Lilly B

Has My Computer Died ?

20 posts in this topic

Hope someone can help here - My home computer is about 6 years old, an HP Pavillion 1250 with a HP pavillion screen f1703. Last couple of days it would get stuck on the power down black screen (not screensaver) and I'd have to turn the whole thing off for it to rebook ok.

Last night it was stuck again... goes to power down black screen after not being used for a while... this time it won't boot up past the power save red, blue, green box. Nothing more. Wireless mouse, keyboard and the tabletop receiver are also not working (all batteries are good, the receiver is USB's to the hard drive, this has no lights on it like it should. Have tried in another USB and still no lights.

Have tried unplugging totally from wall, leaving overnight, then plugging all in, still won't reboot past the power down box on the screen, lights on mouse/keyboard receiver still not on.

What do I need to replace ? Have I been got by a virus ? I use AVG and is always up to date automatically.

:(

Thanks heavens for my little notepad

When you turn it on does it go through "POST" if not does it give any combination of "Beeps"?

When you turn it on does it go through "POST" if not does it give any combination of "Beeps"?

Don't entirely get the terms, but when I turn the hard drive on, that makes its normal whirring noises, screens power switch goes blue, then the 'warning' PC entering power save red/blue/green box. No noises. After about 5 seconds screen goes fully black and power switch on screen goes orange.

Do you like my technical terms B)

Hope I'm making some sense anyway - thanks

Don't entirely get the terms, but when I turn the hard drive on, that makes its normal whirring noises, screens power switch goes blue, then the 'warning' PC entering power save red/blue/green box. No noises. After about 5 seconds screen goes fully black and power switch on screen goes orange.

When you turn a PC on it goes through "Post" think thats means "Power On System Test" usualy when it passes this the PC will give a short beep (this comes from the case speaker thats connected to the motherboard, not your external speakers, its tiny, about 35mm across. if the PC has a componant problem the speaker will beep a code related to the problem, if your PC does not have a case speaker....this is not much help!

My PC developed a fault, on pressing the power button the screen went to Power saving mode and the case speaker gave 1 long beep then 3 short beeps, this indicated that the motherboard had a graphics fault and I had to replace the motherboard, graphics card was fine.

Have you tried starting in SAFE mode?

Do you have all the instalation CD's (Windows, Drivers, etc?).

Windows XP ?

No it doesn't get that far, I've had to do the safe mode thing before to fix other things.

On reading the HP website re my problem, it looks like I need a new monitor for sure, not even checked about the keyboard and mouse yet.

Computer is about 6 years old so I knew a new one was need. Last backed up my pics and music about 6 months ago, not much more added tho I would like to retrieve it somehow. Will get another HP and see if the new screen and bits will open the hard drive so I can get them backed up before putting on the new computer.

Bugger, bugger, bugger - if it's not pets getting ill and spending my money.. it's computers !

Thanks JKay for you help and time :)

No it doesn't get that far, I've had to do the safe mode thing before to fix other things.

On reading the HP website re my problem, it looks like I need a new monitor for sure, not even checked about the keyboard and mouse yet.

Computer is about 6 years old so I knew a new one was need. Last backed up my pics and music about 6 months ago, not much more added tho I would like to retrieve it somehow. Will get another HP and see if the new screen and bits will open the hard drive so I can get them backed up before putting on the new computer.

Bugger, bugger, bugger - if it's not pets getting ill and spending my money.. it's computers !

Thanks JKay for you help and time :)

call me paraniod, but I'd hang on to the disk or physically destroy it once you've transferred the data. Formatting is no good, boot & nuke much better, but keeping the disk or mechanically breaking it is the way to go.

call me paraniod, but I'd hang on to the disk or physically destroy it once you've transferred the data. Formatting is no good, boot & nuke much better, but keeping the disk or mechanically breaking it is the way to go.

After a bit a PM'ing with JKay (thanks again), and doing my own research, I've decided to write this computer off. It's been on a go slow for ages so I knew a replacement was in order, I'd just not planned it yet.

I will work out (with help) how to transfer (as it currently won't boot, as above) the stuff that's not already backed up and start drooling a little more at those touchscreen PC's that I didn't think were so good yet ! B)

Thanks awl :)

After a bit a PM'ing with JKay (thanks again), and doing my own research, I've decided to write this computer off. It's been on a go slow for ages so I knew a replacement was in order, I'd just not planned it yet.

I will work out (with help) how to transfer (as it currently won't boot, as above) the stuff that's not already backed up and start drooling a little more at those touchscreen PC's that I didn't think were so good yet ! B)

Thanks awl :)

1st step (for transferring data) I'd search ebay for "ide sata usb with power" and buy one of those kits for ~£10, your new machine will probably use sata (smallish hard disk connector) where as thev old one is probably ide (wide "1.5 ribbon cable ). This also alsos attaching the old hard disk without breaking any warranty seal on new pc

Edited by misterm

Aah so ! Is that like me using the old hard drive like an added piece of hardware to be used and accessed by the new computer ?

That sounds good - thanks !

The "power saving message" is probably from the monitor, going into economy mode because it is not receiving a video signal. The way to confirm this is to leave the computer itself turned off and just turn it on the monitor. It might only be the video card that has failed but really the only way find out is to start swapping components.

Do you hear the power supply fan come on ? PSU probably ok.

Do you hear the hard drive spin up and the little green light on the front go green turn on or flash green.

