Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Irgendeiner

Curfew Tags

4 posts in this topic

There's a thread running about a WG on "another well known adult board" who is (apparently) happy to post photographs of herself wearing what looks like a cheap filling station grey plastic watch on her ankle. There was also an amusing story in the Press last week about one of the Private Security contractors sacking two of its people, because they'd let a bloke con them into tagging his wooden leg. When he was recalled to prison on account of some driving offence, 2 + 2 suddenly came to 4 and they wondered why the computer was still happy that he was at home watching telly!

Does anybody here have any idea how the things work?

I've got walking GPSs, Camera GPSs and a box to stick on my windscreen, all of which are small, battery powered, and only receive signals from the constellation of 31 satellites belting round 20,200 km up. While I'm still staggered that such a small aerial can pick up usable signals over that range in my pocket, I accept that it works.

But the tag on the ankle cannot be expected to transmit a signal, can it? Where does GPS come into the act? I sort-of understand how the location of a mobile telephone, transmitting its steady "Hullo, I'm here!" signal can be calculated by triangulation of signal strength between several ground stations, but how is a criminal located? Is the tag passive, only reflecting a signal when illuminated by a transmitter, or what? Does it have batteries, and, if so, how long do they last?

I don't actually find the WG in question particularly attractive (leaving aside whether she's been tagged for punter-mugging!!) , so the next question is purely hypothetical, but, can a tag wearer have a bath with the thing on?

http://www.jigsawvisitorscentre.org.uk/pages/homedetention.html

How does it work?

A small electronic ‘tag’ is fitted to the ankle. The tag sends a regular signal to a monitoring centre that confirms the presence of the person in their place of curfew. If they are absent or try to tamper with the equipment the monitoring centre is alerted and the breach investigated.

And...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_tagging

Edited by Mr Jones

They are waterproof in the event that the offender should decide to have a bath or shower. Having said that, they often don't work in the bath, especially metal baths. They're also easy to remove, and they rely on the O2 mobile system so they don't work if O2 is down or if there's no signal in the area.

I am much wiser now! Very many thanks to both of my brethren for reducing the depth of my ignorance!

And, at least in the UK, it isn't GPS technology atall.