Beenaboutabit

Power Cuts

14 posts in this topic

Some time ago I had an electrical fault in the house that caused loss of power on two occasions, and the pc was switched on each time. Following the second the sound went awol - the control linked to the speakers didn't show the red 'on' light. Very shortly (minutes) afterwards the wireless mouse and keyboard packed in - the cursor suddenly parked itself in the centre of the screen and stayed there.

I've put up with no sound and used a spare keyboard and mouse (wired type) with no problems.

However, I now want to sort it out but would like an inkling of what might have happened before I go as a lamb to the slaughter via a pc repair fella. Are there such things as in-line fuses within the pc or peripherals that might have gone or am I looking at some mega damage? If so another comp might be a better option. Cheers.

Some time ago I had an electrical fault in the house that caused loss of power on two occasions, and the pc was switched on each time. Following the second the sound went awol - the control linked to the speakers didn't show the red 'on' light. Very shortly (minutes) afterwards the wireless mouse and keyboard packed in - the cursor suddenly parked itself in the centre of the screen and stayed there.

I've put up with no sound and used a spare keyboard and mouse (wired type) with no problems.

However, I now want to sort it out but would like an inkling of what might have happened before I go as a lamb to the slaughter via a pc repair fella. Are there such things as in-line fuses within the pc or peripherals that might have gone or am I looking at some mega damage? If so another comp might be a better option. Cheers.

(Covers himself) without, of course, looking at your installation, or asking for a call-out fee.....

I guess that you have been buggered by some variety of electric spike coming down the power-line (lightning or similar). You, presumably, use neither an uninterruptable power supply, nor a lap-top? Depending on your trade and the importance of your PC to you these might be a way to avoid future problems? There are plug boards which come with spike filters - some cost an arm and a leg, and say (I don't believe it would work, but...) that their insurance will cover you if it blows, and others are cheaper

I assume that your speakers were USB as well as the mouse and Keyboard?

Try re-installing or updating the USB drivers.

My cordless mouse goes AWOL from time to time.

could the reciever and keyboard/mouse just have become unsynced ?

there is normally a button on the bottom of the base, and one on the bottom (underside) of keyb and mouse. Normally you press the one on the base and a light flashes, then the one on the keyb/mouse and the flashes speed up

(Covers himself) without, of course, looking at your installation, or asking for a call-out fee.....

I guess that you have been buggered by some variety of electric spike coming down the power-line (lightning or similar). You, presumably, use neither an uninterruptable power supply, nor a lap-top? Depending on your trade and the importance of your PC to you these might be a way to avoid future problems? There are plug boards which come with spike filters - some cost an arm and a leg, and say (I don't believe it would work, but...) that their insurance will cover you if it blows, and others are cheaper

well ebuyer do a belkin one £7.83 plus delivery isn't that expensive, and has a 325k connected equipment warranty. but saying that they could argue that the spike came in via your phone line (you can get some that cover that to, about £5 extra), but these tend to lower the adsl speed

Hi to all, and many thanks for your responses. I am looking to follow the advice in them and will return if I get any progress good or bad.

Thus far; the extension lead to the pc is surge protected (not spike?), the mouse/keyboard control is USB (MS Model 1010)and the pc was built for me 7years ago so I don't have a manual etc, but do have all the disks pertaining to it. The speakers are not USB, they have a separate plug with adapter(Creative Labs) via the extension lead and sound failed marginally before the mouse/keyboard.

The electricity failure was due to a faulty socket elsewhere in the house which was surprising because the whole place was checked out three years ago to get an electricity certificate for house insurance and I have done nothing since to the system in any way. Nevertheless, I'm sure it caused the problem, the timing was bang on! Cheers

ps. No offence to you, Irgendeiner, I hadn't realised your calling. It's just that down here in the sticks I get used to anyone who does anything wanting >£60 just for treading on my doormat and although the pc is great (even now) and the sound - 5 speakers - enough to lift you out of your chair, I get the feeling an upgrade (the unit is a cavernous box to allow for expansion/upgrade) or replacement is due, and I might be as well cut my losses if major damage, beyond my ken, has been done. :)

Thus far; the extension lead to the pc is surge protected (not spike?), the mouse/keyboard control is USB (MS Model 1010)and the pc was built for me 7years ago so I don't have a manual etc, but do have all the disks pertaining to it. The speakers are not USB, they have a separate plug with adapter(Creative Labs) via the extension lead and sound failed marginally before the mouse/keyboard.

The electricity failure was due to a faulty socket elsewhere in the house which was surprising because the whole place was checked out three years ago to get an electricity certificate for house insurance and I have done nothing since to the system in any way. Nevertheless, I'm sure it caused the problem, the timing was bang on! Cheers

Surge spike, same difference really in this case. I don't really see how a fault on a socket circuit would cause a spike that these could protect against. More than likley windows has just got itself in a state with being restarted (by power being intermittant) to often

Have you tried running scandisk/chkdsk ?

Does device manager see the sound card ? anything there with red or yellow icons ?

Firstly definitely do not pay a PC repair technician for this problem.

Firstly regarding the speakers are they ones which draw power from the mains or via the PC itself? If its the former and the power light is not showing first port of call would be to try a different fuse in the mains plug.

The wireless mouse and Keyboard are these wifi or bluetooth? Usually the receiver which connects to the usb port lights up at every key stroke or mouse movement so you can rule out some problems if this is still lighting up or not.

But have you tried the basics first, trying a different USB port; possibly one on the rear of the PC as these are part of motherboard itself so are more power stable as opposed to the front PC USB ports which are simply connected to a header on the motherboard.

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers for the mouse/keyboard?

If you go to device manager (Right click on my computer on the desktop then select device manager) are there any yellow exclamation marks next to anything - USB controller, the mouse/keyboard etc if so just clicking on that device and then selecting to update driver can fix it.

Or you can just go to the manufacturers website of the mouse/keyboard you have and download the latest driver for the mouse/keyboard.

I'm watching and following some of the advice as and when I'm able but I ran into other difficulties of even greater urgency over the weekend, and there may or not be a connection. I found out that I couldn't contact any Microsoft's sites and nor could I launch McAfee to do a manual scan.

I tried to download Chrome but I found myself unable to download anything and make it work - they were on the pc but could not be brought to the screen. I deleted McAfee (it's through BT so I can download as and when) and optimistically tried to download AVG (free) and was successful. It scanned everwhere and found dozens of problems which I happily sent to the vault or had AVG heal them automatically. BUT now I cannot launch Internet Explorer, the button is there but it fails to do anything other than make a half-hearted attempt to start before dying back - yet I can get onto the internet via Firefox.

I'll be in touch with BT today and take one thing at a time before I get back to soundlessness etc. Cheers.

I'm watching and following some of the advice as and when I'm able but I ran into other difficulties of even greater urgency over the weekend, and there may or not be a connection. I found out that I couldn't contact any Microsoft's sites and nor could I launch McAfee to do a manual scan.

I tried to download Chrome but I found myself unable to download anything and make it work - they were on the pc but could not be brought to the screen. I deleted McAfee (it's through BT so I can download as and when) and optimistically tried to download AVG (free) and was successful. It scanned everywhere and found dozens of problems which I happily sent to the vault or had AVG heal them automatically. BUT now I cannot launch Internet Explorer, the button is there but it fails to do anything other than make a half-hearted attempt to start before dying back - yet I can get onto the internet via Firefox.

I'll be in touch with BT today and take one thing at a time before I get back to soundlessness etc. Cheers.

It sounds like a serious corruption of Windows to be honest. And this would explain most, or if not all your other problems.

The list of malware AVG found is also not a good sign.

To be honest when its this far gone I would do one of two things.

1. Post on a professional PC support forum and they will get you to run hijack this and go through it. I could make some suggestions off it but it would be best to get some people who are experts with this software as if you delete the wrong component it can make things worse.

2. The one I would do is just copy the important info off the drive to an external drive or burn it to a disk and then just wipe the hard drive and revert back to the new state.

You can do this via either if your PC came with a recovery disk or recovery partition to set it back to an as new condition.

Or if you get the windows key you were using you can download the latest version of windows from the net and install with this (when you buy windows you only buy the licence key so its perfectly ok to download the latest version from the internet and use your key to register it).

This would also be advisable as likely some service packs will have been released for your version of windows and these will be preintegrated (Windows 7 has an SP1 version now for example.

If you had this much malware as you describe reinstalling as new will also speed the PC right up it will feel like a new PC.

It sounds like a serious corruption of Windows to be honest. And this would explain most, or if not all your other problems.

The list of malware AVG found is also not a good sign.

To be honest when its this far gone I would do one of two things.

1. Post on a professional PC support forum and they will get you to run hijack this and go through it. I could make some suggestions off it but it would be best to get some people who are experts with this software as if you delete the wrong component it can make things worse.

2. The one I would do is just copy the important info off the drive to an external drive or burn it to a disk and then just wipe the hard drive and revert back to the new state.

You can do this via either if your PC came with a recovery disk or recovery partition to set it back to an as new condition.

Or if you get the windows key you were using you can download the latest version of windows from the net and install with this (when you buy windows you only buy the licence key so its perfectly ok to download the latest version from the internet and use your key to register it).

This would also be advisable as likely some service packs will have been released for your version of windows and these will be preintegrated (Windows 7 has an SP1 version now for example.

If you had this much malware as you describe reinstalling as new will also speed the PC right up it will feel like a new PC.

Many thanks. To update you - AVG cannot get updated, it is not receiving automatic updates nor can I request them manually. Looking at the vast array of the info it has generated about the problems it has found, the gremlin appears to be Win32/Zbot. No doubt that will mean something to you, it didn't to me but does a little now having read about it on the net.

I have other things that in the light of this I may as well have done by a pro. With the best will in the world I could do more harm than good if any cure goes beyond getting a download (which I can't) or buying a disk with a virus(Zbot)remover on it and all I have to do is load. I've had for some time additional ram to add and the hard drive is split in curious proportions (I think) and those could be changed while the other problems are also sorted. It's either that or a new comp and if that idea finds favour in the next day or two a laptop might be the way. Unfortunately in that respect I particularly don't like the keyboards on laptops etc as I rattle along in fine style on split keyboards or standard when I'm writing screeds, but find the roller ball mouse and the flat keyboard of a laptop not so suited to my old hands/brain!!

I'll keep you all informed and thanks for your time and effort, it's much appreciated. It's a pity you don't have a more useful pupil. :)

I am a very humbled poster! My pc is up and running, with far better performance then hitherto. It was collected by an extremely pleasant young man who made little of the problems that sounded so terminal to my non-techie mind and as I type the speakers are belting out some of my favourite rock songs, and the cost? Less than one modestly priced punt/hour!!

My apologies to those of you in the pc business for any doubts I may have expressed, he was the best vfm I've known for many a long day (with the notable exception of my latest punt, because that was priceless!) :P

Thanks to you all - the main problems were a faulty power unit and viruses aplenty, to which he added some more RAM I'd bought way back. In all, a great result.

Am very pleased you got it sorted.

But really you could have fixed this yourself. I know it sounds daunting - like everything before you do it the first time.

But Ram is the easiest thing in a PC to replace, or install.

for the viruses all he would have done - or should have done - was wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows. However if all he did was got a virus checker software and ran a scan I would personally be pee'd if he charged you for a fix on that regard.