Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Laura Lee

I Bring You Fantastic News, Re Melissa Farley

26 posts in this topic

It would seem that a group of sex workers and psychologists have moved to have the APA rescind her membership.

Over the years, Dr Farley has published a number of papers and documents about sex work, making

claims that all sex work is a form of violence against women. She has used several of her studies to

back this up. In 2008 Dr Farley published the paper What Really Happened in New Zealand after

Prostitution was Decriminalized in 2003? on her website critiquing the Report of the Prostitution Law

Review Committee. This critique contains several errors of fact that appear to be deliberately

designed to mislead people. Many of the false allegations made by Dr Farley in this paper have been

repeated by her in her efforts to stigmatise sex workers and keep them criminal. Dr Farley appears

to have read the complete report, but has only reported or critiqued those parts that match her

ideology. In investigating her comments on this paper further, it was discovered that Dr Farley had

completed research in New Zealand in 2003 without seeking ethical approval from the New Zealand

Psychological Society (NZPsS). It was also discovered that during the course of this research, she

claimed to be able to diagnose sex workers as having post traumatic stress disorder, despite using a

flawed questionnaire, and not doing in depth interviews.

It is noted that Dr Farley has also completed other studies overseas, and investigations this year indicate that

she never sought ethical approval, and sought to deliberately deceive the groups who facilitated the

research for her. She has also been cited as an expert witness, yet the testimony given is false

or misleading. Finally, the Canadian courts have found Dr Farley to be a less than reliable witness,

finding her evidence “to be problematic”. For the reasons in the text below, I believe her work is

unethical, unbecoming of a psychologist, and is in breach of at least sections 5.01 and 8.10of the

APA’s Code of Ethics, perhaps more. I believe that because of these breaches, Dr Farley should be removed

from the membership of the APA.

Yes - I saw this too...

I find it very strange that a researcher Canadian courts (not to mention countless real academics) find a biased and non-credible witness gets 30% of her research funding from the US government.

God bless America.

It would seem that a group of sex workers and psychologists have moved to have the APA rescind her membership.

Over the years, Dr Farley has published a number of papers and documents about sex work, making

claims that all sex work is a form of violence against women. She has used several of her studies to

back this up. In 2008 Dr Farley published the paper What Really Happened in New Zealand after

Prostitution was Decriminalized in 2003? on her website critiquing the Report of the Prostitution Law

Review Committee. This critique contains several errors of fact that appear to be deliberately

designed to mislead people. Many of the false allegations made by Dr Farley in this paper have been

repeated by her in her efforts to stigmatise sex workers and keep them criminal. Dr Farley appears

to have read the complete report, but has only reported or critiqued those parts that match her

ideology. In investigating her comments on this paper further, it was discovered that Dr Farley had

completed research in New Zealand in 2003 without seeking ethical approval from the New Zealand

Psychological Society (NZPsS). It was also discovered that during the course of this research, she

claimed to be able to diagnose sex workers as having post traumatic stress disorder, despite using a

flawed questionnaire, and not doing in depth interviews.

It is noted that Dr Farley has also completed other studies overseas, and investigations this year indicate that

she never sought ethical approval, and sought to deliberately deceive the groups who facilitated the

research for her. She has also been cited as an expert witness, yet the testimony given is false

or misleading. Finally, the Canadian courts have found Dr Farley to be a less than reliable witness,

finding her evidence “to be problematic”. For the reasons in the text below, I believe her work is

unethical, unbecoming of a psychologist, and is in breach of at least sections 5.01 and 8.10of the

APA’s Code of Ethics, perhaps more. I believe that because of these breaches, Dr Farley should be removed

from the membership of the APA.

Laura,

Can you provide a source for your quoted text or even better a link to the original. Thanks.

Laura,

Can you provide a source for your quoted text or even better a link to the original. Thanks.

Certainly - it's a 115 page document.

Link here.

Some more light lunchtime reading material here too.

Thank you to Pabulum for that. :)

Found Julie Bindel's 'Guide For Journalists Reporting on Prositution and Trafficking of Women' LINK - not for the faint hearted !

Wonder if it would be worth applying some of what's been mentioned in the Melissa Farely case and sending it on to the body which deals with ethics in jouralism, or at least get this piece of Nazifem propaganda pulled ?

I would have presumed any 'guidance' given to journos would be from an unbiased source ?

So what happened? Did the APA rescind her membership after all?

So what happened? Did the APA rescind her membership after all?

Yes, they did.  :cool:

Found Julie Bindel's 'Guide For Journalists Reporting on Prositution and Trafficking of Women' LINK - not for the faint hearted !

Wonder if it would be worth applying some of what's been mentioned in the Melissa Farely case and sending it on to the body which deals with ethics in jouralism, or at least get this piece of Nazifem propaganda pulled ?

I would have presumed any 'guidance' given to journos would be from an unbiased source ?

The internationally agreed definition of trafficking is contained in The UN Optional Protocol on Trafficking 
in Human Beings (widely known as the Palermo Protocol). The Palermo Protocol acknowledges that 
traffi cking and prostitution are intrinsically linked, and rejects the false distinction between ‘free’ and ‘forced’ 
prostitution. The Protocol states that the consent of the victim is irrelevant; that facilitating the movement of 
women for prostitution within (as well as across) borders constitutes traffi cking, and that governments have a 
responsibility to tackle the demand for prostitution. Please note the wording below:

Article 3
For the purposes of this Protocol:
(a) ‘Trafficking in persons’ shall mean the recruitment, transportation, transfer, harbouring 
or receipt of persons, by means of the threat or use of force or other forms of coercion, of 
abduction, of fraud, of deception, of the abuse of power or of a position of vulnerability or 
of the giving or receiving of payments or benefits to achieve the consent of a person having 
control over another person, for the purpose of exploitation. 
Exploitation shall include, at a minimum, the exploitation of the prostitution of others or 
other forms of sexual exploitation, forced labour or services, slavery or practices similar to 
slavery, servitude or the removal of organs;
The consent of a victim of trafficking in persons to the intended exploitation set forth in 
subparagraph (a) of this article shall be irrelevant…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Ms Bindel needs to learn to read properly, as it doesn't quite say there's no distinction between forced and willing women. A woman who agrees to travel to the UK to work as a prostitute, with no force/fraud etc. is not trafficked....it's right there in black and white. The section, as far as I'm reading it, is simply saying that if they're tricked into coming here and THEN agree to the EXPLOITATION i.e. the sex work etc. then that will be irrelevant. It does not say that consent to the TRAFFICKING is irrelevant. Just consent to the exploitation. I know for a fact she's not a stupid woman...she's just a devious little cow who thinks that the apparent ambiguity of the section will assist her little crusade.
Edited by punter992005
1 person likes this

Yes, they did.  :cool:

Great to have that confirmed, do you have a link we can use.

So the APA upheld a complaint against her and kicked her out, the Canadian courts threw out her research as "problematic", and she has on her website what appears to be a list of jokes about gang rape and incest.

And yet abolitionists (Rhoda Grant included) still continue to make heavy use of her "research"  to justify why sex work among consenting adults should be criminalised?

If the complaint was upheld they made a good job of keeping it quiet I can't find a source anywhere. Farley's Wiki page needs updated :D (and Wikipedia requires sources)

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Fringe_theories/Noticeboard  I found this:

Melissa Farley

Melissa Farley is quoted in many articles as a accredited psychologist but is no longer is no longer accredited member of APA following Ethics violations over fraudulent fabricated research and there are many editors guarding article about her pet theories that quote her. This needs sorting out before these subject become laughing stock. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 178.208.204.151 (talkcontribs)

The proper place for this notice is the Wikipedia:Biographies of living persons/Noticeboard. At any rate, you will have to cite a notice from the APA, or a news item, saying that Farley has been dropped from APA's list. You cannot simply make the statement without supporting cite. Binksternet (talk) 19:53, 21 April 2013 (UTC) As posted on the talk page of that article, please provide a citation quickly or this will be taken to Wikipedia:Oversight. Incidentally, the APA is not a regulatory agency or organization and does not "accredit" psychologists. Location (talk) 20:10, 21 April 2013 (UTC)

If Farley has been kicked out after a complaint it's important people who quote her know about it!

Maybe a freedom of information request would suffice in finding exactly what happened. But how does one go about making one?

She may not be listed on APA any longer but see Melissa Farley, Clinical Physcologists now with Center for World Indigenous Studies and recently took part in :- 

The Scholars’ Circle & Insighters Radio- Mar. 17th, 2013

"The United Nations has concluded its annual conference on the status of women with a focus on ending violence against women at a time when modern slavery has become a more than $35 billion industry that enslaves millions of people, mostly women and girls. The State Department estimated that in 2012, 27 million people were being held as slaves, most as sex slaves, and many held in western nations. Just last week, in fact, a UK commission found more than 1000 cases of enslavement. Most were women and girls forced into sexual exploitation. What are the realities of trafficking and slavery in 2013?We spend the hour exploring the realities of human trafficking, modern day slavery and exploitation."

Just last week, in fact, a UK commission found more than 1000 cases of enslavement. Most were women and girls forced into sexual exploitation.

Cheers Melanieabz. This Melissa Farley is a clever cow. I'm guessing she's referring to the Centre for Social Justice report that came out in March iirc. She's trying to make the reader infer that 1000 cases were found in one week,. It was 1186 in one year. Sexual exploitation as a reason for enslavement did come ahead of labour exploitation and domestic servitude, but at 458 was less than those two combined. Farley is trying to make the reader infer that sexual exploitation made up the majority. The numbers were for Potential victims of Trafficking. Around 1/3rd end up being confirmed as actual victims although many of the rest could be it's always hard to establish these things.

What Melissa Farley says:

Just last week, in fact, a UK commission found more than 1000 cases of enslavement. Most were women and girls forced into sexual exploitation.

What the truth is:

There were over 1000 cases of *potential* enslavement cases for the entire year. Less than half of that number were for sexual trafficking. 66% were female and 34% were males (so there are potentially a lot more male victims of trafficking than farley would have you believe.)

http://www.soca.gov.uk/about-soca/library/doc_download/474-nrm-provisional-statistics-2012

Appears the complaint made by Calum Bennachie was NOT upheld.

prostitutionresearch.com/WhyIMade.html

Anyone remember the page of rape "jokes" Farley had on her website for years and years (The "Why I became a prostitute" page)? Recently the page has been removed. I wonder why?

Edited by YourSlave

I wonder if the removal had anything to do with the recent bill that failed in Scotland? I wonder if the debate brought attention to her page and she started getting heat for it that she couldn't handle, so she just pulls the page and pretends it never existed  :D