Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
touch79

Special Treatment Licences

8 posts in this topic

It would seem that most councils now require that a Special Treatment Licence be obtained by any person offering any kind of massage and using their own premises.

Also, that any therapist/masseuse is required to be registered with the council.

The cost of these licences run into several hundred pounds but vary according to your Local Authority.

Therefore, any person offering massage, other than those doing out-calls only, would need to have a Special Treatments Licence.

Now I'm sure that the legislation was implemented on Health & Safety grounds and is probably largely unnecessary but, in reality, how many masseuses are obtaining correct licences?

Beauty salons? Probably.

Independents working from home? Unlikely

Medical Centres? Maybe some but most probably won't have.

Massage Parlours? Very unlikely.

Of course the above is an assumption, but if correct, how is it that so many massage establishments are getting away with not having a licence? Are they unaware? Are the council unaware?

Or are the councils just turning a blind eye as finding masseuses without licences should be a relatively easy task.

And then what of the penalties? I would imagine operating without a licence is a criminal offence so there is the potential for very severe consequences.

It would seem that most councils now require that a Special Treatment Licence be obtained by any person offering any kind of massage and using their own premises.

Also, that any therapist/masseuse is required to be registered with the council.

The cost of these licences run into several hundred pounds but vary according to your Local Authority.

Therefore, any person offering massage, other than those doing out-calls only, would need to have a Special Treatments Licence.

Now I'm sure that the legislation was implemented on Health & Safety grounds and is probably largely unnecessary but, in reality, how many masseuses are obtaining correct licences?

Beauty salons? Probably.

Independents working from home? Unlikely

Medical Centres? Maybe some but most probably won't have.

Massage Parlours? Very unlikely.

Of course the above is an assumption, but if correct, how is it that so many massage establishments are getting away with not having a licence? Are they unaware? Are the council unaware?

Or are the councils just turning a blind eye as finding masseuses without licences should be a relatively easy task.

And then what of the penalties? I would imagine operating without a licence is a criminal offence so there is the potential for very severe consequences.

The Lord helps those that help themselves! I've never heard of such a licence - if you've met the thing, you wouldn't like to have a quick look at it, and cite the legislation under which it purports to be issued would you?

My own guess would be that it is not a Health & Safety matter, but more likely a general local authority powers statute.

The Lord helps those that help themselves! I've never heard of such a licence - if you've met the thing, you wouldn't like to have a quick look at it, and cite the legislation under which it purports to be issued would you?

My own guess would be that it is not a Health & Safety matter, but more likely a general local authority powers statute.

Some local authorities require premises to have a Massage and Special Treatment licence from the local authority. Those in London are governed by the London Local Authorities Act 1991 (as amended).

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukla/1991/13/section/14/enacted

It's not difficult to find authorities that do not require premises to be licensed, especially outside London.

Nottingham and its environs have such licences - they relate to local bye-laws which govern everything from issue of fast food licences to lap-dancing clubs. In the case of massage parlours every establishment has to have a local authority issued licence which details that each premise offering such treatment must have certificated masseuses and that such certificates must be prominently displayed on the premises, that all masseuses must wear a white smock buttoned to the neck etc. etc. As you know Nottingham has always been at the forefront of anti-vice legislation and by adopting this procedure they can simply close down premises by revoking their licences as indeed they have in the past.

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1368"

Edited by mega

Nottingham and its environs have such licences - they relate to local bye-laws which govern everything from issue of fast food licences to lap-dancing clubs. In the case of massage parlours every establishment has to have a local authority issued licence which details that each premise offering such treatment must have certificated masseuses and that such certificates must be prominently displayed on the premises, that all masseuses must wear a white smock buttoned to the neck etc. etc. As you know Nottingham has always been at the forefront of anti-vice legislation and by adopting this procedure they can simply close down premises by revoking their licences as indeed they have in the past.

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1368"

Ah, thank you. Not H&S, and just look at lovely Bye-Law 5 from 27 July 1953!

5. A licence holder shall not do, suffer, or permit in the establishment, any act of indecent or disorderly character and shall take all necessary steps to exclude from the establishment a customer or any other person who has committed such an act in the establishment. The licence holder shall not employ in the establishment any person who is of known immoral character and shall cause all persons in his employ engaged in the establishment to be decently and properly attired, and he shall not permit or suffer the door of any room or place in the establishment for the time being in use for the giving of massage or special treatment to be locked during the period that the person receiving massage or special treatment is therein.

Even then, it seems, they were trying to stop anything "naughty"!

Even then, it seems, they were trying to stop anything "naughty"!

And, further to the above, with respect this is OT! A red herring!

Look at the definition:“Massage or Special Treatment” means and includes (a)massage, or (B) electric treatment or radiant heat, light, electric vapour or other baths for therapeutic purposes, or © other similar treatment.

If a WG works from home, unless she choses to use the euphemism "massage", she is 100% legal, with no requirement for a licence.

If a Massage Parlour offers HR, it is a brothel, hence the management, landlord etc., can be prosecuted, even if they've been daft enough to put their heads above the parapet and get a Special Treatment Licence! If it offers only therapeutic massage, without even HR, or (remember these bye-laws date from Coronation Year, 1953) electric treatment or electric vapour, then I'd hope that it was reasonably safe, and inspected, with working fire escapes, but frankly, qua punters, none of our business.

And, further to the above, with respect this is OT! A red herring!

Look at the definition:“Massage or Special Treatment” means and includes (a)massage, or (B) electric treatment or radiant heat, light, electric vapour or other baths for therapeutic purposes, or © other similar treatment.

If a WG works from home, unless she choses to use the euphemism "massage", she is 100% legal, with no requirement for a licence.

If a Massage Parlour offers HR, it is a brothel, hence the management, landlord etc., can be prosecuted, even if they've been daft enough to put their heads above the parapet and get a Special Treatment Licence! If it offers only therapeutic massage, without even HR, or (remember these bye-laws date from Coronation Year, 1953) electric treatment or electric vapour, then I'd hope that it was reasonably safe, and inspected, with working fire escapes, but frankly, qua punters, none of our business.

In Nottingham the Council took the step of sending undercover officers to registered premises and should anything untoward be offered it was a simple step to remove the licence and thus close the premises. This is why Nottingham has so few parlours compared to other cities. The "white smock buttoned to the neck" mentioned in my previous post was the city council's interpretation of being "decently and properly attired." If you think that these conditions are draconian you should read the rules and conditions for obtaining a sex entertainment licence in the city - also to be found on the city council website. The City Council have made up their mind to be moral guardians of the masses whilst ignoring more pressing problems of gun crime, drugs, sink estates etc. etc. - they were censured for maladministration by the local government ombudsman after failing to grant a lapdance club licence for totally spurious reasons.

An update on this - there are new rules on licensing in Nottingham here:-

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/article/22311/Massage

I especially like the differential in fees between "part body massage" and "full body massage".

I can remember that a certain local authority sent trading standards officers to premises to ensure that strippers were taking their clothes off.  Will Nottingham City Council be trawling Adultwork to ensure that every massage practitioner has registered with the local authority and got a licence. In times of local authority cuts I see a lucrative source of income opening up - in fact I might apply for the job of investigating officer!   :D