwegian variety I believe) and very good quality picture, although they don't always have English language commentary for the matches. Iirc it cost them £1200 for official STB and card plus 12 months subscription.

All a bit of a grey area legally since ECJ advisory in January, hence Sky' hiatus on prosecuting landlords in recent months, but should be a final ruling within weeks: October 4 set for foreign satellite ruling - General News - Morning Advertiser

Afaik the reason why no UK broadcaster is allowed to show 3pm games live is to help attendances at lower league matches: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_on_television#3pm_Blackout

Pirate cards! You are taking a chance with the Punternet moral police by suggesting something illegal like that :rolleyes: There's a lot of them about!

Not knowing the layout of the premises its difficult to suggest anything but if there are living quarters or there is a private room for tea breaks / lunch then couldn't he have it installed there as a private installation? Do these video transmitters you see work?

He wants to see the game In his shop as he's working.

Might go for the STB and card, I used to have a multi satellite system, so he could borrow my old box.

Edited by jerboa

Or use "myp2p.eu" to get most of the games streamed to a PC for free.

So did I until it was taken down! ..........Mind you I'm with Sky internet- maybe they have blocked it?

He wants to see the game In his shop as he's working.

Yes. Screwfix /toolstation have cable and cable clips. ;)

So did I until it was taken down! ..........Mind you I'm with Sky internet- maybe they have blocked it?

I belive its a domain issue as I cant get it on BT but, try this link it works for me

What's a STB? Yes maybe Internet Is the way to go.

STB = Set Top Box, they still receive the broadcast via Satellite Dish but instead of having a hardware CAM with card, they use a Soft-CAM which gets the decryption key over the net from the subscription supplier.

I've used liveonlinefooty for a couple of years and it's excellent. They show all the prem matches (afaik) plus some Championship matches, some from la liga and serie A too, as well as other big sporting events.

I have Sky and ESPN through Virgin media but I still keep a subscription to liveonlinefooty for the Saturday 3pm kick offs which aren't on either of those channels.

alot of the time i use twitter for free streams myp2p.eu is another good one.

If you are going down the satellite route you will need a motorised dish, a pirate card of some sort so you can decode scandanavian and foreign channels etc

its a total pizz take that half the world can see our matches but we cant see them ourselves !

I wish every footie fan would go pirate, SKY or who ever owns the rights then have lost so much money the Premiership would get peanuts instead of the multimillions, then inturn the clubs lose the cash cow and the players end up being paid related to what money come through the turnstiles.

Few problems with FirstRow - all the matches and a decent picture even on my old monitor and with weak/slow broadband speed out here in the sticks. Better still, free other than your broadband fees which if you have unlimited access will mean free in every sense.

Few problems with FirstRow - all the matches and a decent picture even on my old monitor and with weak/slow broadband speed out here in the sticks. Better still, free other than your broadband fees which if you have unlimited access will mean free in every sense.

That was a hostage to fortune - last Saturday First Row went down minutes before the afternoon matches were due to kick-off. They came back on the following day and have been ok since.

That was a hostage to fortune - last Saturday First Row went down minutes before the afternoon matches were due to kick-off. They came back on the following day and have been ok since.

And how frustrating was that!

Try

http://soccer-portal.org/live-football/premier-league

I'd suggest using it as a backup if firstrow isnt available as it isnt quite as good although of course opinions may differ.

Its also well worth downloading the peer to peer 'Sopcast' software. look for the server 'Bloodzeed' absolutly fantastic HD picture with minimum breaking or buffering problems even in full screen mode. It even makes Everton look good! ( OK its not quite that good)

I have a ticket or two snuggly secreted away for the 28th so

If you want free footy then google my2p2.pe and you can go into the website and get it free.