mmmcrabpaste

Paying For The Transaction In Coins

36 posts in this topic

Was reading another post earlier about bitcoins and I was under the misconception of it actually being physical cash coins. :P

Question for the ladies (gents also), would you feel offended if a client (or embarassed if you were the client) was £5 short and managed to muster up the rest in shrapnel?

Nope, not at all, it all gets spent the same way! I've had £50 paid to me in pound coins before!

Was reading another post earlier about bitcoins and I was under the misconception of it actually being physical cash coins. :P

Question for the ladies (gents also), would you feel offended if a client (or embarassed if you were the client) was £5 short and managed to muster up the rest in shrapnel?

I was at a Party once and the punter paid in £1 coins, the host wasnt too impressed simply because of it being heavy compared with notes but he had no choice but to accept it as the guy said he had no notes on him. I never pay with anything but notes myself as they suit me. :)

Think I've added a fiver to make up an amount before and it was with a regular, no embarrassment.

I did however have a WG text me after an appointment asking me not to pay her with a fifty pound note. They are rather nice colour I think so I asked her why. "Where would a girl like me get a £50 note to spend in Tesco's" was her reply . . . :unsure:

Yup, fifties are difficult. Firstly, as your lady said, they attract interest and invite comment. You never get them out of the cashpoint, so if a friend sees you spending one , you have to field the 'Oooh, a fifty? Get you! Where'd you get that?' comments.

Secondly they can actually be bloody hard to get rid of, as a lot of places are reluctant to take them! In this day and age where we pay all of our big bills by direct debit, the weekly shop really is the only time you spend that much cash in one go (unless of course you have a shoe and handbag habit **whistles innocently**).

Back to the OP though, coins are fine. It's all money.... although I'd rather not have some funny guy turning up with it all in pennies!

But fifties are so much easier to hide in a card on a dinner date. And I tend to go all OCD counting, recounting and then recounting again how much money I've got in case I'm one note over or under the correct fee when I've only got tens and twenties.

Oh fine, I'll just hand over a brown envelope bursting with £20s, I don't care if the other diners know what we're up to. :angry:

Geez, I'm sorry if I upset you. How about you just do whatever suits you best?

But fifties are so much easier to hide in a card on a dinner date. And I tend to go all OCD counting, recounting and then recounting again how much money I've got in case I'm one note over or under the correct fee when I've only got tens and twenties.

Oh fine, I'll just hand over a brown envelope bursting with £20s, I don't care if the other diners know what we're up to. :angry:

For goodness sake !!

Do you honestly think other diners know or even care what you have in your envelope ?

Most people are far too self absorbed, you could have a couple of freshly printed passports and they wouldn't know, provided their steak is to their liking.

I think it'd be fun (in the dinner date scenario) to hide the notes inside something in the form of a gift. Like a DVD case or a book.

"I got you a present... Yes, it's the hungry caterpillar...and he's been eating pictures of the queen"

I used to see a man who had a shop, and he lived over the premises. He would pay the full fee in £1 coins and 50p pieces in a little money bag. I did not mind because I knew he would pay me like that before I got there, and the change came in handy for school dinner money etc etc...

I went on an outcall late one night to a really big posh house standing in it's own grounds, off the beaten track..electric gates, and inside - oh my word, it was amazing. I could not get over the kitchen and how utterly beautiful it was. When it came for me to be paid the guy got a jar out of a wardrobe and we sat and counted the FULL fee in loose change. he had nothing to put it in either so it had to go in my handbag. Now that was a piss-take :(

I normally receive £20 notes, but I have no problem with £50's. Shops accept them readily. There is less taboo about fifty pound notes than there used to be.

Sounds like your punts cost huge amounts if you were to have brown envelopes bursting with £20s. In my case its usually 4-7 £20s so very straightforward to keep track of. I never pay using a £50 note as i never have any on me because i dont like such a big note, if you lose it your obviously £50 down rather than £20 and small shops often moan and take 5 minutes closely studying the note to ensure its not counterfeit. I never use envelopes either, just clearly and openly give the agreed money to the WG ensuring she clearly counts it to avoid any misunderstandings. :)

Yup, fifties are difficult. Firstly, as your lady said, they attract interest and invite comment. You never get them out of the cashpoint, so if a friend sees you spending one , you have to field the 'Oooh, a fifty? Get you! Where'd you get that?' comments.

Secondly they can actually be bloody hard to get rid of, as a lot of places are reluctant to take them! In this day and age where we pay all of our big bills by direct debit, the weekly shop really is the only time you spend that much cash in one go (unless of course you have a shoe and handbag habit **whistles innocently**).

Back to the OP though, coins are fine. It's all money.... although I'd rather not have some funny guy turning up with it all in pennies!

Why not put it in your bank account? After all, you all assure us you're declaring everything.

As for the original question, yes, I do feel a bizarrely inexplicable reluctance to use coins, even if it's a fiver in pound coins. I think there must be some unconscious template behind my punting behaviour, whereby the punt resembles a date - perhaps a first date - and so you don't want to look cheapskate. I usually check and double-check beforehand that I have the exact money in notes.

As it happens, I came unstuck the day before yesterday, when the actual session (and its cost) changed at the last minute, and I found myself having to dig into my pockets for the five in change. And I just hated doing it, even though it wasn't even a real punt, but an erotic massage that didn't even have a happy ending.

Edited by Mr. Bloom

I once read that in America there was a $2 note. It fell out of use as women would not use them as $2 was the fee of a prostitute- Gods knows when this was probably 19th century? So, maybe the £50 note is the new $2!

Paying in coins seems to me to show lack of preparation, or stinginess

Edited by Lessingham

On a similar note I've been wondering how a girl would take it if I asked to pay with HP, you know "I'll pay you a fiver now and five pounds a month for the next year, how about that".

Don't actually play on trying it, can't see it going down too well if they take me seriously, I'm a bit too deadpan for my own good.

On a similar note I've been wondering how a girl would take it if I asked to pay with HP, you know "I'll pay you a fiver now and five pounds a month for the next year, how about that".

Don't actually play on trying it, can't see it going down too well if they take me seriously, I'm a bit too deadpan for my own good.

Just like Tescos wouldnt let you walk out with their goods without paying for all of them WGs wont offer their services without receiving the agreed cash in its entirety. Off might be the second word some may say in reply to such a suggestion of credit i imagine. :D

I love getting £50s! I store them up and then spend on them on shopping. Selfridges never bats an eyelid when you pull them out.

I love getting £50s! I store them up and then spend on them on shopping. Selfridges never bats an eyelid when you pull them out.

I love £50ies also. They don't create much bulk, when hidden under the mattress, lol

Seriously though: I am just put them in the bank straight away, and even when I was paying with them, I never had any problems, or fnny looks..not even in the local newsagent.

I'be heard that some girls reluctant to take them, as it quite a high proportion of the fakes, but I never encountered it. There is more fakes of the £1 coins, (about one in 30), but then its not going to break your bank, lol. According to it: the client who paid Sarah Summers her fee in the £1 coins (assuming it was £160 at least) must have at least gave her 5 dodgies, without being aware of it.

I always feel delightfully happy when I fish one in my wallet. Just very interesting to look at it. I've got a collection of 6 now! They might be worth something in the future. :-)

Edited by Xenia

I'm with Xenia and Annabel - I love £50s. I don't actually get paid in them very often but when I do, I love looking at them :D There's no problem at all with £50s, but I don't try and spend them, I just bank them.

As for coins - I'm not sure I'd be too impressed with somebody who tried to pay this way. If it was a small amount to make up the difference then yes (pound coins to make up a tenner, for example), but any more than that would make me a bit resentful. I know it's all legal tender but really, is there any need to pay with coins? (especially when these days most supermarkets have those machines where you can empty your jar of coins in and get crisp new notes out).

Edited by The Woman in White

I would like to psy in those old white fivers,just to see the reaction LOL.

How many of you remember them,come on you oldies.!!

Sorry made a typo should be pay not psy.

Just like Tescos wouldnt let you walk out with their goods without paying for all of them WGs wont offer their services without receiving the agreed cash in its entirety. Off might be the second word some may say in reply to such a suggestion of credit i imagine. :D

Would be entirely in jest of course, but I've got a good poker face and would be worried about getting a thump before I could tell her I was joking. I'm only little after all.

Sorry made a typo should be pay not psy.

You know you can edit your posts, don't you, for things like that, or even make more extensive modifications?

If I'm paying for a long punt, say, over £500 then I usually pay in fifties. For the shorter one or two hour punts then it's twenties from the cash dispenser. Nobody's ever moaned.

You know you can edit your posts, don't you, for things like that, or even make more extensive modifications?

Steady Mr Bloom one thing at a time,only just learnt how to switch the bloody thing on!!

Only coins £1 or greater are legal tender in the uk, at any amount. Silver and bronze have relatively small limits.

I recall when I was a kid, the bus driver refused to accept bronze for the bus ticket, so I had to walk home.