porker paul

The New Format

40 posts in this topic

Now that the new format is up and running it contains a number of features which are not entirely clear to me. Is there somewhere I could go to find out more?

The questions I have at the moment are

• Why do some threads have a blob and others a star in the left hand column?
  • Why are some in bold type and others in feint
  • What is the function and use of the HOT Topic flash?

Doubtless other queries will arise and I look forward to guidance.

Thanks P

Bold threads are those you have visitted

Star is a thread with new posts since your last visit

Bold threads are those you have visitted Star is a thread with new posts since your last visit

Really, i thought a star was a thread i had posted on. :(

Really, i thought a star was a thread i had posted on, and i have just checked before editing this post and no one has posted on it since i did and a star is against it. I quoted instead of edited though. :(

Edited by smiths

Am I missing something??

When i open a topic, all I see is a series of posts in chronological order. There is no thread of reply and counter reply to specific points.

is there a setting to bring up a threaded format??

Really, i thought a star was a thread i had posted on. :(

A faint star (and a non bolded title) means it is a thread you have posted in with no unread posts

A bold star (and a bolded title) means it is a thread you have posted in with unread posts

A bold circle (and a bolded title) means it is a thread you have not posted in with unread posts

A thread with no icon (and a non bolded title) means it is a thread you have not posted in with no unread posts.

A faint star (and a non bolded title) means it is a thread you have posted in with no unread posts A bold star (and a bolded title) means it is a thread you have posted in with unread posts A bold circle (and a bolded title) means it is a thread you have not posted in with unread posts A thread with no icon (and a non bolded title) means it is a thread you have not posted in with no unread posts.

You old techy wizard, thanks. ;):D

Am I missing something?? When i open a topic, all I see is a series of posts in chronological order. There is no thread of reply and counter reply to specific points. is there a setting to bring up a threaded format??

This sounds like the pr

Help, where's the smilies gone?

When you post above you is a tab of options including font and size and there is a yellow smilie, click on that and it brings all the smilies up or it does for me. ;):D

You old techy wizard, thanks. ;):D

Dan Leno led me in the right direction. Without his hints, I was equally clueless. Cheers Dan.

Dan Leno led me in the right direction. Without his hints, I was equally clueless. Cheers Dan.

Fair enough, cheers from me to Dan as well then. ;)

When you post above you is a tab of options including font and size and there is a yellow smilie, click on that and it brings all the smilies up or it does for me. ;):D

I'm on the iPad tonight and there is a distinct lack of options above the window where I enter the text whilst posting. Smilies are conspicuous by their absence <frowns>.

P.S. And I have definitely "enabled emoticons"

Durrrr... where's the "mark all messages as read" button ?

or maybe there ain't one ?

Another example of an upgrade that is retrogade?

God! The more I investigate this new format, the more I think it is really crap!!!

This sounds like the pr

Too cryptic for me!

Bugger the smilies!

I come here for a conversation not a series of unrelated statements.

Is there any way of seeing topics in a threaded format so that I can see replies to specific comments?

Aesthetically, the new version is nice and clean. The only gripe I have at the moment is that when you view the board via the 'View New Content' feature, the previous version would take you to the first unread post in a thread automatically, but this version takes you to the 1st post, and it seems you have to then click the 'Go to first unread post' link at the top.

Is there any setting that makes it take you to the first unread post automatically? I had a look, but can't find one.

Thanks.

This sounds like the pr

Too cryptic for me!

Weirdly i only quoted Phils post but yours somehow got quoted as well. I am not having the problem you describe so can only advise PMing Galahad who sorted my problems out yesterday. :)

Edited by smiths

it brings all the smilies up or it does for me. ;):D

But brings them up in a separate window which you must remember to close when you log out. Otherwise it stays on your screen, visible to all. Just a warning hint.

But brings them up in a separate window which you must remember to close when you log out. Otherwise it stays on your screen, visible to all. Just a warning hint.

Doesnt bring them up in a separate window when i post them, i just click on the smilie symbol above and it brings then all up below the post for me to choose one or more, and once posted isnt there anymore. :)

Why has my profile suddenly got "warn status"on it .how do i get rid of it,it dosen't sound very nice.

If I click the smiliy I get a banner of smileys at the bottom, if I then click "show all" I do get the separate pop out window. This applies to either the quick reply box or the full editor.

Compared to some forums we seem to have an extremely limited number of smlleys anyway.

Edited by Diamond Geezer

If I click the smiliy I get a banner of smileys at the bottom, if I then click "show all" I do get the separate pop out window. This applies to either the quick reply box or the full editor. Compared to some forums we seem to have an extremely limited number of smlleys anyway.

I see what you mean, i havent needed to click on show all yet as the smilies i use most often are displayed without needing to once i click on the smiley icon above the posts. :)

Why has my profile suddenly got "warn status"on it .how do i get rid of it,it dosen't sound very nice.

Warn Status was there before. If its totally white in the bar then that means you have no warnings for breaking rules, if it is a different colour then you have done something which i assume the Mods inform you about, or maybe you have to ask them. :)

Edited by smiths