Does the hard drive 'chatter' for a while, as the computer boots up. Mother board + CPU

Do you hear the

? If so it is probably only the graphics card.

The case cover should come off easily, does the CPU fan spin up ?

Keep your hard disk,

, you will need a small Philips (X head) screwdriver.

Aah so ! Is that like me using the old hard drive like an added piece of hardware to be used and accessed by the new computer ?

That sounds good - thanks !

you got it, if you want you can even get a external case so the disk is like the external drives you buy in shops (you just need to know if it's ide or sata), google for pics

You'd normally only use it to recover documents and the like, programs should be reinstalled from scratch.

If windows moans about permissions I can give you instructions to get around this

Edited by misterm

Thanks guys :)

Misterm I'll be getting one of those USB things so thanks for that, it's only really pictures, don't think I've written any important docs since I last wiped and started the computer again a couple of years ago. It's mainly pics I want to recover and I get that about programs downloading again.

And Wyke Tyke, I've decided to give up on this computer without trying to fix it, my little notepad is faster than it was when it worked. No doubt it was full of junk even tho I regularly did all the disc defrags and cleaning files.

Do you hear the power supply fan come on ? PSU probably ok. fan does come on

Do you hear the hard drive spin up and the little green light on the front go green turn on or flash green. yes

Does the hard drive 'chatter' for a while, as the computer boots up. Mother board + CPU not for as long as normal

Do you hear the windows start up tune? If so it is probably only the graphics card. no

The case cover should come off easily, does the CPU fan spin up ? not checked

Will be looking to see what I can recover, and then remove the hard drive

Thanks for all your help guys :)

Just put the old har drive into the new PC if there's room, and have it as a slave. That way, you boot from the new one, but can still access your data from the old one. Once you have everything you need, you can dispose of the old one, or format it and keep it as a backup drive.

If there's no space, you can get USB 2 to Sata/IDE cables pretty cheap, and get the data back that way. I have one and used it a few times to rescue file for people.

Just put the old har drive into the new PC if there's room, and have it as a slave. That way, you boot from the new one, but can still access your data from the old one. Once you have everything you need, you can dispose of the old one, or format it and keep it as a backup drive.

If the original PC is 6 years old it will be an IDE drive and most new motherboards now do not even come with this port on the motherboard they are all SATA based.

I would say its worth not just writing off the old system as you can keep it as a spare or for another room.

First thing it was suggested earlier that it was the monitor faulty, I would say this is the least likely.

If when you turn on the system you can hear the fans running but the display is blank the two likely reasons for this is a problem with the PSU or GPU (graphics card). The third likely reason is a temperature issue but if you are turning it on from leaving it for a while that is unlikely. But it might be worth opening up the side case of your Pc and blowing out all the dust and gunk that builds up on the PC over time as this could possibly fix the issue.

If you have a discrete graphics card in your system (as opposed to using the motherboards onboard graphics) you can connect the monitors VGA connector to the motherboards VGA port and then disable the graphics card in the bios and see if this boots up.

Or better still just open the side case of the PC and just remove the graphics card and then connect it to the motherboard graphics port.

Regarding transferring the data from your old system what you will need is a 3.5" IDE to USB2 caddy. These can be bought for about £10-£15.

Sounds like I need to get the screwdriver out - good advice - thank you x

But this is also where I need a man about the house who likes tinkering :D

I'll give the thing a good clean and blow for sure to see what happens, tho thanks for saying it's the IDE USB2 caddy I need :)

I know I'm showing my ignorance with computers here, but I only like them when they're working - a bit of safe mode and modest tinkering with an alive computer to fix stuff I can manage, but I've never opened up a computer before - when it gets to that stage, I'll freely admit, I like new shiny things :unsure:B)

but I've never opened up a computer before - when it gets to that stage, I'll freely admit, I like new shiny things :unsure:B)

Its a bit intimidating before you do it. When I first got into computers if someone suggested this I would be like no way as you think along the lines of all electrical appliances - you wouldn't start ripping the covering off your microwave if that stopped working for example

But PCs are built these days a kit components and really designed to be opened up and added to messed around with. And its quite fun seeing what you can do with the system once you open it.

There are some really good videos on youtube for all you could possibly want to do so if you are worried about doing something wrong you can give them a look over.

I would say the best thing to try if you have a separate graphics card would be to try the system without it.

Or as another suggestion if you know anyone with a PC and you are using the onboard graphics on your system and not a separate card then you can grab your hands on a discrete graphics card you can put it into your system and this may fix the problem as it may be a problem with the onboard graphics port. (make sure you get the right card though as if its 6 years old it may be an AGP graphics card port your motherboard has not the current PCI express graphics card ports).

If that does not fix it then it may be the PSU.

You can buy cheap PSU's from ebay, personally of the cheap brands on ebay I would say to go for a Hiper PSU around 400w as these are very good and you can usually get them for about £10 on ebay.

But getting the old system working again would be good for if you ever want to upgrade the new system you get (as in putting in a new graphics card or CPU in there to improve it).

My problem outlined under 'Power Cuts' was not entirely dissimilar - I eventually lost everything starting with loss of sound, intelli mouse and keyboard. A new power unit and battery to the motherboard were the main remedies.

I live in the stone age as far as technicalities go (although I rattle of many a screed in Word and do useful spreadsheets in Excel), for me the pc is a tool just as a car is and how they work is another dimension. Best of luck, it's a miserable time when either the car or pc pack in and I'll cross my fingers the moment I've sent this! :mellow: