mike52

Techie Help For Someone Useless At That Stuff

5 posts in this topic

I need techie help, it's not punting but I would be glad of assistance thanks. I've got posters in publisher files or as PDF files and want to put them on the net so I can put links to them in mailshots I'm sending to punters. Put it as simple as possible please? Much thanks and I owe you a pint, Mike

For PDF files (I don't know about publisher files) you could create a free google mail account (if you don't have a suitable one already), then open a Google Docs account with it, which is easy to do.

You can then upload your pdfs into Google Docs and set the permissions so that anyone can see them, and in doing so, it will generate a web link to the file that you can cut and paste into an email.

Someone else may be able to help with publisher files, I don't know if google docs can handle them or if some special software is needed to view.

For PDF files (I don't know about publisher files) you could create a free google mail account (if you don't have a suitable one already), then open a Google Docs account with it, which is easy to do.

You can then upload your pdfs into Google Docs and set the permissions so that anyone can see them, and in doing so, it will generate a web link to the file that you can cut and paste into an email.

Someone else may be able to help with publisher files, I don't know if google docs can handle them or if some special software is needed to view.

Thanks Hampton, that's wonderful.

Regarding the publisher documents you can just open them up in Microsoft publisher and then just save them as PDF and then use the same google docs method as suggested above.

It would be best doing this as PDF is a static document.

To do this is depending on which version of publisher you are running. I believe 2010 has the ability to save as PDF as part of the software, but if you are using 2007, 2003 or earlier you can download free addons from Microsoft to save the pub docs as PDF. Here is one for 2007 (am not certain but it may work for 2003 too).

Save a publication as a PDF file or an XPS file

You can also use Photoshop to open a PDF, reduce it in size from 300 to 72dpi, and then save as a jpeg file which can use less space for web use.

Not sure if any other photo editing programs can take in PDFs.