Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve2

Maid Fined £9991

9 posts in this topic

So what would normally happen if in 6 months time the maid were unemployed and on benefits and so unable to pay the £9991?

In any event, how accurate is the £9991 figure likely to be?

Is the judge really saying that while the appropriate punishment for the "crime" itself is a community order - that the punishment for not paying into the court the "wages" she earned merely as a result of the "crime" could be a prison sentence. If so, this seems wholly disproportionate and also double counting to me.

One crucial point for a WG working in a brothel to bear in mind is never answer the phone or help out in a maid/receptionist role like i know happens at some places as it could lead to this. If the manager/owner asks refuse is my advice.

Ultimately its a riduculous scenario to happen as many brothels are tolerated for years but now with POCA the police have cash machines to go to when they feel the need to get money. :)

So what would normally happen if in 6 months time the maid were unemployed and on benefits and so unable to pay the £9991?

In any event, how accurate is the £9991 figure likely to be?

Is the judge really saying that while the appropriate punishment for the "crime" itself is a community order - that the punishment for not paying into the court the "wages" she earned merely as a result of the "crime" could be a prison sentence. If so, this seems wholly disproportionate and also double counting to me.

Firstly despite the heading - this isn't a fine. It's a Proceeds of Crime Act hearing where criminals are ordered to pay back what is deemed to have been obtained by their criminal activity. A POCA hearing will have determined that this lady has £9991 in assets that she can pay back and that is how the figure has been arrived at. It may have no relation to the sentence for the original offence. I attach a short link where a man stole £219 of petrol and ended up paying £1.5 million pounds.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/163_1_5m_cost_of_stealing_petrol_1_320921"

Somebody please explain to me how some get caught and charged yet others continue to profit from running brothels and agencies. This is not an anti brothel or agency comment more an observance of a selective judicial system.

Somebody please explain to me how some get caught and charged yet others continue to profit from running brothels and agencies. This is not an anti brothel or agency comment more an observance of a selective judicial system.

Perhaps the police havent yet received complaints from neighbours or the anti-prostitution lobby in areas where the top cop tolerates brothels. Perhaps the top cop is waiting for the brothel to make the money they estimate it will make before raiding under POCA so as to maximise what they get. Perhaps police in some brothel tolerant areas get back handers and/or brown envelopes. :)

Perhaps the police havent yet received complaints from neighbours or the anti-prostitution lobby in areas where the top cop tolerates brothels. Perhaps the top cop is waiting for the brothel to make the money they estimate it will make before raiding under POCA so as to maximise what they get. Perhaps police in some brothel tolerant areas get back handers and/or brown envelopes. :)

It does seem that way Smiths, corrupt to the core. Which seems par for the course in everything these days.

Firstly despite the heading - this isn't a fine. It's a Proceeds of Crime Act hearing where criminals are ordered to pay back what is deemed to have been obtained by their criminal activity. A POCA hearing will have determined that this lady has £9991 in assets that she can pay back and that is how the figure has been arrived at. It may have no relation to the sentence for the original offence. I attach a short link where a man stole £219 of petrol and ended up paying £1.5 million pounds.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/163_1_5m_cost_of_stealing_petrol_1_320921"

Very interesting.

Despite this being a serious matter, I can't help but be a little amused by the newspaper's apparent mistake in referring to the maid being ordered to pay back £9991 during a "Proceeds of Coming" hearing, rather than a "Proceeds of Crime" hearing. Good job the reporter didn't misspell "Coming" as "Cumming". http://punternet.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif