Galahad

29 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have heard from a number of people who access this site in environments where discretion is of utmost importance, and having a page full of body parts on their screen is off-putting.

Unfortunately, there is not a feature built into this forum software to allow a user to turn off the display of avatars and profile photos. I am researching how to modify the forum to accomplish this, but in the meantime I have disabled the avatars.

I hope to be able to restore them soon once I have a way for people who don't want to see them to turn them off. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo ! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I was just going to ask where mine had gone - oh well.

It's a shame, I thought they were an enhancement to the system. Bring them back ASAP please G

Hi all,

I have heard from a number of people who access this site in environments where discretion is of utmost importance, and having a page full of body parts on their screen is off-putting.

Unfortunately, there is not a feature built into this forum software to allow a user to turn off the display of avatars and profile photos. I am researching how to modify the forum to accomplish this, but in the meantime I have disabled the avatars.

I hope to be able to restore them soon once I have a way for people who don't want to see them to turn them off. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Good luck with that! but why not simply make it crystal clear that nudity or sexual acts will not be tolerated as avatars and punish offenders with a short sharp Ghengis type infarction type thing. As I've said Avatars could be a valuable tool that would help business for the ladies, increase use of the board by ladies leading to an increase in use by the chaps. Everyone is happy! You could even appoint an Avatar mod to keep a beady eye out.

P.S. Could not people hide the poster who offends them?

Edited by Helen Jones

I agree with the Boooo :( I think they make the site more fun...and as this is a sex forum..neked boobies shouldnt be a big deal. x

just duplicate the standard skin and comment of the html image tag.

Tried that.. unfortunately those img tags are scattered throughout the code and I haven't been able to locate them all. The ones that show up in the individual posts are buried somewhere in a object's methods.

Haven't given up yet though!

I do think the ability for members (male and female) to add avatars is a nice feature, as long as people do not add offensive content, they can add an image which reflects them as a poster, or none at all and that can only help improve the forum, after all this is 2011, not 1991 and text only internet.

I can understand some users want a different theme and I'm sure it is possible to do that so they can select a theme without images for privacy purposes. I don't know this software, but could test bench it, normally forums run a template based system or the index template does have the ability to remove tags.

Unfortunately, it appears that the supplier of the forum software Galahad uses has taken upon himself to remove the user option to not display avatars. It was there in previous versions, but not in this latest release. The supplier believes that users were getting bewildered by the array of options available to them in their settings pages and wanted to simplify things. This has created a bit of a furore on their own users forum but the upshot is, that feature is not available in 3.2.

Unless Galahad can find a clever way around it, we seem to be stuck with the all on/all off options only.

Bizarre decision from IPS, I must say.

As I have stated elsewhere ... I am much in favour of Avaturs, its a bit of fun and adds a bit of personality to the board.

If you want to be dicreet .............don't log in at your Office desk !!

Anyways ... I gotta scarper .. Teccy stuff ....tags and codes .....Urg !! .........Not for me !!

Good luck with that! but why not simply make it crystal clear that nudity or sexual acts will not be tolerated as avatars and punish offenders with a short sharp Ghengis type infarction type thing. As I've said Avatars could be a valuable tool that would help business for the ladies, increase use of the board by ladies leading to an increase in use by the chaps. Everyone is happy! You could even appoint an Avatar mod to keep a beady eye out.

P.S. Could not people hide the poster who offends them?

You want to punish them with a heart attack? Bit extreme that, Helen.

As I have stated elsewhere ... I am much in favour of Avaturs, its a bit of fun and adds a bit of personality to the board.

If you want to be dicreet .............don't log in at your Office desk !!

Anyways ... I gotta scarper .. Teccy stuff ....tags and codes .....Urg !! .........Not for me !!

Add to that not to log in at home if you are married/have kids then as well. Not all people can have a screen up with naked pictures at home or at work as there may be other people around. Text forums are so much easier to explain from a distance!

Edited by Danish Pia

You want to punish them with a heart attack? Bit extreme that, Helen.

Yes - What was it he was so fond of dishing out :huh: It was infractions of course! Although I'm sure some of the more risqué avatars may well have dished out infarctions. :P

I'm not that bothered about Avatars either way but suppose I would vote for them if pushed. However, I really dislike these empty silhouettes that we have now. I'm certain Galahad would have disabled them if the option was available to him but other forums I use tend to just be avatars or not rather than these empty boxes.

Oh well, had a whinge........

Add to that not to log in at home if you are married/have kids then as well. Not all people can have a screen up with naked pictures at home or at work as there may be other people around. Text forums are so much easier to explain from a distance!

Agreed. I would welcome the option to turn them on or off.

I was just going to start a topic asking for Avatars.

Could I ask could we have a series of default Avatars to chose from; many forums have a default list of about 50 Avatars that you can have as your own without neading to scour the internet for one.

Avatars ? whatever next ? emoticons ? :P;)

im having problems uploading a profile photo of myself HELP

Any plans to turn back on the profile photo feature ?

I tried to put an avatar, too. To me they are a very useful feature, and make for a more personalized experience. I don't know what software are you using, but apparently the mechanism is there, only there is a 0KB image size limit that obviously forbids you to upload any avatar.

I tried to put an avatar, too. To me they are a very useful feature, and make for a more personalized experience. I don't know what software are you using, but apparently the mechanism is there, only there is a 0KB image size limit that obviously forbids you to upload any avatar.

I think that is because the feature is disabled.

1 person likes this

I think that is because the feature is disabled.

Yes, however my point was -- I'm a former software engineer -- that it seems the feature has been disabled with a trick, so it should only a matter of increasing that limit. It doesn't look as it has been removed.

Yes, however my point was -- I'm a former software engineer -- that it seems the feature has been disabled with a trick, so it should only a matter of increasing that limit. It doesn't look as it has been removed.

How much work have you done today?  You've had a lot of time on your hands judging by the number of posts you have made.

The feature was disabled deliberately by Galahad afaik, that way the forum is essentially a plain text environment which makes for discreet browsing, and therefore less likely to attract attention if someone were to glance over your shoulder.  I think that was the original reason behind the decision.  I may be wrong.

How much work have you done today?  You've had a lot of time on your hands judging by the number of posts you have made.

Zero work. Plenty of time on my hands. All day, actually, as I enjoy the fruits of my past hard work. I said  I'm a former software engineer, not a current one.

The feature was disabled deliberately by Galahad afaik, that way the forum is essentially a plain text environment which makes for discreet browsing, and therefore less likely to attract attention if someone were to glance over your shoulder.  I think that was the original reason behind the decision.  I may be wrong.

You are right. Anyway, I voiced my opinion because this discussion was two years old, and I thought that things could have changed meanwhile. Punternet is unique in its choice, but it has the right to be so. After all it's not that bad, one just needs to strive more to remember users.

Though I wonder what those "environments where discretion is of utmost importance" are. I hope those people are not browsing from work, because then -- again, because of my former work experience -- I know that their discretion is illusory, as administrators of their network can read everything that they read and write, including their user name and password.