Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrrightnow

Private Vaccinations For Punters

7 posts in this topic

I am thinking of getting the HPV and HBV vaccines, (possibly combined with HCV).

Men don't get the HPV vaccines on the NHS of course - or the HBV where I live - and I wouldn't save anything by explaining why I want them to my village GP, so I would appreciate any info on the private clinics such as:

1. How do I know a clinic is reputable?
  2. Do the prices differ from one clinic to another?
  3. Gardasil vs others, (benefits and possible side effects
    [*}Timescale involved, (in getting both types)

If any punter has had the HBV vaccine on the NHS anywhere near Coventry/Milton Keynes, I might be able to go to another clinic for that.

Many thanks.

Go talk to your GUM clinic. If you have been sexually active, HPV vaccine is NOT particularly effective - as you will have some antibodies already. Most warts are treatable.

You can get your HBV vaccine through them - just be honest about your sexual practices. The HCV vaccine is still in development.

Hope that helps.

Go talk to your GUM clinic. If you have been sexually active, HPV vaccine is NOT particularly effective - as you will have some antibodies already. Most warts are treatable.

Thanks for your advice. I did try one NHS clinic.

I've read as much about Gardasil, etc as I can and think, for me, it would be worth having before I get into more F/S punting, etc.

Although I have not had warts, I used to think that they were not a serious concern; but having heard about the links to various types of cancer here and elsewhere, I feel sure they are worth avoiding if possible.

"Bump"

It's HBV combined with hep A, (HAV?) I am trying to get. Has anyone had this on NHS?

I have not been able to find enough info on vaccines apart from HBV.

Any Advice, AA5B?

I'm not an expert, nor connected with any clinic. If I mention any vaccine name I get banned because this site thinks I am trying to sell something. :(

There are many types of HPV, it's unlikely that you have been exposed to all four of the dangerous ones that vaccine X protects against. There is no harm in having it (other than usual vaccine risks). Treatment for warts is not pleasant (not that I had ever needed it). They can re-occur.

"Bump"

It's HBV combined with hep A, (HAV?) I am trying to get. Has anyone had this on NHS?

I have not been able to find enough info on vaccines apart from HBV.

Any Advice, AA5B?

I think you can get Hep A vaccine from your GP FOC (e.g. if you are travelling to certain countries where the risk is higher for transmission through water etc...) - it has been a while now, so maybe it is not free anymore.

AA5B,

As far as HBV is concerned, there's no need to mention any brand names because I know which vaccine I would need. I even have a clinic in mind; I'm just unsure how to verify that it is reputable.

Apparently they used to have a link in the support section of 'Saafe'. They also have an online forum which provides advice to punters.

What I don't know is how much I should be prepared to pay for a private combined hepatitis vaccine. I'm sure it is worthwhile; but I wouldn't want to get "ripped off", not least because I feel this would raise other concerns about the establishment.

I think you can get Hep A vaccine from your GP FOC (e.g. if you are travelling to certain countries where the risk is higher for transmission through water etc...)

I'm registered with a family GP, so I wouldn't concoct a story about overseas travel because it seems like something which could be idly mentioned to others and cause awkwardness.

I take it you refer to drinking water; as opposed to bathing water?