mrrightnow

How Many Guys Admit Punting At Gum Clinic?

58 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I understand other threads may have touched on aspects of this; but would like to start one which pulls these together.

I've been an occasional punter for about eight and a half years but would like to become more active.

When I've been for routine GUM exams in the past I've been handed a 'Pre-HIV Test Questionnaire'. This asked things like whether I take drugs/sleep with other men etc; but also whether I was a punter. It was quite clear that a 'Yes' to any of the questions would result in a referal to a counsellor. To be honest, I took the line mentioned in several threads, ie. tell them what I'd done not with whom.

On one occasion, everyone was screened by the counsellor regardless, who asked for recent sexual history. Mentioned a couple of BJ's without RO. Was then asked if this was with WG's? Again, answered indirectly or a "need to know" basis.

Apart from the title question, what I would like to know is when I go for another exam there or elsewhere, if I answer "yes" to punting will this result in:

• HBV and/or HPV vaccines, (which is what I would like)
  • Lecture or worse

Many thanks.

I've confessed to seeing WGs when visiting a GUM clinic :o

You'll probably see the acronym CSW (commercial sex worker) being written on your file against the list of people with whom you've had sexual contact. I haven't experienced any sanctimonious or judgmental behaviour or attitude. Others may have different experiences, but for me it was all very matter of fact.

Edited by TheVicar

Always told them Ive paid for sex. Never had a problem.

They usually go through what you did on your previous sexual encounters, dont need to give names, I just give the nationality. (Sometimes needed more space on the form as Im reeling them off B) )

Havent had a lecture. Most Ive got is that I should do OW instead of OWO. Thats it. Thats the easy part before she sticks a swab in your japs eye while you still have a full bladder for the urine tests...

Think where healths concerned its best to always be honest, no matter how embarressing you think it might be.

Edited by Overworked

Always been honest, never had a problem, always found the staff to be very understanding and non-judgemental.

The hardest part was when she asked how many sexual partners i'd had in the last 6 months and i'm sitting thinking 10, 20, 30...40 even....hmmm, need to go home and get out my records and i can tell you exactly :lol:

Yes, never had any issues with be straightforward; other than the six to eight week waiting time we have for the appointments in Hull.

Edited by WykeTyke

The only jab you might get is the Hep B vaccination.

We all have it and I know regular visitors of WGs are recommended it in the clinic I go to in Manc.

When I went to the GUM Clinic in Manchester I was not asked whether I paid for sex, if I was then I would have said yes.

Yes, never had any issues with be straightforward; other than the six to eight week waiting time we have for the appointments in Hull.

That's a hell of a long wait. All sorts of things could develop in that time. I was under the impression that you could drop in without an appointment.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Update, (just in case anyone else is unsure):

Decided to start again with the one in the next town. Missed the walk-in session; but asked the receptionist about the vaccine, as that was what I gone there for this time. She was genuinely under the impression this was not administered on site.

Managed to locate a hepatitis nurse on out-patients who looks after drug addicts. She sent me straight back to GUM with a word in my idea that anyone wanting vaccination should claim to be gay or a punter! So that answers that one.

Back at GUM reception had a chat going into reasons; but after lengthy discussions outside the room, I had to go through it all again with the nurse. She appeared completely unmoved by my lifestyle choices. Not sure if they then suspected I was just trying it on to get the vaccine; but said she would only vaccinate the girls or drug addicts due to funding constraints.

So on reflection, although the terminology used by both nurses possibly suggested a slightly out-dated attitude; your problem at this clinic would not be getting any grief; but whether or not they believe you.

That's a hell of a long wait. All sorts of things could develop in that time. I was under the impression that you could drop in without an appointment.

Quite! Mines only 2 days waiting when booking. Phone monday morning, get appointment for Wednesday. Done.

Also do a walk ins too but cant be bothered with that.

Better to book and then have a long break from work as its a "doctors appointment"

Edited by Overworked

Just looking at the title.....and one of the joys of the English language being double meanings make this a rather amusing topic :lol:

I mean....did you have the punt in the waiting room?? Or in the private rooms in front of the doctor/nurse?? And did you punt with some random girl you met in the waiting room, or arrange to meet a WG there?? :lol:

If it was a random girl...were you not worried what she was there for?? :lol:

Edited by partylover

Quite! Mines only 2 days waiting when booking. Phone monday morning, get appointment for Wednesday. Done.

Also do a walk ins too but cant be bothered with that.

Better to book and then have a long break from work as its a "doctors appointment"

This is most probably a result of the new government targets. That is that anyone showing symptoms, or wishing to have a GUM check-up is to be seen within 48 hours. Result was at my local clinic they had to start offering appointments every other day(instead of once a week) and weren't releasing appointments until the session before. This is fine if you can arrange time off at short notice, but not everyone can do so. Even WGs might have advance bookings lined up a day or two in advance. Not sure if "Sorry can't see you today off to the GUM" at confirmation time is going to go down very well. I suppose they are only trying to improve though, so mustn'e grumble!

