danrogers

memory sticks query

6 posts in this topic

If I download a directory off my PC onto a memeory stick

is it possible for anyone using the stick to see what my computer ID code is ??

Or do they just see saved files with no link back to the source PC?

Thanx

If the memory stick is standard FAT32 file system it doesn't leak any information. However some file types, especially Office documents like .DOC, PDF, etc can leak meta-data, like author, company etc.

If I download a directory off my PC onto a memeory stick

is it possible for anyone using the stick to see what my computer ID code is ??

Or do they just see saved files with no link back to the source PC?

Thanx

Your best to zip it with a long complex password, and ideally use something like AES/256 encryption. Depending on the make of memory stick, it may hold all sorts of personal info, even using FAT32, if it has usage tracking enabled. I try and do everything like, punternet, adult~work, banking in separate VM's, running on some remote computer.

Your best to zip it with a long complex password, and ideally use something like AES/256 encryption. Depending on the make of memory stick, it may hold all sorts of personal info, even using FAT32, if it has usage tracking enabled. I try and do everything like, punternet, adult~work, banking in separate VM's, running on some remote computer.

Totally agree about virtualization to keep things secure.

WRT encryption on memory sticks, TrueCrypt takes some beating IMO. Well worth a look, although it does require administrator privileges on machines it's being run on to install the program, but otherwise it's fast, transparent and very secure.

B

I've got a memory stick that has suddenly decided to be 'read only' which is NFG to anyone.

Suggestions please on how to make it read/write, or do I drop in the nearest bin?

I've got a memory stick that has suddenly decided to be 'read only' which is NFG to anyone.

Suggestions please on how to make it read/write, or do I drop in the nearest bin?

Some memory sticks have a physical "lock" to prevent accidental writing, just take a look and see if that is the case and that it is in the "Unlocked" position.