I went today for the first time, decided it was about time I got checked. I admitted to having sex with three woman in the past 4 months and paying for sex although didn't admit to how many times, I had paid the four women in the past 6 months. One question that threw me was what countries girls were from that I had ever had sex with. Crikey o'reilly I thought, I have spent the last 25 years travelling the word and have had reasonable sexual success doing so. I admitted to USA, Brazil, Germany, Hong Kong, South Africa and Australia and said oh there must be others as well to give her an idea of the breadth!

I was asked if I wanted the Hep B jabs and I readily accepted.

However, I was surprised at the time lapse, the urine test wouldn't show anything caught in the past 2 weeks and the blood test in the past 3 months. That's a hell of a lag.

but what was truly un nerving was the fact the female doctor was stunning and I had just confessed to paying for sex.

One question that threw me was what countries girls were from that I had ever had sex with. Crikey o'reilly I thought, I have spent the last 25 years travelling the word and have had reasonable sexual success doing so. I admitted to USA, Brazil, Germany, Hong Kong, South Africa and Australia

Does anyone know the reason why they ask this?

I was asked if I wanted the Hep B jabs and I readily accepted.

Which clinic was that, please?

How many guys admit punting at a GUM clinic?

I would guess very few have punted at a GUM clinic, much less admitted to it afterwards. Even if their fave WG was offering a quickie behind the curtain with a special discount while waiting for her test results. I've punted on a floor, in a bathroom, in a car park, and once on a beach. But never in a GUM clinic.

:)

Mr riightnow, The reason they ask for the countries is because they do have data on rates of prevalence of certain diseased in some of the countries - e.g. HIV, chlamydia etc. and they may be able to judge the risk of any one particuar exposure.

You mentioned HPV vaccine in your starting post - you will typically not get that on the NHS unless you were a virgin / very limited sexual exposure. Studies have shown that it is not particularly effective in those who have had reasonable sexual exposure. Most sexually active people have antibodies to some forms of the HPV. The vaccine is thus not able to produce the size and type of the immune response it would in those not exposed. So, the likelihood that it would benefit you are vastly reduced. You can still get the vaccine privately, but there is no telling whether it would be particularly effective.

Mr riightnow, The reason they ask for the countries is because they do have data on rates of prevalence of certain diseased in some of the countries - e.g. HIV, chlamydia etc. and they may be able to judge the risk of any one particuar exposure.

They still need to do the test, as all these diseases can be contracted in all countries.

I suspect they ask for the information for statistical purposes, as it is of no diagnostic value.

I am interested in what happens at a GUM clinic - can you go anonymously, or use a pseudonym ?

If not, do they contact your GP or is it completely self-contained in terms of what they do with the information.

Havent had a lecture. Most Ive got is that I should do OW instead of OWO. Thats it. Thats the easy part before she sticks a swab in your japs eye while you still have a full bladder for the urine tests...

Have they ever mentioned reverse O without?

I am interested in what happens at a GUM clinic - can you go anonymously, or use a pseudonym ?

If not, do they contact your GP or is it completely self-contained in terms of what they do with the information.

You can use a made up name, and date of birth - but remember to make a note of your "date of birth", as they will ask you for your dob to confirm your id on subsequent visits.

You do not have to complete your GP details, they do not insist on that info, so it can be self-contained if that is what you wish.

You can use a made up name, and date of birth - but remember to make a note of your "date of birth", as they will ask you for your dob to confirm your id on subsequent visits.

You do not have to complete your GP details, they do not insist on that info, so it can be self-contained if that is what you wish.

What if you test positive? For stds, none HIV, I suppose you can remain anonymous, but for something like HIV, surely one would need to give NI number at least?

What if you test positive? For stds, none HIV, I suppose you can remain anonymous, but for something like HIV, surely one would need to give NI number at least?

You still need to give a means by which they can contact you, such as a mobile number.

I don't know regarding the need to give an NI number, the issue hasn't arisen in my experience.

This is most probably a result of the new government targets. That is that anyone showing symptoms, or wishing to have a GUM check-up is to be seen within 48 hours. Result was at my local clinic they had to start offering appointments every other day(instead of once a week) and weren't releasing appointments until the session before. This is fine if you can arrange time off at short notice, but not everyone can do so. Even WGs might have advance bookings lined up a day or two in advance. Not sure if "Sorry can't see you today off to the GUM" at confirmation time is going to go down very well. I suppose they are only trying to improve though, so mustn'e grumble!

The standard within NHS clinics for a while has been that people requesting a GUM appointment should be offered an appopintment time within 48 hours of the request. The client has the right to decline the offer and choose a time more convenient to them even if outside the 48 hour time span.

I'm a bit confused. So are there "drop-in" centres in the NHS, or does it depend where you are ?

If anyone has any recommendations as to what might be a good one to go to in central London (in terms of efficiency, discretion etc) it would be interesting to hear

The standard within NHS clinics for a while has been that people requesting a GUM appointment should be offered an appopintment time within 48 hours of the request. The client has the right to decline the offer and choose a time more convenient to them even if outside the 48 hour time span.

Thank you for this information, I had to heavily lean on them in order to get them to open up later appointments for me.